It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Anyone ever consider that Bush banned cloning to keep it all for secret government use?

Think about his argument. "Cloning is unethical." Many people, including myself, were amazed when we were finally able to "clone." This was the kind of topic you'd find in science fiction. To think that such a landmark in human technology would be banned so quickly might raise some suspicion

What I'm saying here is, perhaps the government is using cloning for its own purposes? Keeping such technology away from the public is obviously the way to go.

On a side note, this reminds me of government coverup attempts back in the Roswell UFO crash. It was all over the news that a UFO had been identified in Roswell. Yet, the government tried to convince the general public that this was in fact not a UFO. Here we have cloning all over the news, yet Bush is trying to ban it and maybe keep it secret? Hmm....

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well Bush is a religious man(and yes, I know he's a little gun ho for a christian) and I dont think he wants people to be playing god. Maybe the government is testing it, not exactly using it, but i'm really not sure.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
just because he is religious doesnt mean he has the right to ban it. it has to go thru congress 1st i think. i never saw a single jewish president. all of them are christian based religions makes you think about that too right?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have to agree with Tek. Bush is born-again and it goes against the christian right's beliefs that only god can create life. I would love to see the government allow scientist to run with this technology. Can you imagine being able to grow kidneys, livers and the like?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
I have to agree with Tek. Bush is born-again and it goes against the christian right's beliefs that only god can create life. I would love to see the government allow scientist to run with this technology. Can you imagine being able to grow kidneys, livers and the like?

i believe they are already testing on making syntheticcally grown hearts for heart implants

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Cloning has nothing to do with growing livers or any other body organs.

Cloning is actually pretty simple, but only until recently have we had the proper technology to go about doing it. Simply put, this is how cloning works:

1. Take the egg of an organism, it can be from any parent
2. Extract the nucleus from any cell originating from the individual you are attempting to clone
3. Remove the nucleus from the egg
4. Replace the missing nucleus from the egg with the nucleus obtained from the cell
5. You're done!

So as you can see, you can take any human egg. To clone myself I can use an egg from a family totally unrelated to myself. All I have to do is take a nucleus from my cell and replace it. Why? Because your genetic data is all contained within the nucleus (DNA, RNA, etc.)

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackout

While this may be offensive to most people, I see no problem with producing a clone, suppressing higher brain function and using it for organ harvesting. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my earlier post.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Whether we like it or not it's going to happen, because there is a demand. We can try to make it illegal, but there will always be somewhere on the planet where it will be done. I'd rather see it done in the open where we can regulate it, than in secret labs around the world.

Originally posted by Blackout

I'm not an expert on the subject but I think at the very least studying the technology of cloning can lead to reproducing organs which are similiar or identical for replacement. While maybe not the technically correct terminology I think that's what meant by cloning organs.

While this may be offensive to most people, I see no problem with producing a clone, suppressing higher brain function and using it for organ harvesting. Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my earlier post.

While I have no problem with growing new organs using a test tube, people or other animals as hosts, I'm not so sure about cloning myself for that. If we are nothing more then a shell with a brain then I'd say okay disable higher brainfunction before it became aware, but if we are more than that, that would be bad. Almost like incarcerating folks for no reason other than to use thier body tissues & organs for those who can afford it.

However, if there is a soul and as some believe it enters the body at a certain time triggered by the relase of certain chemicals in the brain, I suppose we could disable that function from occuring and end up with an empty shell for harvest.

Of course there's the more sinister idea like we see in Sci-fi movies where the bad guys clone those in positions they want to aquire & secretly replace those people with pre-programmed clones to do their dirty deeds. Also cloning monsters, warriors to fight battles etc.

On the good side, Just like we use robots today, some day we might clone beings similar to ourselves to work in more dangerous envirements, such as nuke plants, underwater, & deep space.

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by outsider]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider

Of course there's the more sinister idea like we see in Sci-fi movies where the bad guys clone those in positions they want to aquire & secretly replace those people with pre-programmed clones to do their dirty deeds. Also cloning monsters, warriors to fight battles etc.

The way cloning can be used secretly by even the US is for the military. Back in WW2, Hitler tried to grasp the technology of cloning. For what? To expand the power of the Third Reich. Hitler wanted to clone his soldiers.

What reason is there to believe the U.S. may not be doing the same some day/already? Given a dire situation, there may be chances of cloning being involved in the military.

Also, for those skeptical about alien life on Earth, if our government does in fact have contact with aliens then this can prove important. What if they're cloning aliens? What if they're corresponding with aliens to somehow make use of cloning and create some hybrid army? I don't know, I'm just a bit skeptical. Last I read about aliens they were able to cross-breed humans and aliens as well as clone. You never know...

top topics

join