It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

WASHINGTON DC – Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) published documents online showing that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed 95 percent of the adoptable pets in its care during 2008. Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

According to public records from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, PETA killed 2,124 pets last year and placed only seven in adoptive homes. Since 1998, a total of 21,339 dogs and cats have died at the hands of PETA workers.

Despite having a $32 million budget, PETA does not operate an adoption shelter. PETA employees make no discernible effort to find homes for the thousands of pets they kill every year. Last year, the Center for Consumer Freedom petitioned Virginia’s State Veterinarian to reclassify PETA as a slaughterhouse.

Full Article Here

PETA the people for the ethical treatment of animals only allowed 7 animals in adoptive care! is that ethical?! shouldn't they want the animals to be put up for adoption? where does their $32 million budget go? they're not running an adoption shelter, so the money's not being used for keeping the animals alive....

what are your thoughts?

[edit on 2-4-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is interesting. I have long thought PETA was bull hockey. Here is what id like to know.

How many pets did they rescue
how many pets are put down by other organizations in total
how many pets are found homes by other organizations in total

These answers will show if on a percentage based formula if PETA is worse, the same or better than the organizations they compete with.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

I looked a little bit and found this from the SPCA

Overall, based on shelter statistics, the common goal will be to increase the community shelter adoption rate by at least 10 percent by the end of 2007, and towards a 75 percent ‘live release rate’ for the community shelter partners by 2010.
www.aspca.org...

No hard numbers if they think a reasonable goal is an increase of 10% their current rate it isnt hard to believe they are currently adopting more than 5%.

The rate seems to vary widely by location. There were some affiliated shelter with 12% rates and others pushing 50%.

Didn't PETA come out and say Knut was better off dead than in captivity a while ago? Then they got in trouble for dumping trash bags of dog carcasses in a dumpster. www.consumerfreedom.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Outside of the US government, PETA is the most hypocritical organization on the planet.

My local humane society adopts out in a single weekend, nearly twice what PETA did for the entire year. I'd be extremely interested to see where they're spending $32 million.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
They've got to be spending their money on their so called "protests" and the big names they get to yap thier gums about PETA at anyone that will listen.

It's a crazy idea to think that they would actually be trying to do some good for these animals. They seem to just use them and abuse their money and stature in the US.

I never understood PETA, and I guess I never will. I'll sit here with my happy dog that's napping on the couch.

A_L

Edit, I spelled it PITA (thinkin of food)

[edit on 4/2/2009 by another_lurker]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am a pet owner (2 dogs, 2 cats all adopted) and when I read this story it frankly, made my blood boil. This is hypocrisy at its finest.

I've never been a fan of PETA or their tactics, but this is just insane.

The pictures of the Humane Society folks opening the garbage bags with the dead dogs inside made me want to vomit.

They had a tackle box of full of poisons to euthanize the animals and then they put the corpses of the dead dogs and cats in trash bags and tossed them in dumpsters. WTF?

Nice one PETA, there goes the absolute last shred of credibility you may have had.

Their excuse was that these animals were going to die anyways?

Protection for the ethical treatment of animals indeed.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So what? They didn't EAT them did they? Perhaps they "humanely" slaughtered them. And in all honesty those PETA types would rather have an animal die than be a "slave" to a human slavemaster.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

I keep trying to get my dog to go to work for me but he refuses and just lays around the house until it's time for a walk.

Maybe you could remind him of his "slave" status for me? I get nothing but lip when I bring it up.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I put my two cats to work building a pyramid for me. As of yet, just a mound of kitty litter. PETA is a sick mess of freaks.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Someone needs to make sure that the new administration under President Obama learns of this dispicable behaviour of PETA. PETA needs to be shut down, instantly!!

IF they recieve 32 million dollars a year, they should be giving the cats and dogs away free, with a months worth of food also.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Perhaps we should simply begin euthanizing PETA employees and their sympathizers. That would be obviously better for the animals, the earth and the rest of us!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Would these doggie and kittykat murderers just set the animals free. especially in places like new york so they can eat the rats, running around dirty and having to eat rats and a handout here and there us better than being dead, in most cities around the world stray dogs are seen running around, and it's not really a problem, and why does new york have so many rats? I have seen some disterbing video of that place with rats all over the place.. better to have a few mangy dogs than a bunch of rats.

new topics

top topics

join