It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Promises, Promises: Obama Tax Pledge Up In Smoke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

One of President Barack Obama's campaign pledges on taxes went up in puffs of smoke Wednesday.

The largest increase in tobacco taxes took effect despite Obama's promise not to raise taxes of any kind on families earning under $250,000 or individuals under $200,000.

This is one tax that disproportionately affects the poor, who are more likely to smoke than the rich.

To be sure, Obama's tax promises in last year's campaign were most often made in the context of income taxes. Not always.

"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

I think everyone saw this coming with Obama's failure to live up to the other campaign promises he's already failed to follow through with. Oh well.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
When I first saw a sign on a Gas Station window, mentioning the tax, I questioned the cashier, she told me how high the price would be.

And immediately the song by David Bowie and Queen, "Under Pressure" came on in my head.

This has been posted here quite alot, but it's still a big FU to the people that put him in office. Because whether he believes that because he smokes, he makes over 250k a year, so thats ok, ergo only people making over 250k smoke, WRONG, a variety of people smoke.

We shouldn't have Tea Parties, we should have Cigarette Parties, he hasn't really taxed the heck out of tea that I know of, but he has taxed the heck out of Cigarettes.

join