It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Solar Minimum

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
In the Northwest of the U.S., where i live, it has been snowing very frequently which is very rare, and temperatures are much lower than they should be. likewise, other parts of the world are experiencing the same cold, while others experience heat, from the dissipation of the extra-heat the oceans have stored.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well as it happens , the SURFACE temperature of the sun, is only an indicator of just that. The core of the sun , and the surface , have disperate temperatures. The core is where dead (inert/spent) matter, is revived by the energies within, to create more active and therefore hotter material , and this cycle is continuous, even though at times the outworking of the cycle changes. Dont forget , that although sunspots are indeed less warm than other areas of the sun, they also put out more exotic matter.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I asked my astronomy professor about the deep minimum last night and basically what is happening is the sun's energy output is decreasing. He said astronomers started noticing problems as far back as 2006.

So I wouldn't worry about powerful flares.

So far scientists have been wrong about their predictions about the Sun, and Solar Cycle 24.

This could very well be the calm before the storm, and this is not scaremongering.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Well as it happens , the SURFACE temperature of the sun, is only an indicator of just that. The core of the sun , and the surface , have disperate temperatures. The core is where dead (inert/spent) matter, is revived by the energies within, to create more active and therefore hotter material , and this cycle is continuous, even though at times the outworking of the cycle changes. Dont forget , that although sunspots are indeed less warm than other areas of the sun, they also put out more exotic matter.

You are confusing the core of the Sun with the corona.

Noone knows exaclty what is at the core of the Sun.

We can see that the Corona of the Sun is brighter, and hotter than the surface.

And Sunspots in general are brighter, and hotter than the rest of the sun, the black spots you see are not part of the Sunspots, but it is the surface of the Sun that you are seeing.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Why must all of you look at things no further than your nose? Weather is a thousands of years trend. Not decades. AND, if the temperature is the "highest since 1933", what's your excuse for 1933? The men who INVENTED modern day meteorology say they believe we are headed for a Little Ice Age (LIA). So, apparently, you know more than they. As for the Earth's "climate change" (notice it's not global warming anymore?), man couldn't affect the climate if we tried. We only account for 15-20% of the CO2 emissions. The rest is natural. Like volcanos, etc.

AND, I'm not willing to pay TRILLIONS in taxes on a theory of what-if when we have hundreds of millions starving to death.

We've had heat cycles before (the dust bowl of the 30's), and many LIA's before. We will again...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just wondering "didnt read all the thread so forgive if this question has been asked"

if we are in a supper soloar minimum.. would that mean we are in for a very big light show when our good old sun wakes up from its slumber?

2012? new cyle starts in 11 "or ment to" im just wondering is there a BIG flair heading our way??

would make sens for all them underground bases heh Deep deep down from all them nasty rays?

just a thought, nice thread

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nunny
We only account for 15-20% of the CO2 emissions. The rest is natural. Like volcanos, etc.

I've often wondered about the stories of how many buffalo there were on the plains, and all that farting they did.

This whole thread is some good reading, I hope it doesn't get buried too quickly.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
i am deeply amused by some of the posts in this thread.

What does the sun have to do with global temperatures? Well if the sun wasnt there, our atmosphere would freeze and we would all die. It has EVERYTHING to do with our global temperatures, its the engine that runs this planet and the life upon it.

I mean cmon, some of you can't work out that this giant ball of nuclear heat, the center of our solar system, just might have something to do with average global temperatures? What do you think its made of? Pudding? Its thermal radiation people! When it gets hotter we get hotter, when it gets colder we get colder. Move us closer to the sun, and we burn, move us further away and we freeze, Earth sits in the habital band for this star. Does any of this seem relative?

I could add more, but many of you may be too busy placing your hands on hot stoves trying to work out where the burning sensations are coming from.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Here are a couple of other threads about this very same topic.

IMO this is the most important topic of discussion, because no matter what happens on Earth with mankind's wars, and such, what the Sun, and the entire Universe does has more of an impact in the lives of everyone.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW those people who mentioned about underground facilities are right, they will help to survive such an event, but also what will help is if you live closer to the northern hemisphere.

When the Earth's magnetic field collapses, it doesn't completely dissapear, the northern regions above 33 degree will offer more protection because the magnetic field will still be stronger there than at any other location. but if you are above the 33 degree zone and you are still in a coastal area, or very close to one you will be greatly affeccted by these changes. the best places are well inland, in an area that is high above sea level, and above the 33 degree zone. Take what you will from this advice.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nunny

Oh, I fully agree. The Earth has it's warming/ cooling trends that it goes through, it's been doing this long before we've been around. Another thing, why are these people so eager to blame man, when we have a record number of active volcanos going off. You've got the sun in a record quite spell. I mean sure man may have a small part in what's going on, but take in the big picture before anyone can say global warming is caused by man.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Here are a couple of other threads about this very same topic.

IMO this is the most important topic of discussion, because no matter what happens on Earth with mankind's wars, and such, what the Sun, and the entire Universe does has more of an impact in the lives of everyone.

This is true my friend. But I must say that we can control what we do to each other on the planet, but we can't control the sun or global temperatures. So I have to place mankind's behavior towards one another as the preeminent topic of discussion. Your's is second.

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the thread.

[edit on 8/4/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix

This is true my friend. But I must say that we can control what we do to each other on the planet, but we can't control the sun or global temperatures. So I have to place mankind's behavior towards one another as the preeminent topic of discussion. Your's is second.

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the thread.

[edit on 8/4/09 by John Matrix]

But what if through understanding and knowledge of such events could people survive who without the knowledge and understanding would not have survived?

This has happened seveal times throughout the history of mankind, and the history of Earth, and life always survived.

With knowledge people can prepare and survive.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The Sun has shown SOME activity recently.

Extended magnetic field (November 6, 2009)

STEREO (Ahead) was able to continue to observe an active region with its extended magnetic loops that had rotated out of view of SOHO and ground-based observers (Nov. 2-3, 2009). During the 40 hours of the clip, particles trace and make visible the magnetic field lines looping above the active region. The loops begin to elongate and extend outwards during the second half of the clip. The region even pops off a small solar storm towards the end of the clip. This was the largest active region we have seen in over a year. Maybe it will come around into view again for the STEREO (Behind) spacecraft in less than two weeks.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

However, it seems to have returned once again to the low level activty it has been experiencing, at least on the other side of the Sun.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It appears that since the public became aware that the solar minimum was hanging on, the climate has behaved exactly as it did at the end of the midevil warm period 700 years ago. The solar minimum caused the magnetic shield around the earth to allow more cosmic rays in thereby speeding evaporation, increasing cloud cover. The initial blow was through massive flooding which washed away precious topsoil from farmlands, the second blow came as growing seasons shortened. Finally, the earth was socked into the little ice age because the cloud cover reflected sunlight.

Human kind thrives during warm periods. Swamps dry up reducing desease carrying insects, populations grow. Then as the climate takes the turn the other way, food becomes scarce, populations dwindle due to starvation, desease.

Late crops in the US were harvested early the last two years meaning less food, farmlands have been flooded the last two years meaning less food, planting in my area was delayed almost a month this year meaning less food. I hope you are all seeing a pattern because with the current policies our governments are following, we are not going to be prepared to deal with it.

It has happened twice already in recorded history. The little ice age (Maunder Minimum) and the Dalton Minimum which hit later around the late 1700s to mid 1800s. The year without a summer, Washington's troops at Valley Forge took 12 hours to cross the Delaware river due to ice.

During these events, C02 drops below 200 ppm and plant growth comes to a halt. We are currently at 380 ppm, 1000 ppm is optimal for plant growth. Levels have been as high as 250,000 ppm. We teeter dangerously close to lower threshold.

WE MUST convince our governments to stop paying farmers to NOT grow food and begin to fill those grain silos. Second, WE MUST convince our governments to stop burning our food as fuel which artificially raises costs and is already responsible for worldwide famine. Third, we must begin to deversify food crops and concentrate on blight resistent species and more root crops. Cereal grains are too vernerable to a cold climate.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by Kryties
Anthropogenic Global Warming activists aren't interested in facts, they just play the "You're an Earth-wrecker" card and most people fall around at their feet.

You are right, they were not listening to the facts a few years back, and most likely there will still be quite a few that will continue to deny this even if they die frozen.

But who knows, lets wait and see if any of them responds to this thread, and let's see what they say...

It is a known fact that Co2 emmissions from society's ills is at a max and is only getting worse. So yeah, collect from the ones who ignore. The polluters polluting must stop. We have to many peoples on this earth who act as a cancer apon it. The solution is to reduce the amount of Pollutants on earth. This means a reduction in population, which will mean a reduction in polluting factories. SO, with this said, we should enact a law to reduce the population at once. The guidestones only reflect the seriousness of this issue. More people means more resources that are needed and the more we consume and create more pollutants of all kinds including Co2 emmissions. A serious reduction in population will help earth clean itself up. I say reduce the population to half of what it say's on the guidestones. The way we are consuming up resources we will pollute the whole planet and leave our childrens children with nothing but a lot of nothing left to live on. You are only ignorant if you do not go along with this plan. We will not have a home to go to if we continue on this path of destruction. A MASSIVE reduction in population is the answer. THE TIME IS NOW.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Well, if population reduction and reduced C02 tickle your fancy, I think the next quarter century is going to be right up your alley. I just hope you don't like food too much.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
reply to post by cloaked4u

Well, if population reduction and reduced C02 tickle your fancy, I think the next quarter century is going to be right up your alley. I just hope you don't like food too much.

I will not have to worry about that one.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Why is your house made of food

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

You know and i know that if a mini ice age hit and all crops fail and people ran out of food what do you really think the people will do to survive. Another reason for depopulation, thanks.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Why is your house made of food

All i have to say about that one is that some of us will not live that long to see the ice age/food shortages.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join