It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sources: Pentagon seeks $3B for Pakistan military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Sources: Pentagon seeks $3B for Pakistan military

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration plans to seek as much as $3 billion over the next five years to train and equip Pakistan's military, and is considering sending 10,000 more troops to battle the Taliban in Afghanistan, defense officials said Wednesday.
The money would include $500 million in an additional war budget request for the coming year that will go to Congress this month, The Associated Press has learned.
In outlining the spending program publicly for the first time, defense officials told the Senate Armed Services Committee it is critical to train and equip the Pakistanis so they have the skills and will to fight.
The $3 billion for Pakistan would complement a plan for $7.5 billion in civilian aid. That civilian request would come in legislation sponsored by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman, Democrat John Kerry of Massachusetts, and the committee's top Republican, Richard Lugar of Indiana.
With the administration's backing, their bill would provide $1.5 billion next year, linked to Pakistan's counterterrorism and democracy-building efforts, officials said.
Defense and other administration officials spoke about the spending plans on condition of anonymity because the specific budget requests have not been released.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
WTF? So we're going to pay the guys who helped bankroll 9/11? How on Earth could Obama's administration justify continuing to fund this failed state? They are currently supplying, training, and covering for Al-qaida and the Taliban, they have been for a very long time. The ISI is run by men who know that they can use the Taliban for their own protection. It's like having command over an army you don't have to take responsibility for. But the Taliban is starting to wake up to this, and the American and ISI help they had will lead to the collapse of Pakistan, and a take over of a nuclear armed state by Islamic Extremists.

And yet we keep bank rolling this. We will NEVER leave the middle east. The war in Afghanistan was never about Osama, and it was never about the Taliban, it is about Pakistan, who is truly our greatest enemy in that region...Only we're too stupid to realize it. We are being used to fund the Islamic extremist take over of Pakistan. And then they will definitively have nukes. And these people will use them.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
What no takers?

The implication of the US continuing to fund a state that fund our enemies, in my view, is worthy of some lively discussion I would assume.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think most would be speechless and rendered unable to type with the absolute waste of American tax payer money that this is.

America can hardly afford to look after it's own citizens, yet they are going to cart $5B to the citizens of Pakistan who a) DONT PAY TAXES TO AMERICA and b) WILL HAVE NO LOYALTY TO THE U.S either.

It seems you get more assistance when you are a U.S enemy than if you are hard working taxpaying citizen of the States.

I'm not American but my EMPATHY METER goes into overdrive on these kind of issues. I'm almost an honorary American.

Just to add, that I think it would be a good idea if all developed nations quit the foreign aid until things improve.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
CLASSIC. i love funding our enemies dont you?

stupidity knows no bounds.
that money is headed straight to the ISI to fund more terrorism.

top topics

join