It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Worse than the Taliban' - new law rolls back rights for Afghan women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk

The final document has not been published, but the law is believed to contain articles that rule women cannot leave the house without their husbands' permission, that they can only seek work, education or visit the doctor with their husbands' permission, and that they cannot refuse their husband sex.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
news.bbc.co.uk
www.independent.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Canadian Prime Minister says the war in Afghanistan is unwinnable.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So Karzai signs a law that in effect, legalizes rape within the Shia minority in Afghanistan.

I thought we were over there fighting to help free the women from the oppressiveness of the Taliban. At least that is what my country claimed. Now the Afghani's have a shiny new law, that the government won't release publicly yet, that basically puts women right back where they started, if not worse off. It "legalizes" rape within a marriage.

Some one remind me again why my friends and family are fighting?

Freedom?
Equal rights?
Democracy?

I think the only response to this can be withdrawal of our troops. No more dead Canadians for a country that will never, ever have freedom or Democracy or equal rights. It was a sham from the start and this should be the last straw.

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is what happens when any government has its basis in religion.....any religion.

Any war that is fought or won over there will not change the fact that Afghanistan is over 90% hardline Muslim who practice strict Islamic faith. The government and state religion are hand in hand and have been for centuries.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

www.guardian.co.uk

The final document has not been published, but the law is believed to contain articles that rule women cannot leave the house without their husbands' permission, that they can only seek work, education or visit the doctor with their husbands' permission, and that they cannot refuse their husband sex.

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
news.bbc.co.uk
www.independent.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Canadian Prime Minister says the war in Afghanistan is unwinnable.

HOLY #! Phew, good thing it only cost a couple million innocent lives in two countries, several thousand american soldiers, 3000 dead in the WTC, trillions in war spending...

For a minute, I was worried we may have made a big mistake.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Couldn't agree more skep.

That is why I have been an advocate for pulling our soldiers out of Afghanistan for a while. Nothing we do over there is going to make a lick of difference.

Well it will foster more hatred toward the West and puts my country at a greater risk of a terrorist attack.

It has cost us the lives of over a hundred Canadians.

It has cost billions of dollars to Canada.

It did improve the poppy crops by 100 or more percent.

It inflated an already blossoming Private Defence Industry.

It was the impetus to a bunch of new anti terror laws in our countries and others.

So I guess it did/does make a difference. Only in the wrong ways.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Afghanistan didn't use to be like that. Was more like Iran till the Taliban took over. Good reason to take the Taliban out.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I've never believed we where there to really help the afghan people. Now I'm pretty sure we where only there to relieve the American so they could go in Irak.

The British empire didn't conquer Afghanistan, the Soviet didn't do it, so why can we think NATO would do it?

Sadly, a few of my friend from the 22e regiment are going there soon. To help the opium trade .... ehhhh ... to help free the afghan people. And now that.

This is sad for all the 120? men that died there.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
very very sad

Remember before anyone condems
this is the will of an evil govt.
not the people!

Just as many middle eastern countries must understand
it's not americans invading or propping up puppet govts., it's the govt.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Afghanistan didn't use to be like that. Was more like Iran till the Taliban took over. Good reason to take the Taliban out.

Uhm, just so your clear on the article.. you realize that the taliban is gone and is no longer the ruling power, and yet the "new" .. "democratic" government, is the one thats legislating this new mandatory rape law right?

So, if the people are going to allow these laws no matter who is in power, and the people who get into power are going to push for these laws, what difference does it make whether the Taliban are in power or not?

This just proves that after murdering in cold blood, a couple million civilians, losing tens of thousands of servicemen (yes I include other stats such as unprecedented suicide levels), spending trillions, and giving up all your rights did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR HELPING THE PEOPLE OF AFGHANISTAN!

This site needs to seriously quit perpetuating lies that the government propagandizes. Remove terrorist, and terrorism from your vocab, as well as conspiracy. Those are all bad words that should never be spoken.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

would that be the same Taliban that destroyed the opium crops?

so when the Taliban was running the show, opium production was at it's lowest and now those nasty Taliban are on the run opium production is at it's highest it has ever been.

Good thing that the world is trying to fix the problems in Afghanistan otherwise their may be a drug problem in the west.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I had heard that the taliban had started gaining control again. Isn't it just a new name?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

IMHO, it was because most of the warlords that supported the US led invasion and removal of the Taliban where opium producers that where stopped by the Taliban. They where initially led by Cmdr. Massoud, for which I have a lot of respect. But he was killed by arab ''terrorist'' on September 9 2001 ... how convenient. He was against opium trade by the way.

For those of you that are interrested in the prelude of 9/11, I recommend you the documentary ''Massoud l'afgan''. I'm not sure it has been translated in english, I saw that in french at a Montreal Film Festival a few years ago, very interesting.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by grandnic]

new topics

top topics

join