It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever seen the movie "1408"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Freaked me right out, man. Got me rattled. And I'm very resistant to so-called "frightening" movies.

I would think it would appeal to some of the bent minds that frequent these boards... Man is trapped in a hotel room; room attempts to slowly drive him insane. (yeah, you read that right). Hilarity ensues. Subtle and psychologically terrifying enough to keep my interest.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thought it was a great film that was very well written.

The worst thing I can say about a horror film is that it was predictable. This is one movie that is anything but, in my opinion. Really enjoyed this one when I watched it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yes, I thought it was well done. Good and scary without the gore. Got me at the end too. I was, like, WTF!?!?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I did'nt rate it much.Thought it started off ok but was pretty unimpressed overall. Now the films that are really scary are the ones that don't use CGI effects and leave things to the imagination.One that REALLY scared me, although I saw it many years ago, was"The Haunting"--it was a b/w movie made in 1963 and the scene where Eleanor is in bed and holds out her hand believing Theo in the next bed was holding it was just uber spooky!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I really liked it. I'm not into the Saw movies or Friday the 13th or any of that stuff but show me a good scary movie and i'm all over it.
Another one I really liked was "The Others"

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Yeah I thought the twist at the end of "The others" was pretty cool.Good film.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I really liked 1408, Creepy, claustrophobic and pretty damn twisted.
It's been a really rare thing lately to find a really good Ghost story.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Holy Crab Apple Batman! That is the scene that scares me the most too!!!

I watched it as a child and I freaked out when that scene was over. I couldnt watch that movie until I was much older because of it.

Giving me chills man.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I thought it was clever and pretty well done.... but from what I'd read and heard about 1408... i was disappointed.
I was expecting more tension, and more nerve-wracking moments.

It was Ok.

And yeah.... the haunting was very creepy

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
It was good. Maybe too good.

I was ready to jump out the window for him, almost. Too close to reality, I was more depressed than "scared" from it. There is a limit afterall.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It was written by Stephen King wasn't it?

I love most of his book to movie adaptions.

Tommyknockers
It
Langoliers
Thinner

Watch them
How horror should be written.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I expected a lot more from that movie. I maybe jumped a little once and was pretty bored throughout. It has been awhile since i've seen a good scary movie...if anyone has any recommendations i'm pretty open to anything.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Darkmoor_resurrected]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I enjoyed it. I thought it was the best "Stephen King" movie since the Shining.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

agreed but the fact is I watched 1408 alone, really late one night and on the computer. I had the lights off and the headphones blaring.. so it did get to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I saw it and I loved it. I thought it was great to see a scary movie that doesnt rely soley on the shock factor I.E Saw and Hostel. I like Saw and Hostel but 1408 was great.

A great story and scary. Just great. If anyone hasnt seen it I suggest you go find it and watch it!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

I'm with you on this one. The previews made it look good, imo, but the actual movie fell short.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yes, 1408 was a good flick! Liked much better the the Saw series as those movies become really just nass killing and start to really become more of a bother for me to watch. I love Steven King and agree it was one of his best movies.

Now I am in to the good walking dead movies.....cannot get enough of them. Not the poor B ones but the well made Zombie movies. They are GREAT!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Freaked me right out, man. Got me rattled. And I'm very resistant to so-called "frightening" movies.

I would think it would appeal to some of the bent minds that frequent these boards... Man is trapped in a hotel room; room attempts to slowly drive him insane. (yeah, you read that right). Hilarity ensues. Subtle and psychologically terrifying enough to keep my interest.

Yes I have seen it and had happily forgotten it and its title. Why did you have to remind me? I like a good horror flick every now and then, its something different.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
For those who are interested, here's a link to the original Stephen King short story it was based on. The story is a lot different (its much shorter, for example) but it contains some real gems.

""A single plum sat on a tin plate in the middle of an old plank table. The light falling across the plum and the plate was a feverish yellow-orange.

Tango-light, he thought. The kind of light that makes the dead get up out of their graves and tango. The kind of light--

"I have to get out of here," he whispered, and blundered back into the sitting room"

Or

". He stepped in[to the bedroom], fascinated by the fuming desert of the [bed's] coverlet, by the tumorous bulges of the pillows beneath it. Sleep there? Not at all, sir! It would be like sleeping inside that goddam still life, sleeping in that horrible hot Paul Bowles room you couldn't quite see, a room for lunatic expatriate Englishmen who were blind from syphilis caught while f*cking their mothers, the film version starring either Laurence Harvey or Jeremy Irons, one of those actors you just naturally associated with unnatural acts..."

linky:
silveraspen.net...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yep it was a cool movie, adding too it he wrote the short story after staying at a haunted hotel. I believe his bags were moved and clothing put nicely in the drawers. Saw it on a episode of Ghost Hunters when they were investigating that same hotel. I bet his experience was not as terrifying as in the short story and movie, but it was the inspiration for them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join