It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Yoo Arrested ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
A number of websites are carrying a story claiming that John Yoo, former Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the United States, was arrested in Milan, Italy, and is being held “for possible extradition to Spain, where he and five other retired officials who served under former President George W. Bush are expected to be indicted by a Spanish court for violations of the Geneva Conventions, the Convention Against Torture, and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.”

It is said this news was covered by Reuters. A Google News search produces no matches on the text supposedly carried by the corporate media news service.

It appears the news story is a spoof, although as noted above a number of websites are passing it off as legitimate, including the World Prout Assembly.

Yoo is notorious for his pro-torture legal theories that were endorsed by Donald Rumsfeld and were communicated to Gen. Geoffrey Miller, the commander of both Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib at the time of the most severe detainee abuses.

On December 1, 2005 Yoo appeared in a debate in Chicago with Notre Dame. During the debate Yoo said the president has the authority to order interrogators to crush the testicles of children in order to get information from their parents.

“The fact that John Yoo is a Professor of Law at Berkeley and is treated as a respectable, serious expert by our media institutions, reflects the complete destruction over the last eight years of whatever moral authority the United States possessed,” Glenn Greenwald wrote for Salon on April 2, 2008. “Comporting with long-held stereotypes of two-bit tyrannies, we’re now a country that literally exempts our highest political officials from the rule of law, and have decided that there should be no consequences when they commit serious felonies.”

“A Spanish court has taken the first steps toward opening a criminal investigation into allegations that six former high-level Bush administration officials violated international law by providing the legal framework to justify the torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba,” International Herald Tribune reported on March 31, 2009.

“The complaint under review also names John C. Yoo, the former U.S. Justice Department lawyer who wrote secret legal opinions saying the president had the authority to circumvent the Geneva Conventions, and Douglas J. Feith, the former under secretary of defense for policy.”

here is the links
www.infowars.com...

www.worldproutassembly.org...

Maybe this is a start of things to come.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This would be great, if true! But, I think it's not.
Mr. Woo helped draft the patriot act.
Wiki

He contributed to the PATRIOT Act and wrote memos in which he advocated the possible legality of torture, warrantless domestic mass wiretapping, and that enemy combatants could be denied protection under the Geneva Conventions.[5] Yoo has also worked as a visiting scholar at the conservative think tank American Enterprise Institute since 2003.

Here's the audio from his speech at Notre Dame where he said it would be at the discretion of the President to crush testicles;

President Obama ought to look into these things!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sounds like an April Fool's joke to me.
There have been several bad ones going around regarding politics.
One that turned out to be real was a guy robbing a Burger King with an AK47 this afternoon near my job, we thought it was a prank.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
April Fools strikes again

Yoo Arrested In Italy: ABC News Reporter Falls For April Fools Prank
The latest victim of the inevitable collision between the instantaneous internet and the April Fool's joke is ABC's Jake Tapper.

John Yoo Arrested (Satire)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It does sound like an April Fools joke...

If it was not, what stance would Obama take? Send troops to Spain or let them execute him for war crimes?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Yeah, But wouldn't it be a start of something great???!!!
I mean, wishful thinking?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

yeah probably....when something sounds to good to be true .....heavy sigh

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hey! There is some good news about this whole (Joke).

LONDON — A Spanish court has taken the first steps toward opening a criminal investigation into allegations that six former high-level Bush administration officials violated international law by providing the legal framework to justify the torture of prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, an official close to the case said.

The case, against former Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and others, was sent to the prosecutor’s office for review by Baltasar Garzón, the crusading investigative judge who ordered the arrest of the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. The official said that it was “highly probable” that the case would go forward and that it could lead to arrest warrants.

NYTimes
www.newser.com...

The complaint under review also names John C. Yoo, the former Justice Department lawyer who wrote secret legal opinions saying the president had the authority to circumvent the Geneva Conventions, and Douglas J. Feith, the former under secretary of defense for policy.

Funny, how this joke distracts from the truth.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

it all most plays out as a phyops. first the post a bout Yoo, people realize it's an April fools joke. Now people hear about this and a lot will say naw that's nothing, probably another April fools joke and the story fades away to the back pages of the news papers (imho)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Yeah, I think that may be why it was put 'out there'.
To conflict the truth about the Spanish courts!
I hope they are arrested!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Funny, how this joke distracts from the truth.

Funny how the truth has no place in this thread.

[edit on 4/3/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Ummmmmm, did you see the New York Times link, where Spain is taking steps to open cases against our war criminals?
The fact that Yoo endorsed torture is true, also.

join