It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expert says key intelligence outpost Pine Gap may be spying target

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Expert says key intelligence outpost Pine Gap may be spying target

www.news.com.au

FEARS that Chinese spies could compromise the joint Australian-US intelligence operations at Pine Gap may have underpinned the Rudd Government's decision to reject OZ Minerals' (ozl.ASX:Quote,News) takeover by China Minmetals, according to the country's leading intelligence expert.

Des Ball, of the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, said China would have the potential to intercept key satellite transmissions into Pine Gap from OZ Minerals' mine sites near Woomera in South Australia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's interesting that this would come up with the recent thread about Rudd and his Chinese contacts - perhaps related?
Also haven't seen much about the Pipe Gap installation in the news before, probably not much of a surprise considering not even John Howard was allowed into the facility.

Some interesting lines about the facility from the article:
"The Pine Gap’s satellites transmit down to its ground station with ‘spot beams’ that can cover a radius of 800km, he said."

"There is nothing that important or that sensitive at Woomera any more."

Thoughts?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
WOW...these 'experts' actually get paid to think of these things and announce them to the press? ANYPLACE that is of a secure nature , or of importance to national security for ANY country is a possible target for espionage. I swear I took the wrong job. Not hating on you OP just the 'experts'.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well nevertheless, when taking into account Rudd's connections with the country it gets interesting.
See here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Ball described the operational area as containing three sections: Satellite Station Keeping Section, Signals Processing Station and the Signals Analysis Section, from which Australians were barred until 1980. Australians are now officially barred only from the National Cryptographic Room (similarly, Americans are barred from the Australian Cryptographic Room). Each morning the Joint Reconnaissance Schedule Committee meets to determine what the satellites will monitor over the next 24 hours.

With the closing of the Nurrungar base in 1999, an area in Pine Gap was set aside for the United States Air Force's control station for Defense Support Program satellites that monitor heat emissions from missiles, giving first warning of ballistic missile launches.

Not sure where I got the idea that Howard wasn't allowed into the base. I think it was somebody else and it must have been in the past not recently.

It's also part of ECHELON.

[edit on 1/4/09 by Nventual]

new topics

top topics

join