It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there still a cold war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
im in seventh grade and we gotta right a paper on wether we think there is still a cold war and give countries as examples. i think there is a minor form of one with some countries but not a cold war like i and most people call one. nuclear weapons arent used as weapons (exept maybe by the illuminati in the future)they are used to threaten other countries so isnt that aminor form of cold war. wat do yall think

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
in away there is still a cold war goin on, every country is full on prepared to launch missiles on another country. but it not as bad as it was back then 1 gun shot at any of the nations takin part could of set it off but now we lookin at a definate strike against a nation. but there has been a couple of close launches from either side after cold war ended so i would still say it a pretty hot subject

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
yes i definetley agree with u

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I was teaching American history, in college, when the Cold War ended. Among my students, there was a certain understandable euphoria that communism had fallen and the long, Cold War was over. It was if "we don't have to worry anymore..there won't be another war."
I was somewhat less optimistic. I think that time has proven me, at least partially, correct. It is true that we no longer have two huge nations, fully armed with nuclear weapons ready to target one another at any moment. That is a major change for the better.
What I feared then, and do fear now, is a more insiduous form of warfare...one without defined boundaries or nations. There's also the horrible possibility of rogue groups or of other terrorists gaining control over chemical, nuclear, biological weapons.
In some ways, it was easier during the Cold War. We could easily define our enemies and we had the hopes that reason would prevail and not exterminate mankind.
So, yes, the Cold War, as defined by post World War II history, is over. What we have, now, is another form of warfare that is potentially as dangerous and, in some ways, more difficult to fight.
During the Cold War we could unite against a common enemy. We knew who "they" were. Although we know some of our enemies now..they are not confined to one particular nation, but adherents of a philsophy that doesn't know political borders.
It's a toss-up, for me. I grew up with duck and cover drills and am spending my middle age in airports guarded by troops. Sometimes I don't know which was more unsettling.
joey

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
yea joey i agree with u alot and 2 days ago my social studies teacher was talkin about the duck and cover drills and how the civil defense administration built a bomb shelter under her school and they had supplies to live down their in case of an attack

new topics

top topics

join