It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging Out: An Analysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
PART 1
We talk a great deal about bugging out, and the more I've discovered on the topic, the more I've realized I've already been preparing for "bugging out". I just didn't associate the name with the task.

In any "bug out" scenario, there are several facets I've considered:
I. My current location.
II. The scenarios I can fathom.
III. Relative to point II, the locations and supplies needed to survive in said scenario.

My thought process on this particular topic tends to start with myself and work its way toward outward influences. That may seem "backward" in consideration of the fact that one needs to consider a scenario before being able to come up with a contingency plan, but I do some of my best thinking when I work backward. I find I catch and correct more errors that way.

Why it hasn't been "stickied", I don't know, but I find this thread to be helpful in keeping things succinct. If you're unfamiliar with a term, chances are it's found there.

EDC (Every Day Carry)
In a functioning society, we generally carry a selection of items that, in any given scenario, may be useful for survival. These can include (but are not limited to):
A cell phone. Provided that the network stays together, a cell phone can be a good tool to utilize in getting your loved ones together or contacting your trusted allies to begin bugging out.
A pocket knife. Really any sort of knife can serve myriad purposes in daily life, and much more so in survival situations. I find Swiss Army Knives to be exceptionally useful, but I also carry a Buck 119 in a sheath near or on my person.
Personal documents. Though some documents are better kept in a secured location apart from a person, there are those items (driver's license, membership cards, etc.) which can carry some clout with others in dealing with bugging out.

BOV (Bug Out Vest)
Here, I'd like to make an observation: what could be considered a "BOV" can also be augmented through the clothes you wear. For any given situation, a good survivalist knows that dressing in layers even on a daily basis will provide not only for personal comfort, but for tactical proficiency as well.

For the sake of simplicity, let it be said that the following weather conditions exist: Extremely Cold, Very Cold, Cold, Moderate, Hot, Very Hot, Extremely Hot. The absence or presence of other factors (i.e., rain, wind, and/or snow) is obviously relative to the environment and helps to influence it one way or another.

Now for some more technical observations:
The coldest temperature that can be reached is absolute zero, which is approximately −273.15 °C (−459.67 °F). However, by comparison, the coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was a heat wave at −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F). Still, I wouldn't break out the swim trunks and tan lotion just then.

Temperature has also shown that it can ascend or descend as rapidly as much as 27 °C (49 °F) in two minutes, or 26 °C (47 °F) in fifteen minutes (ascension and descension, respectively). That sort of shock on the body can be extremely traumatic if you're not prepared.

As for rain, wind, snow, and other factors, here are some technical observations:

In the Atacama Desert in Chile, there has never been any rain in recorded meteorological history. Ever. However, in Lloro, Colombia, they get an average of 43' 7 5/8" every year.

We all know rain can fall rapidly, too. The most to ever fall in one minute was 1.5" in Barst, Guadeloupe. In Holt, Missouri, they once received a foot of water in forty-two minutes.

As for wind, the highest ever recorded (albeit for 3 seconds) was somewhere between 281 - 321 miles per hour in a tornado near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The highest ever recorded with a more specific anemometer was at Mount Washington, New Hampshire (231 miles per hour at a sustained 1-minute average).

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Part 2
On a daily average, Port Martin, Antarctica once got winds of 108 miles per hour. Shows you how volatile the wind can be, regardless of where you are.

As for snow, the most received in a one-year period was 102' at Mount Rainier, Washington. The most received in a single season (from 01 July 1998 - 30 June 1999) was 95' at Mount Baker, Washington.

And, for your reading pleasure before I tie into what all of these records have to do with bugging out, some records on other more severe weather:

The warmest recorded temperature on Earth: 57.8 °C (136 °F) at Al 'Aziziyah, Libya.
Most tornadoes in a single outbreak: 148, from 3 April - 4 April 1974 in the United States.
Deadliest tornado on record: Daultipur and Salturia, Bangladesh - 26 April 1989. 1300 killed by a single tornado.
Largest hailstone ever measured: 7 inches in diameter, 18.75 inches in circumference in Aurora, Nebraska.
Heaviest hailstone ever weighed: 2.25 pounds, Gopalganj District, Bangladesh.
The hottest it can get (according to some scientists): Trust me. Don't worry about it; you wouldn't survive regardless of what you did.

So what in the name of all that is this and that does this information have to do with "bugging out"? Well, being prepared for not only the worst-case human-induced scenarios, but also every curveball that Mother Nature throws as well.

So, can sub-zero temperatures in the triple digits be survived? Of course. It costs a great deal of money, but having at least two sets of sub-zero bug out clothing in your vehicle or cache can help beat the odds. Of course, the smartest thing to do is to bunker down and wait it out, if indeed that's possible. Take a look at all the statistics I've given you, and do your best to build your clothing around it for situation X.

Now to tactical performance. If you're bundled up in sub-zero gear that makes an Eskimo jealous, it'll be a bit harder to conceal and easily access any gear you may need (including a weapon). However, there are vests that can be purchased with a velcro-front pocket to conceal whatever you may want (up to a handgun).

Warmer weather gets a bit easier, because it requires that you wear less. However, you want to stick with breathable materials so you don't sweat to death for the sake of carrying supplies.

In general, after you've considered warmth and/or cold, wet versus dry, and durability, consider storage space. Some clothing can be customized with extra pockets. Always keep your options open.

Bug Out Vehicle
After you've gotten dressed for bugging out to your location, you've got to consider how you're going to get there. Of course, that requires a place to bug out to, which depends on the scenario. We'll get to that.

Considerations for your vehicle include all the usual parameters, like cost, functionality, storage space, gas mileage, and safety. However, you also want to consider the color and style. Nothing says "shoot me" like a bright yellow convertible in the deserts of California, and nothing quite screams "death trap" like a Pinto in the Rocky Mountains. As a general rule, you want 4-wheel drive, you want something with off-road tires, and a general color scheme that can blend into your destined terrain.

You also may want to consider storage space that can be added to your vehicle. Compartments for whatever you desire can sometimes be added with some welding skills and whatnot.

Bug Out Destinations
Depending on the type of crisis, your destination may change. There are various types of scenarios. Some will call for a simple relocation to another city or town. Others will require that you get the you know what out of Dodge as quickly as possible, ne'er to return. Whatever the case, consider some of the following:

Will I be easily found?
Can I easily keep track of what's going on around me for a long way off?
Will this area keep me relatively comfortable and functional?

Just think.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
good start to a good thread keep putting your thoughts and plans down for us to chew on.

One small point, its generally accepted the absolute basics for EDC is
Knife
Multitool
Lighter
Watch ( analogue)
Compass
Cell phone
Flashlight
Piece of paracord
Wallet with cash and Credit card tool
Shades/ Glasses

Optional Extras depending on work and location

Bandana
Light sticks
Fire arm
Gloves
Hat
First Aid Kit
PDA / Blackburry thingy
Dust Mask
Small bottle of water
Walking shoes ( for ladies in bottom of purse)

respects NR

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I appreciate your positive comments and your constructive input. I've had limited time on a computer, and I don't feel that I convey my thoughts very well during a "time crunch", so I'm glad someone was able to get something out of it.

Some Considerations on Likely Scenarios
Instead of stocking up on your silver bullets, garlic, and wooden stakes, it might be more feasible to focus your efforts to more feasible scenarios. When was the last time that iron collar really came in handy? Your bedroom doesn't count.

According to EMDAT (The International Emergency Disasters Database), disasters can be broken down into categories. The criteria for events logged in their database are that the event must meet one of the following:

• Ten or more people killed.
  • One hundred or more people affected.
  • Call for international assistance.
  • A state emergency declared.

Within these criteria, there are various types of disasters, which are as follows (examples provided for each):

• Biological - Disease epidemics and insect infestations.
  • Climatological - Drought, extreme temperature, and wildfires.
  • Complex - Famine.
  • Geophysical - Earthquakes and volcanoes.
  • Hydrological - Floods.
  • Meteorological - Storms.
  • Technological - Industrial accidents, transportation accidents.

Of these, transportation accidents are most common. However, those would not necessarily cause the need to "bug out". According to EMDAT, the following disasters occur in the areas noted with them:

Avalanche and/or Landslide
Northern South America, Russia, western Europe, northern islands of Oceania, and southeastern Asia.

Drought and/or Famine
The United States, Mexico, Brazil, northern/eastern/southern Africa, southeastern Asia, and Oceania.

Earthquake
The United States, Mexico, northwestern South America, Russia, southern Europe, the Middle East, most of Asia, and the northern islands in Oceania.

Epidemic
Central South America, central Africa, Russia, eastern and southern Asia, and the northern islands of Oceania.

Flood
The Western Hemisphere, isolated parts of Africa and Europe, Russia, southern Asia, most of Oceania.

Volcano
The United States and Mexico, western South America, Greenland, Italy, isolated parts of Africa, Japan, northern and southern Oceania.

Windstorm
North America, southern South America, western Europe, southern Africa, Russia, eastern and southern Asia, and Australia.

More specific data may be found here.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Nice post, and not to be nit-picky, but the "V" in "BOV" typically refers to vehicle, not vest.

Interestingly, I happen to have a Bug Out Vest. It is a fishing vest, with a whole bunch of pockets, carabiners, etc.

It is green, and I look absolutely maaahvelous in it, if I do say so myself!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

I will correct myself before others do.

According to the post by Northern Raider that I agree, should be stickied, NR has both BOV's 1&2.

I stand corrected, but I really do like my vest!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Survivalist Acronyms
ABC = Atomic, Bacteriological, Chemical (USA)

BBBB Breathing, Bleeding, Breaks and Burns, order of diagnosis and treatment for casualties

BIVVY = Bivouac (type of shelter)

Bug Out = basically it means if you as a person or family have to flee your home, town or place of work because the place has become to dangerous to stay in.

BOB = Bug Out Bag. A Rucksack, travel bag or container containing survival tools, clothing, food and kit, should last 72 hours plus or even a few weeks if topped up from a cache.

BOR = Bug Out Route

BOV (1) = Bug Out Vest. A travel vest fitted out like a BOB

BOV (2) = Bug Out Vehicle. A vehicle modified to help you bug out and sustain you during your journey, In the US its often a 4x4 like a Jeep, and in Europe its often a camper van. BOVs really should be capable of being lived in for at least a week, so they should have sleeping space, cookers, water, toilet, storage etc. But in the US the trend is for big powerful go anywhere 4x4s. Single folks tend towards the 4x4s, family guys the campers. Some folks have B O Boats, other cycles, other horses and a few light aircraft / microlights.

Cache = A remotely located store of food, fuel, and extra kit for survivalists to draw on, usually sited somewhere along the chosen Bug Out Route

CASEVAC = Casualty Evacuation

EDC = Every Day Carry. Its a list of items that the seriously prepared will never venture out of the house without. Knife, Flashlight, Compass, Cell Phone, Wallet, Mulitool etc

FAK = First Aid Kit

FYI = For Your Information

GHB = Get Home Bag, same as BOB

GOOD = Get Out Of Dodge bag (another name for a BOB

INCH Bag = I’m Not Coming Home Bag (another name for a BOB but designed for very long term use)

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

KFS = Knife, Fork, Spoon

LED = Light Emitting Diode ( new type of flashlight / bulb system)

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat

NBC = Nuclear, Bacteriological & Chemical (UK)

NESW = Never Eat Shredded Wheat (method of remembering points of compass in clockwise motion)

No Duff = This is the real thing, not a practise

PMA = Positive Mental Attitude

PSK = Personal Survival Kit = normally a small tin or pouch containing a mini survival kit, popular with soldiers venture explorers etc

PSP = Personal Survival Plan

PAW = Post Apocalyptic World

PDW = Personal defence Weapon

PEK = Personal Escape Kit

PPPPPP = Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Poor Performance

PREP = Preparations

POCKSIE = Planning, ordering, controlling, supporting, informing, evaluating (stages in planning a bug out event)

RETREAT = Place of safety to live in during disaster, can be your home if modified or a camper van/ mobile home or purpose built facility.

RECCE = Reconnaissance

SAK = Swiss Army Knife

SERE = Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion

SITX = Situation X (Unknown future catastrophe)

SITREP = Situation Report (Feedback from someone involved in an event)

SSSSSS. Sound, Shape, Shine, Shadow, Smell, Silhouette,

The Considerations needed for tactical movement, IE Bugging out without being seen.

Dont make unnecessary SOUND or noise
Break up your SHAPE with camouflage
Dont let you kits SHINE in the sun
Stay in SHADOWS and try not to cast a SHADOW
Dont use perfumed soaps, or smelly camp fires because the SMELL will give you away
Stay off the hilltops and ridgelines so you dont stand out as a SILLOUTTE

TEOTWAWKI = Common acronym used by survivalists to describe a complete social collapse IE The End Of The World As WE Know It.

TV = Travel Vest (used as Bug out vest)

WTSHTF = When The # Hits The Fan

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
reply to post by Oaktree

I will correct myself before others do.

According to the post by Northern Raider that I agree, should be stickied, NR has both BOV's 1&2.

I stand corrected, but I really do like my vest!

I like my Regatta BO Vest as well but even that was a learning curve, my first effort went wrong because I bough a snug fitting one, which meant when I filled the pockets it became restrictive and uncomfortable. So I bought a larger one which even when fully loaded allows for air circulation and good arm movement. I did also end up reenforcing some pockets because some bit and bots haave sharp edges that can cut through a pocket in time. I also had to sew in a few more seems across the back of the vest and also between to top and bottom pockets on the front to stop the vest rucking or sloughing when fully loaded. Now i have a useful vest that I can wear under or over a top coat depemding on the situation.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Northern Raider]

new topics

top topics

join