It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Give Queen a IPOD

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It is not the person we submit to, but the institution, the history and the connection with our long and glorious past that she (or he) represents.

Exactly. It is an institution that dates back to the Saxon kings over 1500 years ago that forged the warring regions into one unified and administered state, and that is a heritage and a history I am proud to be a citizen of.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Even I, a Norwegian think Obama fudged up more then once when giving gifts.

I agree with some of the first posters here in regards to a nice signed photo of Obama in a nice frame would have been more acceptable. Especially since he's America's first black president.

And I think the die hard supporters of Obama need to quit making up excuses for him. He's given two stupid gifts so far, so fess up and admit he sucks at presents and hope he doesn't suck as a president in the long term!

Peace,
FK

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I agree with stumason, this isn’t that bad. The Queen is reportedly quite a tech savvy person and enjoys her gadgets.

On its own the iPod wouldn’t be much of a state gift but the content does show that level of thought that was missing with the DVDs.

As has been said though these gifts are important, they give an incite into how one nation views another. Removing the bust of Churchill and giving Brown DVDs gives a pretty bad impression of how Obama views the UK. Whether this impression is correct may be known when we see what he gives other dignitaries in the future; I’m very much looking forward to it.

Oh and + 1 to what Stumason and Smith said about the monarch.

Although I will say that I would personally bow down to Her Majesty for no other reason than the fact that she fought hard to serve her country in WW2 as mechanic when she could have live out the whole war in luxury in Canada. The same goes for Harry and Andrew too. God save the Queen and all that.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Mike_A]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

No offense intended Stumason. Please don't take me that way.

Its the idea of treating somebody as being superior to anyone else I find a problem with. I've never considered the UK to be anything but our staunchest Allies and Friends, so I don't want to come off wrong. Sorry for that. We are all equal.

I have so much trouble submitting to authority and the rituals that go with it, I had to start my own business to get around my aversion. Respect is to be earned and not expected or required is all I'm saying. I don't even reprimand my own employees and instead reward them for good work with extra money. I bow to no man and expect no man to bow to me. They never quit and I hope that is why. I won't even use titles which has got me into problems I admit.

Sorry again and I should think more before I post.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
pretty funny to watch republicans criticize obama over his gifts and then call HIM the elitist.

what ever happened to 'its the thought that counts' ?

How about you republicans let loose of your clingy desperate ways and get with the big picture?

He gave her an IPOD? OMG im sure she's going to loose sleep.

Get over yourselves.

As the first replier to this OP said, danged if he does, danged if he does not.

Conservative Republicans have become far too superficial and contradictory

it's superficial to claim a gift was not good enough
and it's contradictory to call the man who gave such a gift an "elitist"

so drop the superficial ways and become an American

oh wait...by conservative standards these days, you are required to be shallow and conformist to be an American..

so nevermind.....carry on.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Yep, and had Bush done something like this, you know he'd have been drawn and quartered here on ATS for being "stupid" and "retarded".

The iPod was stupid. The book of music was classy. Looks like Obamie got it half right this time; not like the DVD collection he gave Brown.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
At least he did not give her a box of toxic assets , lol

Now, he will save all that for us.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

Although I will say that I would personally bow down to Her Majesty for no other reason than the fact that she fought hard to serve her country in WW2 as mechanic when she could have live out the whole war in luxury in Canada. The same goes for Harry and Andrew too. God save the Queen and all that.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Mike_A]

Good point I had not considered. For that the respect is deserved and point made. I spoke to soon but still dislike the fact Royalty exists.

Its my nature. If Obama knocked on my door I'd probably call him Barry and hang garlic on the door. I've never cared which fork I use or whether my elbows are on the table either and caviar disgusts me. You know how crude us Yanks are

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

You criticize with such ease while exhibiting your own extreme arrogance and feeling of superiority in your own post.

Once again proof that both sides are the same.

All men are created equal is a fact. To bad we can't seem to treat each other as such. I'm guilty as well to my own shame.

The game plan is working. We are at each others throats just as the true enemy knew we would be. All hail Partisanship.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Did he really upload his speeches on it?

according to Drudge

Uploaded onto the iPod:

* Photos from President Obama's Inauguration
* Audio of then-state senator Obama's speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
* Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Oh, be quiet. You're just pissed that you can't tell a DVD from a DVD player. You just keep going on and on about --- nothing.

If you don't like Obama, and anything he stands for, say it again for the millionth time. Bashing is all you want to do anyway. So, Centurion, have it your way. Feed hamburger to your army on your shield.

Otherwise, as has been said, giving the Queen a gift of memories that she may have been fond of, was not a bad idea. If Obama had written her a letter, you would be criticizing the stationary, and the pen to used to write it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
She has an iPod already and apparently uses it regulary...

Exactly.

I bet some people are just wishing they got one themselves.

But I'll play along and feign righteous indignation.

*ahem*

The audacity!
Giving a Queen an iPod?
Outrageous!

He should have gave her the iPod Touch!!

She probably would have Knighted him for that.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

article - not from Drudge, BTW

Heh...yeah I know that Drudge didn't write the story.
Drudge Report doesn't usually write articles they host them.

Most are heavily slanted to the right, including clever headers Drudge creates to drive the point. The site is heavily trafficked, insanely really considering, and most conservatives take hold of the leads he pushes out for them to hammer certain issues home.

This was featured prominently on it's front page all day and I don't doubt that is where most people would have found it as opposed to searching the Telegraph.

By the numbers the odds are in Drudges favor considering it's popularity.

Even the Telegraph recognizes that.

FYI.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It is a pretty silly gift to give a Queen, but I do think this is the least of our worries.

I'd buy her a skateboard. That's American, and they are pricy in many other countries ...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
pretty funny to watch republicans criticize obama over his gifts and then call HIM the elitist.

what ever happened to 'its the thought that counts' ?

How about you republicans let loose of your clingy desperate ways and get with the big picture?

He gave her an IPOD? OMG im sure she's going to loose sleep.

Get over yourselves.

As the first replier to this OP said, danged if he does, danged if he does not.

Conservative Republicans have become far too superficial and contradictory

it's superficial to claim a gift was not good enough
and it's contradictory to call the man who gave such a gift an "elitist"

so drop the superficial ways and become an American

oh wait...by conservative standards these days, you are required to be shallow and conformist to be an American..

so nevermind.....carry on.

Avatar from last nights show???? + Awesome!!!!!!

that was funny - Colbert Boned PECK with that segment

Anyhow the turd toss is on -

I can't believe the energy we are spending on this trite. (me included)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

You mean this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28c0e01c925d.png[/atsimg]

right?

That's a sleek little piece of Machinery right there. Oh Wow 120 GB of Storage... Plus it's got video playback... None of which is Available in a 6Gb version...(plus the display has been upgraded for smoother video play in Newer Mp3 players)

Also loading it with Personal Photos and Videos should mean something as well.

So he personalized a Bada** portable data device (Hell I have a few, and my PC doesn't even have 120 GB (running Old-school here circa 2001...) so it's really NOT a bad gift.

The DVD's were a little stiff (though 25 x 5 =$125 so it was a HIGH END DVD box set... not some wal-mart $15 dvd set) but you live and learn.

Hell the Man also gave her a rare Autographed (By Richard Rodgers) Rodgers and Hammerstein play. That is a piece of America, right there... I guess that's why you all keep ignoring the mentions of it.

Anywho, You guys can spit on a 120gb video Ipod all you want... I'll take a free one anyday...

Off Topic for a second: Those that Hate the president this passionately will always respond with disgust no matter what the man does.

Here's my advice... We had to suffer through their crap for 8 years with Bush... Now our Guys in Charge, and they want us to still suffer their whining...

Why not just ignore all the whiny a**es and see exactly what our 'votes for change' turns out to be like in 4 years.

If their right so be it... Let them beat their drum. If not... So be it.

Don't gloat. just bask in the glow that in the end, you were right!

Coven

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I would love to be given an iPod.
The Queen gave the Obamas a signed picture of herself and her husband

Maybe they can sell it on eBay?

***I went to Buckingham and all I got was this crummy picture***

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think its brilliant!

How unconventional!.
I dunno, I sort of smiled and said good on him.
All these boring diplomatic gatherings

'' Well how now brown cow... ''

'' here's a framed portrait and a signed vasse, a gift from us ''

Hell with that

'' Yo maa', hope you enjoy the 21st century. I put some banging tune'z on this mini boom box for ye, when ya sitting back sipping tea' laughing at charles drop some noise in ya ears ''

good on him.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
somthing meaning full! I mean even a Signed photo of him in a nice frame would have been more classy then an IPod. An ipod is a gift you would give a high school or college student, maybe a good friend! Its not even about the price its the thought that he must have put in to it. I bet he thought he was slick thinking ah the queen wont have one of these!

Take it easy there....

He is just the President afterall, not The Queen ;-)

If the President start giving out signed-framed-photos.... well that'd be like throwing down the gauntlet.

She'd be forced to respond. His One-Upmanship would require it.

*I wonder what kind of gift JFK gave the Queen/King?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett

Barack Obama

blogs.telegraph.co.uk

Barack Obama met the Queen at Buckingham Palace today and gave her a gift of an iPod loaded with video footage and photographs of her 2007 United States visit to the Richmond, Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia. In return, the Queen gave the President a silver framed signed photograph of herself and the Duke of Edinburgh - apparently a standard present for visiting dignitaries.

The Queen already has an iPod, a 6GB silver Mini version she bought in 2005 at the suggestion of Prince Andrew.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Verd_Vhett]

iPods rule. They make the best gift. The President made an excellent choice. If you don't have an ipod your just losing out or really just left out behind in the cold. Follow the crowd.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join