It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jewish group blasts Obama reversal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Jewish group blasts Obama reversal

www.boston.com

The Obama team is getting vehement criticism from some quarters for its latest break from the Bush administration.

The State Department announced today that the United States will seek election to the UN Human Rights Council, which the Bush White House had visibly boycotted because of its criticism of Israel and its refusal to criticize Sudan and other countries.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and UN ambassador Susan Rice said in a statement that the administration will join the council to help make it more effective as part of Obama's desire to create a "new era of engagement" with the international community, the Associated Press reported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is another signal that the United States under the current administration is getting ready to abandon Israel, and it's people to the wolves.

The Human Rights Council likes to ignore issues such as what has been happening in Sudan, and yet it is always critical of Israel, condoning the Palestinian authorities and the Palestinian terrorists who are also part of the conflict in which Israel is daily engaged in.

With this move the United States is giving it's sovereignty to an international council, instead of having our own opinion.

With the United States joining this council which likes to ignore other real Human Rights issues around the world, Israel will be alone, and now the entire world will be biased against Israel without balancing the blame with the Palestinian authorities, and the Palestinian terrorists.

Is this what Human Rights is? to side with one people, demonizing them, meanwhile completely ignoring the other people who are as guilty?....

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Does anyone reading this site actually the think the U.N. is good and just and something we should be a part of? For God's sake I hope not.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Is this what Human Rights is? to side with one people, while completely ignoring and demonizing other people?....

Well, I said this in a few other threads, and I'm not going to get into it again, but Israel are NOT a people. Israel is a nation. And the fact is, it's a nation that regularly commits human rights atrocities.

I'm not defending the actions of Sudan by any means, nor am I defending Hezbollah. All I'm saying is, criticism of Israel is far from unfounded.

If you equate the state of Israel with the Jewish people, then you are insulting Jews everywhere who don't agree with or condone Israel's actions.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Well, I said this in a few other threads, and I'm not going to get into it again, but Israel are NOT a people. Israel is a nation. And the fact is, it's a nation that regularly commits human rights atrocities.

I'm not defending the actions of Sudan by any means, nor am I defending Hezbollah. All I'm saying is, criticism of Israel is far from unfounded.

If you equate the state of Israel with the Jewish people, then you are insulting Jews everywhere who don't agree with or condone Israel's actions.

And there are Palestinians who disagree with the Palestinian authorities and would love to be able to live in peace with the state of Israel and it's people.

BTW, if we follow your train of thought, then the Palestinians could very well live without a Palestinian State, since there are Palestinians all over the world too, so why don't they move then?

The Israelis living in, well Israel have as much right to live in their land as Palestinians have to live in theirs.

I wonder how you would react if a neighbor of yours keep throwing rocks, and molotov cocktails into your house, at times injuring members of your family, and when you call the police, they tell you to turn the other cheek and take it, that you have no right to respond to the violence of your neighbor, and the police will do nothing about it...

Would you turn the other cheek, and shut up like the Human Rights Council, and the UN in general have tried to tell Israel? or would you fight back by any way necessary?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

BTW, I did not equate Israel with all the Jewish people...but Israel is a country, and it does have people, which happen to be Israeli in mayority..

I wrote Israel AND it's people....

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I wish this did mark a general change in policy towards Israel, but I don't expect it will.

Israel is not the United States.

US policy should be dictated by the needs of the United States, not Israel.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

BTW, I did not equate Israel with all the Jewish people...but Israel is a country, and it does have people, which happen to be Israeli in mayority..

I wrote Israel AND it's people....

Fair enough, I read 'side with one people', 'ignoring the other people' and got off on a bit of a tangent. Your post was not nearly as vaguely ignorant as most of the pro-Israel stuff I see here, so I'm sorry if I misunderstood your wording.

Honestly, I think I'm just becoming a little sour on the subject.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Our forefathers here in the United States did not envision nor want for us to take on the costly and counterproductive role of policing nations, protecting nations or taking sides in disputes between one nation and another.

It is the surest and quickest route to that bankrupting road of empire. Politics make for strange bedfellows and as such it’s important to note that it leads to not just economic bankruptcy but moral bankruptcy.

There are no advantages to taking on the burdens of other nations, or fighting their wars for them. All that does come of it is burdens, and one of those is the neglect of situations within our own nation that could stand to be improved with the same amount of thought, effort, focus, and money that goes into playing the world’s policeman. Meanwhile as a nation not only do we not have the monetary capital we do not even have the moral capital to play that role.

Any person on earth is technically free to immigrate to the United States of America. That’s as fair as fair can be. Those people, who do not wish to immigrate to the United States of America, certainly should be entitled to the expectation to be free of the United States of America’s rules and rule.

It’s wrong for us to play international policeman, it’s wrong of us to take sides based on politics, economics, religion, or race.

Israel has had the luxury of not having to make peace because of a disproportionate consideration the United States of America has chosen to award it.

When someone who imagines themselves a citizen of the United States, who imagines our greatest value is what we do or don’t do for other nations, certainly must not even understand or recognize the concept of nation.

The best leaders lead by example, not by force of arms, or acts of committees.

I find it rather bizarre this wish to be arbiter of other nation’s propriety when we are plagued internally ourselves of the same types of infractions we seem to not be able to tolerate in others.

It might lead a person to wonder, are we really that concerned that others are doing these things, or just more concerned with a way to pretend we ourselves aren’t?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's time Americans see that the ONLY thing we get in return for billions and billions of OUR tax dollars is ever growing red targets on our backs!!!!

While here in America we know our government puts israels intrests first, in the middle east they see israel as a second America.

I fully believe that if we stop backing a group of people who had not lived there for a millenia, and Obama appologized for our forefathers returning a people who were UTTERLY DEFEATED to a land that was no longer theirs, we have a much better shot of having peace in the middle east.

As most people on this earth are not Christian or Jewish, why do people who don't follow that religion have to move out of their homes because the Jewish god gave that land to Jews?

If Hindus found a book, older than the bible, saying that Shiva gave France to Hindus, will the French be rounded up, put into French only camps and let Hindus move into their homes?

Please answer at least the last question, as each time I've asked it, no one will touch it with a 50ft pole.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I wouldn't be surprised if Israel is sacrificed in the name of global interests.

Israel was our strongest ally in the Middle East helping extend the sphere of American influence.

Apparently American interests no longer matter. All that matters now is how fast the beareaucratic collectivists can weaken America, create a global monetary union, and promote the interests of the world above all else.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

I wouldn't be surprised if Israel is sacrificed in the name of global interests.

Israel was our strongest ally in the Middle East helping extend the sphere of American influence.

Apparently American interests no longer matter. All that matters now is how fast the beareaucratic collectivists can weaken America, create a global monetary union, and promote the interests of the world above all else.

The only interest America has in the Middle East is destabilization. Your post has to be some sort of tongue-in-cheek joke.

Why should our interests matter, when the cost in human life is so high? What ounce of good has Israel done for the rest of the Middle East? Seriously?

And while I'm certainly not strictly isolationist, I recognize a mistake when I see one. Pretty much all of our involvement over there was a mistake.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We can't keep supporting terrorist countries the way we have been doing
in the past. And by all possible standards, Israel is a terrorist nation, they
have committed every imaginable international crime. They are the cause
of endless vileness and evil.

Maybe it is no coincidence, that Israel carries on their flag, the symbol
of the devil himself. They are certainly living up to such a diabolical sign.

[edit on (1/4/09) by Wehali]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't know why the United States seeking election to the UN Human Rights Council is equated with abandoning Israel. Regardless of what goes on there by some member bozo nations, the US should be represented there representing its interests, and the interests of its allies; that would be, the universal human rights that should be accorded to all humans, regardless of national, racial, ethnic, or religious identity.

Sitting on the sidelines barking rhetoric has clearly been proven a failure.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

You have to look at it from an American realpolitik point of view.

There was a much bigger picture involving American interests in the long run.

That picture has now shifted to global interests and Israel is no longer useful except as a scapegoat. The hatred of Israel is one of the few things the vast majority of the world unites behind and that will likely be used in promotion of global union.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
OMG - are we gonna criticize Israel.??? Is that legal? Aren't they god's chosen people and thus the master race.??

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This is another signal that the United States under the current administration is getting ready to abandon Israel, and it's people to the wolves.

If Israel can do nothing but bully its neighbors, why should we support them?

Cutting off aid, and hopefully ratcheting down the violence on Israels part, will be helpful to everybody in the region -- Israel included.

Btw, if you really believe the US is going to just "abandon" Israel, you're nuts. This old tactic of asserting the opposite really does a good job of brainwashing the masses -- just like how Fox News is fair and balanced, right?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Oops, I posted this reply in the wrong thread

So sorry. Feel free to remove this post if you can!

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Kaytagg]

join