It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Americans believe world leaders respect Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As Barack Obama takes off for his first overseas trip as president, a new national poll indicates that more than eight in 10 Americans think he will do a good job representing the United States to the world.

And seven in 10 people questioned in the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, released Tuesday, believe that leaders of other countries respect Obama.

That last figure is in sharp contrast with George W. Bush.

At the start of his presidency in 2001, only 49 percent believed that foreign leaders respected Bush.

"Except for the period following the 9/11 attacks, that number never got any better for Bush," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Obama is scheduled to travel to Britain on Tuesday, where he will participate with other leaders in the G-20 summit.

"Even among Republicans, a majority believes that other world leaders respect Obama."

Obama is scheduled to travel to Britain on Tuesday, where he will participate with other leaders in the G-20 summit.
advertisement

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted March 12-15, with 1,019 adult Americans questioned by telephone.

The survey's sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Another attempt to sell Obama by CNN. This is a ridiculous attempt to salvage Obama's rep and to sway public opinion of him. 1,019 people surveyed? That's 0.000003397 of the population! Hahahaaaa... What a joke... I guess they took the names right off of Obama's email contacts or better yet, they probably just surveyed other CNN employees in the building. What's disturbing is that most people will just look at the headline and assume that they really did do a survey.

www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I do sincerely hope this is not representative of our entire country. I'm thinking all those that were polled live in San Fran.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As Barack Obama takes off for his first overseas trip as president, a new national poll indicates that more than eight in 10 Americans think he will do a good job representing the United States to the world.

And seven in 10 people questioned in the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, released Tuesday, believe that leaders of other countries respect Obama.

That last figure is in sharp contrast with George W. Bush.

At the start of his presidency in 2001, only 49 percent believed that foreign leaders respected Bush.

"Except for the period following the 9/11 attacks, that number never got any better for Bush," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

"Even among Republicans, a majority believes that other world leaders respect Obama."

advertisement

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted March 12-15, with 1,019 adult Americans questioned by telephone.

The survey's sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Not much one can do but watch this train wreck.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I personally don't see it as respect. Respect has to be earned and Obama hasn't done much to earn that respect. I believe world leaders are optimistic about Obama and his policies. In a way, I feel that the world leaders are hoping that Obama will be more willing to cooperate, rather than dictate, over world issues.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I kind of agree with you.

He hasn't done anything to earn their respect. In fact, it seems like a lot at the G20 disagree with what he is doing and going behind his back to create side deals.

They may be cautiously optimistic, but definitely not respectful.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
By the time he's finished he'll be every bit as unpopular as Bush is.

Just give it a few years, he has a lot of screw-ups ahead of him, appointing Geithner and Holder was just a taste of gaffes yet to come.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by jam321

I kind of agree with you.

He hasn't done anything to earn their respect. In fact, it seems like a lot at the G20 disagree with what he is doing and going behind his back to create side deals.

They may be cautiously optimistic, but definitely not respectful.

Maybe they think he is easy prey,

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

He hasn't done anything to disabuse them of that notion.

I am sure that the "begging" editorial of last week to the G20 leaders didn't make him appear all that strong. :shk:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by Stormdancer777

He hasn't done anything to disabuse them of that notion.

I am sure that the "begging" editorial of last week to the G20 leaders didn't make him appear all that strong. :shk:

Exactly, wow,

I'm thinking, this was all part of the plan, get a weak, inexperienced, idealistic, egomaniac in office.

[edit on 113030p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Another attempt to sell Obama by CNN. This is a ridiculous attempt to salvage Obama's rep and to sway public opinion of him. 1,019 people surveyed? That's 0.000003397 of the population! Hahahaaaa... What a joke... I guess they took the names right off of Obama's email contacts or better yet, they probably just surveyed other CNN employees in the building. What's disturbing is that most people will just look at the headline and assume that they really did do a survey.

www.cnn.com

Didn't you guys notice this? This article is just CNN making this up. A poll of 1,019 people or 0.000003397 of the American public does not make for a real poll... just a made up one.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

That's most polls these days, though.

Random sampling....
Small group of people.....
Easier to manipulate data.....
Not so many numbers to juggle....
Able to make it say whatever they want to say....

:shk:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
And this partial transcript from the March 31 edition of "Hardball":Chris Matthews. Makes you want to puke!

MATTHEWS: I love that scene! Anyway let's go to Chuck Todd. I hope we don't see that scene again, I think we've seen the last as Billy Bob Thornton as our president. Anyway we've got Barack Obama as our president and Michelle Obama as our First Lady. We're all immensely proud. I'm looking at a new poll from CNN tonight, Chuck Todd. It's got the wind at our back as a country actually. 86 percent of the American people love the fact that these two people are representing our country on the world stage today. What's it feel like over there in London?

MATTHEWS: What do you think, what do you think our guy is gonna show? What rabbit is he gonna pull out of his pocket?

EUGENE ROBINSON, WASHINGTON POST: Well he, he's gonna go and be Barack Obama. He will be, he will be charming. He will be intelligent. He will be someone the Europeans can talk to on, on, on the plane that they, that they believe they inhabit.

MATTHEWS: Right.

ROBINSON: So, you know, in that sense I think there will be real communication there. I'm just not sure-

MATTHEWS OVER VIDEO OF OBAMAS EMERGING FROM AIR FORCE ONE: There they are, there they are arriving, by the way. That's a great scene.

ROBINSON: Yeah it is.

MATTHEWS: I thought about that scene for months, the first time they get to come as our American couple. To represent us, really in a new way. A kind of a sophisticated new leadership.

ROBINSON: There will also be this atmosphere around the meeting of, of excitement-

MATTHEWS: Yeah!

ROBINSON: -that, that the Obamas come, that this is something really new. And, and, and the opportunity is for him to capitalize on that as much possible.

MATTHEWS: He must know, he must know that every word he speaks – you know talk about being hounded by Youtube – every word this guy speaks gets picked up on. He's got to be brilliant all the time.

new topics

top topics

join