It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers feeling abused as federal tax hike hits

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

I do smoke my Du Maurier

I buy a pack ever month or so

I sometimes need a cigaretter after a large meal or with beer or my whiskey!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Griff
Look it up, cosmetics have more carcinogens than cigs.

but they don't touch your lungs bro
they aren't smoked

Smelling someone means that those vapors are hitting your lungs. Try again bro.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It was around 8.00$ for a 6 oz bag of gambler tobacco yesterday.
It is around $26.00 for that same bag of tobacco today!

I now officially HATE what my country has become.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
To smoke...yes, it is an individual choice.....
I smoke......not chimney style, yet, I partake of the 20 count from time to time...
and have always said that "Smokers have rights, too and I plan on abusing mine"

Actually.....I think the incredible hikes lately are to deter any more from beginning to
smoke....
Remember.......healthy, non-polluted youth do indeed make for a more hardworking, controllable populace.......HR1388............

Yeah..it's all connected.....

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am in Georgia, and they are cheaper here than most places in the country. Last week, I could get a carton for $25-$28 for Marlboros. No longer.....

I am in FL and they have always seemed more expensive here. The week before I bought the almost 7 dollar back they were only about 5.50. I smoke marlboro lights. I will not be smoking anymore that's for sure! I only started about a year ago and I dont smoke that often, usually when I am at work is when I smoke.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

you don't HAVE to smoke

You've obviously never experienced what 'addiction' is like. Some people, like myself, have what is called an 'addictive personality' which is actually recognised as a disease.

Now yes, it may be my fault that I smoked that first cigarette but at the time I did not know what I was in for when I tried to quit several years later. The reaction my body had was overwhelming to say the least.

Now I know what will be said next - "You shouldn't have started smoking it's all your own fault blah blah yada blah". You know what? I don't care.

How about we care about their health more than their addictions?

How about bugger off and leave us smokers alone? I don't WANT you to care about my health, that's just a BS excuse to justify a tax hike.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is going to make me cut down a lot. Maybe cut the number in half on a weekly basis.

Anything else, would drive me bat
insane and cost me way too much money.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You think wrong!

PLEASE give me an electric car!

I would LOVE to take a "greener" approach to driving

Plus that's such a horrible analogy
I drive to work because I have to
you don't HAVE to smoke

horrible analogy

I don't have to drive to work as I don't own a vehicle. So, you with your vehicle pollutes the air 1,000 times more in one second than I do smoking a whole cig.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I may be a smoker but at least I don't drink kool aid

Speaking of Kool aid. Do you know how bad that stuff is for you and your kids? Let's tax that.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

You're lucky that you live someplace where you only have to pay $40. a carton after that damn tax hike.

That tax hike went into effect for us a month ago already. Cigarettes in Chicago (in Cook county) are $80. a carton now, i have to drive out to another county to get them for $48. a carton. And now our new governor is planning on raising them yet again (i believe another dollar) over the next two years to help balance the budget.

I'm sure that i should stop anyway, but i don't like the fact that i am being forced to quit by the government by them increasing all these damn taxes. It'd serve em right if we all quit and then they wouldn't be able to target us & make us pay for everything all the time.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Giving too many rights to smokers is like bailouts
It's giving propz to bad decisions.

Smokers aren't the brightest imo

They fight for smoking rights but they only fight laws and not the tobacco industry

The tobacco industry is the biggest oppressor to smokers

Smoking is not like alcohol, not at all
You can buy a bottle of alcohol and enjoy it and make it last as long as you wish
a month, a year, a decade. You don't have to become an alcoholic.

But with cigarettes, they sell you a pack of 20 or 25 and it's like beat the clock
smoke all 20-25 cancer sticks before they go stale which is perhaps a week or less.
That's lunacy!

But no lets' fight taxes and legislation regarding it, because we want it as such!

Nobody fights for being able to buy a pack of 5 or 6
nobody fights for having no poison in cigarettes
or even fighting for let's say 100 different poisons instead of over 300

Sorry man, makes no sense!
It's like bailing out bad decisions
Smokers don't care about others, they don't care about themselves
they only care about smoking which in turn means caring for their oppressing giants the tobaccco firms.

Good Luck!

BUNK !! ........................................
What do you mean . . "It's like bailing out bad decisions" ?
No one's asking for a bail-out. Originally, they said the extra taxes would
go towards cessation programs. They lied ! They invent some gum and
patches to help a smoker quit . . .but charge ten (10) times what a pack of
cigarettes would cost. So, if you're a smoker and you feel it might be a
good idea if you quit, you go down to the nearest store and do some
comparative shopping. (Gee, right now I can't really afford to quit, so . .
just give me another pack of cigs please. Screw it !)
And the big companies and pharmacies win again.
And of course government sees a way to screw us too, . .with taxes.

I had my first cigarette when I was in the service. They used to come in
our food rations. In the beginning I gave all of mine away. After my first
brush with death, I kept them. We figured . .what the hell . .we're not
going to live long enough to die from smoking anyway.

One of the best cigarettes I ever had was with a lover after sex. Now that
was enjoyable !

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So why on earth would you want to support such excessive taxation? Is it because you can afford to smoke high class cigarettes and therefore don't care if you have to pay extra? Or is it that you happen to not live in the US as du Maurier are produced by Imperial Tobacco CANADA?

I find it hard to believe that any whiskey drinking American would smoke something called du Maurier.

You do know that beer and whiskey are as addictive and dangerous as tobacco if not more so? I don't smoke one too many cigarettes and slam my car into a mini van full of kids.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Hell, I'm all for it, just thinking about all the chemicals we pump our kids full of makes me sick.

While everyone was switching over to aspartame to lose weight I stuck with sugar. It may make me fat but at least I'm not sweetening my coffee with anti-freeze

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Like the user DeltaAlphaNovember, I too now "vape" rather than smoke.

Electronic cigarettes vaporize a mixture of propylene-glycol (also in fog machines to make it look like smoke, and also in many pharmaceuticals as a filler medium) and nicotine.

(No, before the half-wits begin talking, its not ethylene-glycol)

Anyone who knows a lick about science knows this is far healthier than sucking down the tar, arsenic, cyanide, and any of the other 40,000 chemicals found in cigarettes.

... however, we have a problem.

People have been trained to HATE smokers and anything resembling smoking so much, that there are people who actually want to ban the solution.

The solution being e-cigs, no cancer, no second hand smoke, none of the problems of cigarettes... and people are blindly wanting it banned without reading about what it is, simply because smokers use it.

There is certainly allot of blind hatred for smokers... even those who are trying to get away from smoking through such things as e-cigs like myself.

Ironically enough, maybe all these haters need is a puff to calm them down.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
here in nova scotia canada we have had very high taxes on cigarettes for a very long time.... try 12$ for a pack of 25..... ive never bought a carton here but based on the price of a single pack its high... i believe i heard somewhere that like 2/3 of the price of smokes here goes to the government for taxes.... BOOOOOO!!!!!! lol

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I heard about the e-cigs a while ago as a Japanese trend product, I thought they were neat but my brother raised a good point about them the other day. He said that the dose of nicotine is higher per e-cig than it is per normal cig which would in effect hinder any attempts at quitting smoking. I just hope we don't end up with nicotine junkies.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I quit two weeks ago the government aint getting no more money from me.

I think they should go after fat people next. Have you seen the size of people recently. I went to a buffet yesterday and it looked like a bunch of cattle waiting in line. Some of these people could barely walk. I say tax them make them come in once a week to get weighed and charge them $0.50 for every lb there over wieght. Whats fair is fair.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I know I felt abused yesterday afternoon when I went to buy cigarettes before the tax hike hit today and had to go to 4 different places before I found somewhere that hadn't applied the tax yet.

$40.00 for a carton. :shk:

Makes a person really, really consider quitting just to stick it to someone.

What you should consider is that you have to stop putting the same people in office. Everyone who smokes should be offended. I don't smoke but by gosh if anyone wants to go off them self by smoking on a cigar and is considerat of others while they do then more power to them...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Sounds like quitting smoking hasn't made you any more relaxed or rational

Line number 2

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Its $70 here in Canada and that's for the Generics........

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join