It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April 1st virus activated...fails?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think they picked April Fools as a test date, thinking nobody would pay attention. As far as the virus being real I think it is, the media wouldn't play a prank like that... would they?!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
it's all a big conspiracy by the media and antivirus corporations to get us to buy their software, the media outlets are getting kickbacks from them...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by k4rma

LOL is that parity or parody?

The day ain't over folks. As per others............we'll see.

Regards....KK

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
IF this infects the internet, they may have to shut it down and bring in a new one, a more secure one, a more controllable one. The minute I heard of this I thought it would be the 'opportune' moment to replace our current model with a new model.

Afterall, it does need to be treated with like an enemy weapons system, what would you do to an enemy weapons system that is designed like the internet? You couldnt destroy it, it's housed over millions of computers and servers!

Neutralize it, IMO. eLet's see where this goes.

EMM

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
yeah, al gore's version of the internet is infected so we need to bring in the rockefeller version...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
would this have anything to do with the IPv6 protocol maybe? I doubt they are trying to replace the internet, so many people would be pissed...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Conficker.C worm tries to locate the zombie bots after 24 hours if it fails the first time ( april 1) then it will remain dormant for 4 days and try again until it succeeds or is killed.

So it's not over yet. Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
MY COMPUTER is acting like it's in mud today. It was fine yesterday.
Now today ... poof. I'm wondering if it's just my computer or if somehow
that virus thing is slowing down the entire system.

I'm going to go run the malware that 12m8keall2c previously directed me to.

ugh!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Any source for that? I dont seem to have the virus but I am trying to stay up to date on how it works, thanks.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
conficker FAQ - www.f-secure.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
if they know so many details about this virus

why is it they don't know anything at all?

They know it scanned 50,000 computers
they know it's looking for details

but

they don't know how to remove it from a machine
and they don't know what it's capable of?

It's an april fools scam.

Seems to be working...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Next_Heap_With

You're right, I have been had sorry folks

how about this one from PC mag..

'Conficker' Worm Wakes Up, But It's Quiet

The "Conficker" worm is live within Australia and elsewhere in the world, security vendors have confirmed, where it is April 1. At this point, however, it remains quiescent.

Security company Trend Micro has seen the Conficker or Downadup worm increase the number of DNS resolutions, as expected, said Paul Ferguson, the lead researcher for security intelligence, advanced threats research. At this point, however, the worm has taken no other action.

Conficker is expected to hit the United States on Wednesday, April 1. But it is already a day ahead across the international date line, where Conficker is waking up, and making its way westward through Asia and Europe.

If that one is a April fools piece I couldn't catch it, not that, that means much for me today

[edit on 4/1/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
-----from tuneshrinker.com------

Virus Alert

* “Conficker.C” Set to execute 1 Apr 09 at 00:00 hrs
* Is a Worm introduced via Internet, e-mail, file shares and USB Media – covers its tracks by plugging the hole that it used to get in, then writes itself into the Windows service directory to be re-started as the PC is re-started
* Once installed it attempts to download additional Malware from over 50,000 possible domains (Web sites)
* US Computer Emergency Response Team verified these exploit sites are becoming active and responding
* Many possible exploits can be downloaded; Conficker is the transport device that opens the door to other Malware
* Multiple exploits have been observed; Trojans that steal financial transaction data as well as code that responds to remote commands, creating a “Zombied” or botnet PC
---------------------
i'm calling shenanigans on this:
1. "plugs the hole it used to get in" - WTF?!?! NO.
2. "additional malware" - it won't do anything until it is told to, not when it's immediately installed.
3. "exploit sites becoming active" - SHUT THEM DOWN!!!! better yet give me a list of sites and i will return the virus to sender and melt his effin hard drive, the info has to be going somewhere.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Given the complexity of the worm I suspect its not just some simple hoax, the authors have shown they pay close attention to the cryptographic world by implementing the MD6 hash algorithm mere weeks after its public release as well as patching said algorithm against a possible buffer overflow. Normally such software is fire and forget or forked ad nauseam by other virus writers, this one is quite literally being developed and maintained by a very skilled set of people.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
-------fawx newz-----

"But the virus doesn't appear to be working as its designers intended. F-Secure's chief security adviser, Patrik Runald, said the virus's coding suggests a type of bug that alerts computer users to bogus infections on their machines and offers to help by selling them antivirus software."

"While the origin of the virus is a mystery, F-Secure's best guess is it came from Ukraine. Hypponen said it is coded to avoid computers there, which may indicate whoever wrote the virus was trying to avoid drawing attention from local authorities."
------------------------------
if they know that much, how come they haven't found the email where the info will be sent? shenanigans i tellz ya...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by k4rma

Given the level of sophistication I doubt they would simply have this thing email home anything it steals. I suspect a handler would push out an update with the P2P portion that would make systems answer to a controlling machine then do distributed downloads of any stolen data. After reading the analysis of Conficker C I can't simply write this off as some hoax or simpleton's work but rather the efforts of a sophisticated group of programmers, the real question is what payloads will be pushed out to the infected machines.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
wait wait wait....conficker supposedly "creates domains and downloads updates from them" - BULLSHIAT!!!! just because u create a domain doesn't mean there will automatically be content on that domain....i'm reading the analysis now - the info they jack has to go somewhere and that should be in the coding - i wanna download conficker and pick it apart, either this is a hoax or these people don't know wut they're doing....

[edit on 1-4-2009 by k4rma]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
well if its over and april 1st is over there gone say it was a viral / commercial for the upcoming new terminator movie.
Skynet anyone infection of pc by a virus which will lead that the internet becomes self aware? haha

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Basically, no one's sure of when it will actually attack. The way the virus used to function is that it would generate 500 domain names every so often, and it would attempt to connect to the 500 that it generated based on some algorithm, and download an update. April 1 triggers the upgrading from 500 "pings" to 25,000. The way I understand it is that the sites are generated somewhat randomly, with a predefined algorithm, this way, the security companies don't have a list of sites to just take down, they have to figure out the algorithm used to make the random sites, generate 25,000 of them, and then go through them all to see which ones are "active" and which aren't (btw, it's not actually CREATING the domain names as someone suggested earlier, it's simply creating a list, more or less, of domains to scan for an update).

What this means: The update may not come today. I think it's stupid that there was such a big fuss made about this, because now the general public is gonna respond with, "Well, damn. Guess it was a hoax. Back to my old unsafe computing!" and probably get their computer infected. However, when the update is released, it should be PRETTY interesting what happens. I don't think this is your average botnet. Too much effort was put into this one.

Perhaps it's just a hoax by a coalition of AV companies to get more subscribers?

<< 1    3 >>

join