It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April 1st virus activated...fails?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

April 1st virus activated...fails

www.dailymail.co.uk

A computer virus that has wormed its way into millions of PCs was activated today... but with little effect.

The Conficker virus, which has infected up to 15million computers since last autumn, has so far lurked harmlessly - but experts were braced for it to change the way it operated first thing this morning.

The 'worm' started looking for new instructions on what it should do next by scanning 50,000 different websites at midnight last night.

Experts feared the virus was about to be used by its creators to control an army' of 15 million 'zombie PCs' to steal bank details, send spam emails or even crash a major website.

But so far, nothing untoward has taken place.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Estharik]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The article shows a screenshot of what an infected computer pulled up, but I never got anything like that.

Maybe it was just a big conspiracy to get everyone hyped up over a virus that does nothing, just a test to see how much attention the author could get? To me that sounds like a good idea... if I were writing virii... or possibly the author wanted to check against the hype and actually have the virus change again at a later date to do the real damage?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
They key words are: until now.

We don't know. It could activate at 3 PM and shut down half of internet websites... If nothing happens in the next 3 days we can certainly say it was BS.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It activated last night at midnight, checking some 50,000 sites for next instructions (I don't know if that is on the site, but it was on the NBC Today show about 15 minutes ago) so it did activate once, but my question is will it activate again? The false activation gives anyone who is infected time to remove it if it will do so again so I don't know what the purpose of the first set would be.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Interesting as I turned on my computer I had my virus scan activated, ususaly I have it set for fridays.

I guess advertising the outcome of a virus infection just make the antivirus software ready for it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The virus was supposed to block most antivirus software and access to updates and their site. What program are you using?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
FWIW: Fox News had an alert about 10 mins ago stating that the infection is live and spreading but details on how many or the effects were not known.

So I guess the best thing to do is be vigilant, do what precautions you have available to you ...

and wait.

I do hate conflicting reports

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
They key words are: until now.

We don't know. It could activate at 3 PM and shut down half of internet websites... If nothing happens in the next 3 days we can certainly say it was BS.

Yeah, looks pretty quiet. Pc mag reports DNS activity but not much more at the moment. Personally, I don't see it being too much of a problem. Only time will tell.

Security company Trend Micro has seen the Conficker or Downadup worm increase the number of DNS resolutions, as expected, said Paul Ferguson, the lead researcher for security intelligence, advanced threats research. At this point, however, the worm has taken no other action.

Pc Mag Article

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
FWIW: Fox News had an alert about 10 mins ago stating that the infection is live and spreading but details on how many or the effects were not known.

Was that on the news or do you have a source I can read, please?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Estharik

I run windows live one care, like I said it probably ran during the night because as I turned my computer on this morning it gave me the report, I know for sure that my virus scan is only set up to run on Fridays.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

It was one of those Fox News ALERTS, that come on from time to time, usually takes a good 30+ mins for any story to become available..

That's why I said FWIW, it's a hurry up and wait moment.

The said it was spreading through networks, but gave no details as usual.

I guess we will know more in a short time.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i am offering up my services to remove the conficker hoax virus from ur computer for a low, low price of only $19.95 - and for a limited time i will also delete all the kiddie pr0n from ur pc too, as well as ur windows directory, that windows "operating system" virus is pretty nasty too - it first appeared as win95, then win98, again as win2k, winME and then xp and vista and now hides itself as win7.....if anyone needs help removing the conficker hoax then please just do us all a favor and unplug ur computer and throw it out of the window now, it's the only way to be safe...

seriously, think about it - if they "knew" it was gonna go off on april 1st why don't they know what it's gonna do? it is possible to look at the code and figure out what it's gonna do and where the info is gonna be sent....this is obviously a hoax and the 13 yr-old script kiddie pranksters are laughing their arses off....

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

marg, are you saying you only rely on Windows based security (virus and firewall protection)?

Say it aint so marg, say it aint so...

i suggest you get AVG, or Avast!, both are 100% free and solid anti-virus protection. Then i suggest you get a firewall, something like Comodo or Online Armor.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by k4rma

No, just because they found a kill switch date doesn't mean they found the payload. In fact, the payload was supposed to be downloaded by conficker on today. That's what all the hub-bubs about.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There are a few stories rolling in for those interested here is the link to the search on the worm:

news.google.com...

Here is the top story as of this post:

Conficker Worm Strike Reports Start Rolling In

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Actually to tell you the truth no, live one care is not the only one I have but the only one that acted funny this morning.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
if u find the killswitch then the sites where it will download instructions from will be in there too - how do they know it will "randomly generate" sites that it will download from? there will be some type of searchable hex on the webpage, i don't buy that crap about random sites - not only that but the virus has to send the info somewhere, so even if it does update then they're busted because the email will be traceable, there is a log of the IP Address that the cracker used to sign up for the free email...

find the code, find the "random" sites where the instructions are, take down the sites, find the script kiddie who wrote this crap and string him up by his ears...script kiddies like this give real hackers a bad name...

[edit on 1-4-2009 by k4rma]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
There are a few stories rolling in for those interested here is the link to the search on the worm:

news.google.com...

Here is the top story as of this post:

Conficker Worm Strike Reports Start Rolling In

In case you haven't guessed it yet, APRIL FOOLS!!! Seriously, if we get any real news about outages, deaths, or disruptions actually caused by Conficker today, you will read it here first.

READ BEFORE YOU POST!!!!

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I am starting to believe that it may be a April's fool joke too.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
good find jack, i've been googling every 2 minutes for that but took a break to post...be sure to read the whole article....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join