It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City workers taunt G20 protesters

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TailoredVagabond

No, clearly not everyone will now pay, the bankers and elite of this country aren't paying. In fact, they are the ones making the money from the people.

I know exactly who to be angry at, and that is this government who give themselves a pay rise while millions are unemployed and we have the larges financial crisis in over 60 years. They are the ones claiming obscene expenses for "second homes" and new kitchens while working fewer hours than average over any 12 month period. And they are also the ones making every effort to ensure that the people of this country are either too scared to disagree with them or are blatantly prevented from doing so.

I'm angry at them, and I'm angry at the bankers who already earn millions every year, and are then given millions more for their mistakes. I'm angry that the person who oversaw this recently admitted that he hadn't even checked how much he was signing away before doing it! What kind of authority signs a document giving away millions without even looking at the figures? A corrupt authority, that's who.

You can blame the people all you like, but they are not the ones entrusted with the power to make regulatory decisions. THAT is what we PAY GOVERNMENT for.
While they were busy inventing new ways to manipulate the crime rates and finding inventive arguments for why we shouldn't even be told how much they are taking in expenses, while they were creating mythical terrorists in an effort to scare us into giving up our basic rights and freedoms, they were letting the markets and the bankers gain power over the entire population.

Blame the population all you like for living beyond their means (I agree entirely) but they are not the ones paid to keep watch. We pay people to do this on our behalf, and they failed.

And you still haven't answered the question...

When a government consistently fails to listen to their people, and when their actions are widely viewed to be corrupt and against the wishes of the people who pay them, what do the people do?

If peaceful protest is ignored, goes without comment, changes nothing, what are the people supposed to do to prevent their "democratic" government from becoming a dictatorship in all but name? How do we prevent the Police state we see this country becoming?

You state that violent protest changes nothing, I beg to differ. There are examples of revolutions throughout history which began with marches on governments and rulers. Civil wars have come about through nations deciding that their government is no longer representative of the people, and they began with polite protest, which was ignored.

If a government ignores peaceful protest, and continues on their path while laughing openly at the population they are supposed to represent, what then?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
The police waited inside the bank while it took half an hour for some twerp to smash that window. They could have prevented that any time they liked, but it was a fantastic media oppertunity (who just happened to be waiting right there when it happened, next to the only bank not boarded up) to make us look bad. It's a smear campaign. It was a blatent set up.

Its clear that those responsible didn't have the brains to realise a bait-trap when they were presented with one...if that's the level of intellect of those who were protesting for 'us' then there's no hope

I just hate the situation they've landed the world in. It's time to change.

Change is not brought about by acting like loutish arses smashing property and screaming at the authorities like a 2yr old having a tantrum in a supermarket. If you don't like the way the 'system' is being run, then either play no part in it, or work constructively to achieve change

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
the police waited inside the bank while it took half an hour for some twerp to smash that window. They could have prevented that any time they liked, but it was a fantastic media oppertunity (who just happened to be waiting right there when it happened, next to the only bank not boarded up) to make us look bad. It's a smear campaign. It was a blatent set up.

On this, I have to say that it wasn't a very good move then, because the majority of the people I work with laughed heartily at the papers yesterday with that image across the front.

I work in security, these are all level-headed, intelligent people. Even our senior staff gave comments of "they deserve it" and "what do RBS expect?"

I have not met one person who has criticized the smashing up of that bank.

And you know why? Because the vast majority of people in this country are fed up of seeing "others" profiteering from the suffering and struggling of the people.
RBS are a symbol of that.

Yes it was mindless, yes it was all very emotive, but you cannot deny Human emotion, especially anger.
I don't care how much it costs to police a riot, or how much damage was done, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the money being paid out in bonuses and the money going to MP's.

I don't blame the workers of a bank. I blame their bosses and the government who failed to regulate.
I do also blame those workers taunting from the windows. And their colleagues should be ashamed of them too. They chose to make a very bad statement which slandered many of their peers needlessly.

People are going to be angry, and how others present themselves in this mess is vital to maintaining support, and not being viewed as another example of corruption and greed.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
These people who resort to violence are complete losers. Please don't don't delude yourselves by pretending thes people actually stand for something. They are nothing more than thugs who are completely devoid of any common sense or intelligence. Do humanity a favour and go back to the gene pool.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by kindred]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I don't care how much it costs to police a riot, or how much damage was done, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the money being paid out in bonuses and the money going to MP's..

...how others present themselves in this mess is vital to maintaining support

Which course of action are you advocating here?

Two wrongs dont equal a right. Just because financiers and MPs do something is no reason to behave just as atrociously

Rise above that idea, become a better person than those you oppose and make a start from there, and it will be looked upon as creating an example to be followed by others, and will have a far greater chance of being taken seriously by those who have ears to listen

[edit on 3-4-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well said Citizen Smith
These greedy people can't help themselves, because they are weak. It makes no difference how much money or wealth they have, as it's never enough. Why anyone would want to become like them is beyond me. Let's just leave them to drown in their own greed, hatred & ignorance and rise above them, because most of us are better than that.

The only concern any true human being should have, is to become the best person they possibly can be and to ignore those who try and drag everyone else down to their level. I do so find these people truly amusing.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

You can blame the people all you like, but they are not the ones entrusted with the power to make regulatory decisions. THAT is what we PAY GOVERNMENT for.

If a government ignores peaceful protest, and continues on their path while laughing openly at the population they are supposed to represent, what then?

Speak with your ballot!

....and by the way - the people have entrusted these politicians (as have I).

So they DO have some culpability in this, whether that is mainstream-fodder or not. No politician will say it, nor will anyone like to admit it, but the people put these crooks in power. Shame.

...but yes, fat cats won't pay. Just everyone else.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I didn't know you worke - I work too!!!

I have to put something here to avoiud points deductions, but I was only in disagreeance with violent protests... that's all!!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
These greedy people can't help themselves, because they are weak. It makes no difference how much money or wealth they have, as it's never enough. Why anyone would want to become like them is beyond me. Let's just leave them to drown in their own greed, hatred & ignorance and rise above them, because most of us are better than that.

I read that to include the greedy and weak at the bottom of the pile as well, the average person on the street

If the average-people hadn't have succumbed to the lure of easy credit and temptation of a lifestyle beyond their means, we wouldn't be in this financial mess.

The buck started with the consumer, and now that the merry-go-round has stopped and the time to collect on the debts has come, the once-consumer is now crying foul at having to cough up whats rightfully owed as the illusion of wealth and lifestyle comes crashing down around them like a house of (credit) cards

I'll leave ALL the greedy and weak to go baying for someone, anyone, to be held accountable except themselves. Their greed and ignorance is now turning to hatred...go cry me a river

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Well,I'm glad that misunderstanding is cleared up

I'm against violent protests too in the FAR majority of cases,this being one of them..
There will come a time of violence and tribulation soon enough,now is not it though.
It is my intention to be far away from that one too.

In the case of these workers,who I previously respected for attending work in the face of a protest,they were trying to INCITE violence...
So how could you support that?

That was both cowardice (it was done in the presence of a large police presence and enough reporters to outnumber the protesters) AND criminal.(Incitement to riot).

Obviously you are emotionally attached to this particular topic(as am I) so..

Just for a moment imagine a change in 'protest topic' to any other subject..Anything..

Protest against say..
Racism,
just for a far enough removed topic.

Now,if a protest consisting of peacefully protesting coloured people were demonstrating,and some smartass white kids were hanging out the windows dressed in Ku Klux clan outfits and caused a riot..

Just who would you deem responsible for the ensuing damage?

I'm pretty sure I know where the word of the law would stand,here in this day and age of political correctness.

So WHY is this different?

Why exactly do we just know where the blame would be placed?
Something relating to money,power,greed,wealth perhaps?

THAT is why I choose to make just enough to exist on,and hand out my resources/free time to people who aren't in a position as fortunate as myself.

When the SHTF I will be quite happy to walk away from the material items I have and head off to greener pastures.
If I lived in a palatial house adorned with trinkets,would I be so quick to leave it behind?Maybe not.
Maybe I'd be looking at ways to guard and protect those possessions..
Vastly outnumbered against crowd looking to 'acquire' said items.

Hey,I'm not trying to preach or be overly moralistic here anyway.
Let's call in an exercise in my own self -preservation

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I doubt the city workers NEEDED to hang out the window to 'start' the violence. The people at the protest would always find a reason to be violent, which is unfortunately the way of the world.

I'm not sure where I stand about rioting against racism (not protesting against racism - that's a very good thing!!!!) - I'd say it needed to be done in orer to enforce change.

That example is a bit abstract and sort of off-topic, but I do belive that most violent protesters (especially anti-war protesters and G20 protesters), if not all, don't know what the he|| they are being violent for.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond
The people at the protest....

There's 'the' problem..
Tarring everybody with the 'the brush'.

There's a world of difference between a 60 woman who's just lost her home due to financiers mishandling her retirement fund..

..and a 19 yr old twoccer with 16 asbos who's never worked a day in his life because..

"Iz jus no' werf it innit!! "

I know which one I wouldn't care about getting a touch of police brutality.

But you still have to blame the PTB for encouraging such a pathetic excuse for a life to run free anyway.

I've been abroad working for years before too,just like we see in this Country,it takes gonads to up and relocate to go where the work is.
Why don't they do the same?

But the degeneration to a lawless,benefit dependent society hasn't happened overnight,it could have been halted at any time...

By allowing people the right to defend their property with the same 'gusto' as scum like this would use to take it.
By allocating funds to the right places instead of crooked councils and politicians coffers.

How do you feel about Politicians getting ridiculous grants for second homes for instance?
They are only doing a job right?
So why shouldn't they have to pay for their living like anyone else?
What about bonuses for losers in charge of running companies into the ground but still coming up with millions for their failures?

Doesn't any of this seem worth protesting over?
If you decided to join the protests I'm pretty sure there are people here who wouldn't assume you are just going for a wrestle with a cop in riot gear.

Protests should be a positive thing.
Showing the PTB that we aren't impressed with their mishandling of the Country
Why are they so eager to criminalise everybody without prejudice?

Would you want your granny treated in the same way as some lazy waste of life?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
this is getting circulated

Disposing of your old kettle in an environmentally friendly way is difficult. Since the police seem to like kettles so much help them out by sending your old kettle to:

Metropolitan Police Service
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

Pass the idea on to anyone you know who has an old kettle they want to get rid of or who wants to protest against police tactics. A few thousand kettles should restrict their mobility somewhat.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Great idea, I will get down my local charity shop in the morning and buy up as many as I can.
Damn, this was a two line post before I submitted it!

[edit on 3-4-2009 by RE2505]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Train ticket to the G20 demo: £53.20

Fine for 'Breach of the peace': £100

Vandalising the only bank in the
city actually owned by the public: Priceless

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Standing by while we get well and truely shafted by TPB. Absolutely free.

Oh wise one, please tell us how else to go about expressing our dissatisfaction with the way things are. I see several posters have also asked the same question yet none of you have any answers.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RE2505
Standing by while we get well and truely shafted by TPB. Absolutely free.

Oh wise one, please tell us how else to go about expressing our dissatisfaction with the way things are. I see several posters have also asked the same question yet none of you have any answers.

Standing by?

Nope...busy getting on with a plan to make a tidy sum out of an opportunity created by this recession

Shafted by TPTB?

Nope...In fact have had encouraging signs from the markets, and policies by TPTB, that the above plan will work

Tell you how to go about expressing your dissastisfaction?

Why focus on protesting against the negative, when you can put that energy and enthusiasm into creating something positive. I'm retraining for a career in renewable energy to help free those trapped in energy-poverty...how about you?

edit to add:

If you still want to take direct action, then rather assemble on the streets, buy 1 share in each of the companies you feel aggrieved about, and get into the AGM/shareholders meetings and take your complaint directly and in person to the boards of directors

[edit on 3-4-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You state that violent protest changes nothing, I beg to differ. There are examples of revolutions throughout history which began with marches on governments and rulers. Civil wars have come about through nations deciding that their government is no longer representative of the people, and they began with polite protest, which was ignored.

Indeed. Last time I checked, the country I live in and love is the result of violent protest. And the violent protests around the world in that time frame also acted to bring change to countries that did not have their own revolutions, as their leaders saw a trend, and decided to offer some concessions to their people before they lost their heads.

Every thing in moderation, including moderation.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I'm not saying, nor did I say "ALL people at the protest".

Secondly, I didn't say I disagree with protesting, but the coverage of this is only EVER about the violence and it is the violent idiots who cheapen the protest for me.

I'd rather slander our leaders and vote for the others guys - a lesser evil.

Violence alone has never brought anything of worth to this world.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you!!!

However, should be a nice little earner for them, given current price per tonne for scrap metal.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join