It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Persecution of Christians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
A lot of Christians I've talked to have complained about the media bashing them, people finding it PC to attack Christian beliefs, and just a general mocking of them. Monuments being taken down, children being told they can't pray in school, etc. To these people I say, calm down. You may think you have it bad here in the US. It has gotten worse, and we'd become complacant with where the country was going. Now that it's gotten there, we suddenly speak out. We, here in America, have it very good! It could be better, but it could be a LOT worse. I propose you find out what has been happening to our brothers and sisters throughout the world.

TORTURED CHINESE PASTOR PLEADS FOR PRISON TRANSFER BEFORE HE IS KILLED:
www.assistnews.net...

MUSLIM VIOLENCE FORCES CHRISTIAN WITHDRAWAL FROM PEACE TALKS
www.assistnews.net...

TERROR GROUP THREATENS TO KILL IRAQI CHRISTIANS
www.assistnews.net...

CHURCH ATTACKED ON EASTER SATURDAY AND CHURCH LEADER SHOT IN DRIVE-BY SHOOTING
www.assistnews.net...

These are just a few examples. Instead of sitting at home whining, we should be out there trying to help our brothers and sisters who are in REAL distress. There is hope:

MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIAN LEADERS URGE U.N. TO END SUFFERING OF CONVERTS
www.assistnews.net...

FOUR CHRISTIAN STUDENTS RELEASED IN EGYPT AFTER PRESSURE
www.assistnews.net...

Of course I know, Christians are not the only religion that is being persecuted in this manner, but I've noticed it is the least publicized. At least here in America and in many of the european news sites I visit daily. It wasn't until I heard an interview with someone from assist news on a Christian radio program (The Bible Answer Man) that I even knew this kind of thing was going on. I'm just trying to bring it to light. Pray for them, brothers and sisters!

EDIT: By conparing our situation with theirs, we truely belittle what they are going through.

[Edited on 4-21-2004 by junglejake]

2nd EDIT: Found some info on N. Korea, too:

Ongoing � North Korea has been suffering a terrible famine. This has caused many especially Christians in China to risk huge fines by harboring starving North Koreans who have crossed over the border. A number of these have become Christians and so returned to North Korea.

Ongoing � Since 1953 about 300,000 Christians have "disappeared." Anyone found with a Bible may be shot. It is estimated that 400 Christians were executed in 1999 alone.

Ongoing � North Korean refugees continue to report the horrible abuse of Christian prisoners in North Korea. One woman reported seeing Christians killed when molten steel was poured on them. She also stated that Christian prisoners were often not given clothes and were treated like animals.

May 24-26, 2002 - Six North Korean defectors were caught in Yunnan Province, China. They are currently being transported to northern China where they will be handed over to North Korean authorities. One of the defectors, Mr. Lee Hong-gang is a Christian whose family members were killed for their witness of Christ. It is believed that Mr. Lee and the others will be executed upon being returned to North Korea. One of the group is a 2-year-old boy whose mother has been granted asylum in South Korea. (CSW)

December 2001 - Fifteen North Koreans were arrested in Inner Mongolia, China. They were then deported back to North Korea and undoubtedly put into labor camps. Four people helping them escape are still in prison in China. One of them, a North Korean who had gained South Korean citizenship, is in danger of being deported to North Korea as well. (CSW)

December 1999 � ... One had his teeth broken because he continued to preach the gospel even as he was being carried off to be executed.

1987-1992: Soon Ok Yi, claims she witnessed monthly execution of Christians while imprisoned during the time listed. During these executions, Christians were asked to deny their faith in Jesus and Heaven. If they refused, they were beaten to death.

Source: www.persecution.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I do not believe in religious organizations but I respect religious beliefs I can not believe that here in US is persecutions against any religious groups. I was told all my life that One of the best things about america is that you can believe on anything you one and is ok and nobody will retaliate against you for what you believe. Sorry to hear that.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
All of these attacks took place in very religious hot spot areas.

They are not being persecuted any more than any other religion. Any country made mostly of devout muslims is not going to welcome missionaries on the best of days.

And missionaries by their very nature are not passive people.

I'm not saying that christians being attacked is good, I just think we need to look at the context here, this didn't happen in Miami.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
I'm not saying that christians being attacked is good, I just think we need to look at the context here, this didn't happen in Miami.

Spiderj

That was my point. We here in America don't have it so bad.

From Laos (non musslim nation):
Christians in Laos have been labeled as the number one enemy of this largely Buddhist state, with Hmong believers targeted as "subversive elements." Buddhist organizations are openly promoted, but the government only recognizes three Christian denominations. The Lao constitution contains provisions for freedom of religion, but they are largely ignored.

To Vietnam:
www.persecution.org...

To China:
The underground Christian Church in China continues to be persecuted by the government as they refuse to register with the authorities. Most key Christian leaders of the underground church have been arrested, tortured, beaten, and have been fined and imprisoned, but they boldly continue to serve God. The underground church continues to grow at a rate of between 20,000 to 25,000 new Christians daily, whereas the state sponsored church shows a declining membership.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I got it, this attacks were done outside US. well I do not like when somebody try to preach to me but I am not going to attack that person for that. We americans tend to be a little bit arrogants when it comes to what we believe over what other countries believes mostly the religious kind.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

And missionaries by their very nature are not passive people.

I know you're not saying that because Missionaries try to evangelize and help people come to God, it justifies their persecution. Right?

This kind of stuff happens a lot, and it's sad. I see it even here on ATS, even though not nearly as extreme. With any religion, there are people who don't want you to practice it, and say you are in the wrong for doing so (whether it be through making fun or getting shot) and I don't think that is right in the least.

It saddens me to think of such things happening to my brothers and sisters in Christ, but this is a risk I assume they know they must take when practicing their faith. I hope they take solace in the fact that God loves them and will receive them after death.

The least a Christian can do is pray for the people who face the worst persecution; that might actually be the best way we can help.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I know you're not saying that because Missionaries try to evangelize and help people come to God, it justifies their persecution. Right?

No of course I'm not. What I'm saying is that there are only so many times a devoted, extremely militant muslim (not all muslims) will allow you to approach him about conversion before he gets a littly stabby.

That was my point. We here in America don't have it so bad.

Sorry Jungle Jake, should have made it more apparent that I was just agreeing with you, not tother way round.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So the basic argument here is Americans should not passionately defend their freedoms here in the USA because other countries have it worse? You can make that same argument for every freedom in America, not just the rights of Christians.

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid.

If any freedoms are being taken away do not take it calmly.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

So the basic argument here is Americans should not passionately defend their freedoms here in the USA because other countries have it worse? You can make that same argument for every freedom in America, not just the rights of Christians.

I don't think anyone is saying that, I just personally don't think persecution is the right word for it.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid.

If any freedoms are being taken away do not take it calmly.

No no no, I'm an active advocate to protect our freedoms! If we don't fight against the oppression of religion, which is taking place here in the US, we could end up like those countries. I just wanted to point out how bad many christians have it out there, and they're recieving no media attention! I think part of this is due to Americans focusing on themselves and saying woe is me, life is so hard, without seeing the bigger picture. we need to focus outward as well as inward. Our great nation can pressure these other nations to stop, just as we did with Egypt.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is saying that, I just personally don't think persecution is the right word for it.

Spiderj

I would call what Americans recieve here in the US oppression. We're being silenced. Persecution would be if the government started jailing us for speaking out about Jesus in public.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I would call what Americans recieve here in the US oppression. We're being silenced. Persecution would be if the government started jailing us for speaking out about Jesus in public.

I can agree with you on that.

SPiderj

And I think we can all still agree that no one suspects the Spanish Inquisition!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sorry should've been expects the spanish inquisition, I'm so ashamed.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Oppresion in what sense ?

I feel as if the west is vehement on forcing Christianity down my throat. We celebrate Christian holidays in a secular society. Why is that ?

Deep

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Oppresion in what sense ?

I feel as if the west is vehement on forcing Christianity down my throat. We celebrate Christian holidays in a secular society. Why is that ?

Deep

I think that largly the US (groups within, not the nation as a whole) is trying to silence all religions. Our celebrations of Christian holidays has started to go away, now celebrating the holidays instead of Christmas, etc. However, the dates do still continue to match for days off, and the like. We're not there yet.

As far as America being a secular society, it's a secular society because the most outspoken people have made it a secular society. It didn't start out that way. For a while...Well, let me quote a song by Michael W Smith, a christian singer:

We�re passengers aboard the train
Silent little lambs amidst the pain
That�s no longer good enough
And when it�s time to speak our faith
We use a language no one can explain
That�s no longer good enough

We haven't really been outspoken for a while. Now, I think, it's starting to dawn on the general Christian population that being the silent majority is causing us to be silenced not by our own choice, but by the law and by groups who are anti-religion. I've noticed in the past year or so a massive resurgance of Christians getting involved, speaking out, etc. There is a movement out there to change the first ammendment's interpretation from freedom from religion back to freedom of religion.

EDIT: By the way, I totally support the message of that song. The message is "For the world to know the Truth, there can be no greater proof then to live the life." I wish more christians would try to do this. I think if more of us tried to live the life, and weren't openly hostile as many of us are to opposing viewpoints, we wouldn't create this massive opposition against us. People like KayEm wouldn't have such a negative portrayal of Christians if we did this because we wouldn't condem him/her for being a pagan. That's not our job. Our job is to spread the Truth. God will judge, he;s infallable, we can misinterpret the scriptures and judge on rules that were never there.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
excuse me people the christians holidays we celebrate in US are US version of it, this holidays are on days that best goes with sales events HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Could it be that the Christians are jsut getting a little of their own back?

I'm not saying this applies to all Christians. As with any religious group is the fanatics that make life difficult for everyone else, but the Christian religion isn't really known for being tolerant of others & their beliefs. Here in the US we have "Christian" groups that bomb abortion clinics and commit hate crimes against other religious organizations. Why do you think the Jewish community was so upset about the release of The Passion? They thought it would only serve to incite those extremists to more acts of violence.

And historically, the Christians aren't really the best example of tolerance & acceptance. Anyone remember the crusades? Actual wars waged against people unwilling to change their belief structures. And let's not forget what was done to the "pagan" religions.

Mind you, I don't believe that two wrongs make a right. I do believe that sooner or later you get back what you give out.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What comes around, goes around. After hundreds of years of rape, torture, theft, slavery, murder, extortion and a host of other "sins" the Christian world is finally starting to receive what they so graciously gave.

Ironic.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Preest
What comes around, goes around. After hundreds of years of rape, torture, theft, slavery, murder, extortion and a host of other "sins" the Christian world is finally starting to receive what they so graciously gave.

Ironic.

Guess that makes everything good.

Better vote this thread down!

Name one group of people who have not committed those attrocities in the "name" of their belief so as to incite the people, please.

EDIT: After reading WW's post, I wanted to modify the challenge.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
those people who did the raping and killing were not christians in the first place...its like saying im a buddhist and going out and commiting heinous acts against people....they werent christians.....and yes they are going to get what they deserve along with the satanists and atheists who commit atrocities

top topics

<<   2 >>

join