It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Threatens to Shoot Down Spy Planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

North Korea Threatens to Shoot Down Spy Planes

www.voanews.com

North Korea says it will shoot down any U.S. spy planes if they violate its airspace and try to monitor its planned launch of a rocket early this month.

In a message announced over state-radio Wednesday, North Korea said that it would shoot the planes down unsparingly if they tried to interfere with its preparations.

North Korea says it plans to launch what it calls a satellite rocket into space between April 4-8. The United States, South Korea and Japan say the launch is just a cover for a long-range ballistic missile test.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea Threatens War Against Japan Over Missile
North Korea Has Two Nuclear Warheads for Missile, Kyodo Reports
US admits N. Korea missile likely to carry satellite

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
In my opinion, this latest threat only eases my worries, it is a record that keeps on skipping. Everytime the 6 nation talks grow near, NK, ramps up the rhetoric in hopes of gaining some leverage to once again come away with another deal to bring funds and concessions.

On the other hand, it could be the Cry Wolf syndrome and when they actually mean it...

No one will believe it?

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Yeah with what? With their old AAA? Or will they send their fighters against the UAVs?

And this is rhetoric. The US violates NK airspace ALL THE TIME and they probably don't know it... still NK don't do a thing.

And I found this:

NK have been praticing anti-air drills since January 30 Signs to come?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Funny. lol

They accuse planes of flying over their territory and snapping pics in airplanes? LOL.

Didn't they EVER hear of a satellite..............?

Oh wait, yeah.
They are trying to launch one?

LOL.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
The US violates NK airspace ALL THE TIME and they probably don't know it... still NK don't do a thing.

I somehow doubt that. Do you have a source ?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Satellites aren't the only way we are getting pictures and information from North Korea. RC-135s are flying near the borders getting elint information, and U-2s are flying taking pictures as well.

The USAF flies U-2s out of South Korea, and has for many years. We used to see four U-2s a year minimum heading to and from South Korea. One going twice a year, and one coming back twice a year. Even though they fly at high altitude there have been a total of 7 U-2s shot down.

The RC-135s are always buzzing around the border when there's a missile test going on, or activity near a missile site. They deliberately try to get SAM/AAA sites to come up against them so they can figure out radar types and locations. They also carry cameras in some models of them to take pictures. An RC-135 is just a 707 airframe, so if they were engaged by fighters they wouldn't stand a chance. Or if they were trying to get a radar to come up, and were engaged by a site optically, or by a site they didn't see.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
As always Zaphod The infinite fountain of aerial knowledge. What I found humours was this:

North Korea says it will shoot down any U.S. spy planes if they violate its airspace and try to monitor its planned launch of a rocket early this month.

I seriously dont think we need a spy plane to monitor the launch from inside N korean airspace. We have assets that can do this from afar. I am of the opinion that Japan shoot the missle down as it starts to turn up and before it even leaves the ground. Tired of n Korean saber rattling. Reminds me of Paris Hilton giving a panty shot for attention every couple of months.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by drift393]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
I seriously dont think we need a spy plane to monitor the launch from inside N korean airspace. We have assets that can do this from afar.

We don't. International law says a countries air space extends for 12nm from the coast. We can have spy planes and ships patrol right along the border and catch plenty of valuable elint.

If the US tried doing overflights like the U2 did over Russia or Cuba back in the 1960s, I have no doubt DPRK would shoot it down.

I highly doubt we're violating their airspace to collect intelligence. It's a tiny country, there is no need to risk the provocation.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't doubt that we "DO" have spy planes over flying N.K.

Now, is it U2's or are they referring to small drones....
(think like what we use in Pakistan).

I doubt they could shoot down a high flying plane-rant or not.

They may be able to take out a small, relatively slow moving drone...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

North Korea has both the SA-2 and SA-5 SAM systems.

The SA-2 has a max range of 28 miles, and altitude of 66,000 feet. The SA-2 was responsible for most or all of the U-2s that were shot down. They also shot down several RB-57s that were modified for high altitude flight.

The SA-5 has a max range of almost 200 miles with a max altitude of 130,000 feet. The top speed of the SA-5 is Mach 8, and it has a single shot kill probability of 0.85, and is capable of engaging targets at up to Mach 4. North Korea has 4 batallions of SA-5s.

top topics

join