It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live: G20 Summit Build-up - BBC News

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
One police officer wounded, now it's 1 for 1.

And on the ratio, I have no idea. I'd say it has to be at least 50 protesters to 1 cop.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

There is alot of police, there lined up all down the streets, but i fear the crowd is now getting bigger and bigger,

A police officer has been injured out side the bank of england,

CX

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Police officer has just been injured to, one protester masked up with a long stick doing a fair bit of whacking towards the police.

I know i'll get flamed for this, but i have broad shoulders, the majority of the protesters are keeping it peacefull, but you can clearly see theres a few intent on starting trouble.

IMO the police should get rid of the gobby ones straight away, but then again that will probably add fuel to the fiire.

I reckon the police are doing an ok job so far considering what they have to organise.

CX.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The police line is broken! Batons come out!!!

Wow, this is going to get ugly.

They keep coming at the police in waves - someone just got hit with a stick - we're trapped in, but police are shouting at us to move back

"The police barricade is now being pushed on both sides. I have a feeling the police are going to hit us."

I am now a fan of twitter.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Karlhungis]

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The problem is the BBC is not impartial, they'll only follow instruction on this from the government and they won't be telling you the truth.

I know it's the easiest option, but people really need to start looking away from the BBC to find out what is really happening.
london.indymedia.org.uk...
www.lasthours.org.uk...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Now the police dressed in black are out at the climate camp.

Interestingly, I think there's more press than Police!

Another arrest in progress with an animated crowd around them.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
#
The mood is turning from love and music to frustration. No one can get through the police line and fights are starting.
by lenadecasparis via twitter at 1:12 PM

Good old police tactics, turn a peaceful protest in to a riot and blame the 'trouble makers' haven't we seen that before in NY ?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

t is obvious that police are trying to cause violence by keeping people trapped, and then hitting them when they push back. Fortunately I managed to convince one police officer to let Rowenna and I to the other side

I am curious how long the crowd will be able to deal with this.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Something that bugs me right now...

The reporters keep assigning those "trouble makers" with anarchist groups "intent on causing trouble".

I have to say I think this is a very narrow view.

So, if someone is angry with our government and expresses that anger, they're now automatically an "anarchist intent on causing trouble"?

I'm not an "anarchist" and I'm not "intent on causing trouble" but I am still a citizen of this country that is absolutely irate at the arrogance and irresponsibility of our government.

I'd be there screaming about it too if the Police were restricting my freedom to do so.

I don't see "anarchists", I see angry Brits trying to show just how angry the people are.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree with you. Remember that the media gets paid by keeping the status quo these days. The protesters are certainly against the status quo right now.

I am proud of the protesters. It is great to see a populace with a spine.

CX

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Good old police tactics, turn a peaceful protest in to a riot and blame the 'trouble makers' haven't we seen that before in NY ?

These are the sort of comments that confuse me, and please don't think i'm saying i'm right or wrong here.

Can you honestly say that if the police stayed away from the capital and let the crowds do whatever they wanted, it would all go ahead smoothly and peacefully? Thats almost laughable!

You can see that there are elements that are out to cause trouble despite the majority or protesters being peacefull.

What if these more destructive elements were allowed to run riot, cause damage, and drag other members of the crowd into the chaos? We would see the same people moaning about the police presence, moaning about the lack of it.

I really don't know what to suggest?

IMO the police DO have to be there.

CX.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
wow, just read through all the posts and people really love to bash the police. whatever they do will be wrong I suppose. They look like they're showing great tactics aswell as great restraint so far. They've held their lines and haven't charged the crowds whilst dealing with idiots screaming in their faces trying to get a rise out of them and throwing objects at them and trying to draw on their backs.

If no one else is going to say it because theyre so blinded by their personal vendetta against the police I will. WELL DONE SO FAR TO THE POLICE.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

its very strange , I have the Twiitter link you posted up and I'm following that (ty sir ) along with CNN , it is funny because its like there are 2 different events happening , both are making it sound very different

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

#
Reporting for Sunny: Massive surge, we got pushed back into the crowd and one policeman is injured. Complete mayhem - police in retreat. Fighting taking place: we are getting shoved by the police everywhere
by Jessica_CIF edited by Jessica_CIF at 5:23 AM

They've breached the line - gas everywhere red
by Rowenna_Davis via twitter at 5:21 AM

Aparently big fights with police ahead but we're slowly edging forward!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I have to agree with you on that, they do have to be there.

What I am concerned about is their actions on the ground. We've already seen them snatching scarfs from faces, smacking people with batons when they are forced forward due to the crowd.

They are police officers, not crowd control. They are making clear mistakes and serious injuries (and death) can be caused by bad crowd control.

All it will take is one Police officer to make a stupid move that the crowd interpret as unjust, and that will move things into a riot. As we saw in Greece last year.

I'm glad I haven't seen the riot cops out yet. But the guys in black with their cuffs and spray cans on show isn't a good decision either.

UPDATE: The riot police are now out in force.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
the tactic now seems to be steal police helmets....it really does raise the question what them particular people are there for because if i was there protesting against global events, stealing an individual police officers helmet would not validate my arguemnt.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by onetruesaxon]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
riot police now moving in, uniformed police are retreting to their vans

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by CX

I have to agree with you on that, they do have to be there.

What I am concerned about is their actions on the ground. We've already seen them snatching scarfs from faces, smacking people with batons when they are forced forward due to the crowd.

They are police officers, not crowd control. They are making clear mistakes and serious injuries (and death) can be caused by bad crowd control.

All it will take is one Police officer to make a stupid move that the crowd interpret as unjust, and that will move things into a riot. As we saw in Greece last year.

I'm glad I haven't seen the riot cops out yet. But the guys in black with their cuffs and spray cans on show isn't a good decision either.

UPDATE: The riot police are now out in force.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by detachedindividual]
Rows of polis in full riot gear emerging at the RBS, bottles thrown and windows smashed. (from people there, not on the news)

CX

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Protesters attempting to smash windows of RBS now....thats from Sky.

CX.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I love how the MASSES, like you all, hate people who are responsible and focused.
take a look at the picture of that guy pretending he has a gun and his other hand is in his pants.
exactly
the G20 individuals are focused, responsible, and have learned how to create. the protesters are fools who think we should share everything and are lazy, greedy, and delusional. The protestors think they are ENTITLED to something without working hard. LOL

face it people. the sheep are the protestors.
the masses WANT the NWO. YOU ALL asked for it coz u rather have someone take care of you than be responsible for yourself.

instead of shutting up and learning from responsible people, u are envious and complain.
play the blame game. LOOK IN THE MIRROR. these people DID NOTHING TO YOU.
you did it all to yourself.
the masses go to war. the masses take out huge loans, etc....

but nevermind, keep complaining instead of taking responsibility.
lazy,
greedy,
and
delusional

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join