It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live: G20 Summit Build-up - BBC News

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
People carrying death signs and effigy's of dead bankers. "Eat the bankers!" signs. I bet some of the bankers are pretty nervous these days.

from the twitter feed:

"At least several hundred of them are crossing the Thames. Lots of death symbols - coffins and grim reapers..."

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Police snatching scarves from faces.
That's not good.

Oh, here it goes.

Sky are right in the middle of it and Russel Brand is there! WooHoo!

I hate to be cynical, but he seems to be taking the opportunity for a bit of free publicity.

If he gives a speech and actually states why he's there with a solid argument I'll forgive him though.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Is it illegal to wear a scarf now? I wouldn't think so, but I wouldn't think it is illegal to photograph a cop either.

It sounds like the crowds are all now merging at the BofE. It should get interesting now.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
OK, switched off from Sky while the drunk or high Russel is making no statements of worth.

Oh my that was embarrassing.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by detachedindividual

Is it illegal to wear a scarf now? I wouldn't think so, but I wouldn't think it is illegal to photograph a cop either.

It sounds like the crowds are all now merging at the BofE. It should get interesting now.

Indeed, apparently it's illegal to have an opposing political view in the UK now too.

1984 anyone?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Oh things look like they're kicking off outside the Bank of England ... police moving the protesters along.

The armoured vehicle is an ex British Army Saracen apc. I think. Or maybe it's a Humber Pig, one of the two. Ex Army anyway.

CX

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

I hate to be cynical, but he seems to be taking the opportunity for a bit of free publicity.

If he gives a speech and actually states why he's there with a solid argument I'll forgive him though.

Lol well that didn't happen did it!

I don't think he knows why he's there.....he looks and sounds off his face!!!

Like you say, free publicity, and shame on Sky News for focusing thier cameras on just another boring attention seeking celeb, instead on the more important footage that they could be getting around them.

CX.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Chants are going "Eat the Bankers" and "Storm the Banks"

"Revolution" seems to be the most common word.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

we're battling with police now, they wont let the protesters through, people are informing them politely these are 'our streets'

hmmm.....

"Come and join us! Give up work - you're slaves to the system!" Protestors shout up at bankers in windows.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Lol well that didn't happen did it!

I don't think he knows why he's there.....he looks and sounds off his face!!!

Like you say, free publicity, and shame on Sky News for focusing thier cameras on just another boring attention seeking celeb, instead on the more important footage that they could be getting around them.

CX.

Indeed, if he hadn't been completely off his tits and if he'd actually contributed some intelligent discussion (which he is definitely capable of), then it would have been worthwhile.

I can understand if he's just being there as a citizen, but his body language was all about him being a celeb.

Car crash TV, courtesy of Russel Brand.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is a by the by ... my late lamented Dad was trained in riot procedures during his Navy service. I've heard the term "reading the Riot Act" but according to him it was true. They'd get a judge out with a megaphone & read the protesters the Riot Act, giving them a few minutes to disperse ....

.... then shoot the ringleaders dead. And that dispersed them quick enough.

Not that I'm advocating that here though, Dad was a bit fruity loopy in his dotage

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

That is a pretty effective way to handle a crowd. It could backfire though. I haven't seen any video, so I can't say how large the crowd is. If it is large enough and the cops open fire.... it could get very ugly.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

#
we just brolke through the police lines. policeman retreated, our streets!
by Kennardcif via twitter at 3:58 AM
#
Sunny: oooh a bit of pushing and shoving is taking place! Cameras going wild

Now this sounds promising....

Smoke bombs - police climbing to higher grounds to escape. Crowds chucking stuff at them.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Just listened to Tony Ben on Sky, and he was giving a lot of support to the protesters.

He said that the leaders are the last ones to get the message from the public, and that it takes these protests and non-political party groups to make change. The louder people shout the quicker the message is heard by the PTB.

He thinks we're on the verge of massive global political change, and I have to say I agree with him.

----------------------------

Police are now having trouble holding the crowd, there is a crowding issue and they are retreating to loud cheers.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Chants of Revolution may be interpreted by police as incitement to riot so people had better be careful down there doing that...

Interesting how the city guys at Canary Wharf don't have to wear suits. Must be a safety thing so that they don't become targets.

It's gonna get real interesting over the afternoon IMHO.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Skynews: Masked protester: 'We will rush banks this afternoon.'

That sounds like something different.... I've never seen banks rushed during a protest yet..

CX

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Lol Sky has just shown pics of protesters throwing plastic footballs back and forward over the police, it looks like they are playing volleyball, using the single police line as the net!

It looks pretty good natured at the moment. There are a few idiots throwing things (other than the balls), that will probably start something if it carries on, and it looks like the sheer surge of protesters will be a problem.

I hope it passes peacefully, but you can almost feel something waiting in the wings can't you.

CX.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ambushrocks

Here we go - I wonder if they actually will or if it's just bravado...

Is it on their website at all or was it just on the TV?

I predict rioting by 3pm.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Cut to parliament where they're discussing expenses, notice they'll not mention the pay rise they gave themselves yesterday!

SCUM, they need to go.

Cameron is no better than any of the others, he's trying to align himself with the public while happily accepting a pay rise.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Lol..yeah most protests start out with a bunch of people being quite fun to hang around with and play volleyball with cops...lol

But I'm afraid too something is coming...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join