It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Offical Just woke up ..Found out smoke's are 3 dollars more a pack thread!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
it's 12 am....
Just went to the local 24 hour store to buy smoke's....

Last Month i bought Marlboro brand for 2.79 a pack.

March they cost me 4.00$

April 1rst...Not a april fool's joke....As i cussed the lady at the 24 hour store...

6.45$ a pack.....I flat went ape on the woman....I know it wasn;t her fault..but dang it...
We are ADDICTED...do you understand this?

And to Tax us to the point of no return...in 2 Months...is Ungodly...

Give me a week i will be ready to protest!!!!!!!
With no Nicotine in my system it would be RED ALERT if i protested for at least a week.

Smoker's die 10 years faster than NON smoker's...
There is your pay back for all the sick smoker's....

Add up all the extra social security it gave you folk's....
Vs the Non smoker's Who drain a extra 10 years off the government....sickly and in need of alot of medical care as they get older.

So think on it folk's....this is taxation with out representation....

I knew it was coming and im still so mad i can bite bullet's!!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I bought a pack of marlboros, about 3 1/2 hours ago..i live in southwest CT, northeast coast..lat month, it wa abuot $545 wth tax.now its $6.45. SO! I guess i;ll find out in a few days, how much theyve gone up.
yEs, that is true..all this tax on a carcinogenic comodity. Ive lost both my parents, to lung cancer. They were in thier late 50's thats all. My fathers mother passed back in '89 lung cacer as well,, but she lived to be about 72.
If it wasnt for the nicotine being so damn mentally adictive..ide have quit WAY long ago.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Obama is a smoker you know. He was supposedly quiting during his campaign but he admitted on the air he had fell of the wagon a bit. When then hit with the a stern you know you can't smoke in the White House crap he got all nervous and promised he would not smoke in the White House. I think I saw that on CNN but I'm not sure anymore.

Remember Bill smoking cigars in the Oval Office while it was illegal.

Imagine for a moment you are the President. You are a smoker which is legal. Then you realize that the most powerful man on earth can not even have a cigarette in his own yard

[edit on 3/31/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

And to Unfairly Tax The LEGALLY addicted is wrong my friend.

We are addicted because they can not make it illegal.

But because we are addicted..it give's them the right to unfairly taxation us.

3 AND 4 4 dollar tax on 20 cigarette's is beyond insane.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A virus has potential to ruin computers, G20 isn't looking very pretty protest wise, CIGARETTES ARE FLYING HIGH ON PRICE.

This is the end of the world. When people quit smoking cigarettes, their going to get agitated, anxious. All the feelings you really get after quiting, and the economy is shi;;; as is, I can literally feel the last hair being put on the camels back.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

sum's it up .

he flat lied to us low to middle class american's who smoke.

www.youtube.com...

SIN tax......Obama you suck.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by TheAmused]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
TheAmused, i totaly agree with you..
I remember my very first ciggarette, it was a marolbor light. I tookd 3 drags off it, and man, my brain went numb and never had such a feeling of calmness.. I have coughed up black tar stuff in hte recent past; [
I smoke about a pack a day. They know its addictive, and are preying on smokers weaknesses. I mean, its easy to say, why not jsut quit? Aint that easy. Ive tried quiting 3 times in my life..logest i made it was 3 months..and god how those 3 motnhs, it was aweseom to smell real air again! I had started a relationship, with a woman who smoked; ( got me goin again.
For someone like me to quit smoking, for 3 weeks, i will have flu and bad allergy like symptoms..goind through withdrawl aint easy! BUt, at least for me, it would never be like this, if thier wasnt like 500 different chemcials used in making cancer sticks.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

$2.79 for a packet of smoke
we where paying that back in the 80's.

I get the privilege off paying between 11 and 13 Dollars (depending on where I go) for a packet of 25's.
I'm seeing more & more just how much the Australian people are truly getting screwed.......

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Really, OP. Don't take it out on the clerk. She didn't raise the taxes did she?

I wonder how high the price will be here in Kentucky.Smokers are going to get hit with a double whammy. Federal tax hike and state tax hike. Also alcohol taxes raised at the cash register on April 1 in Kentucky.

Next up? Maybe a "twinkie tax". Hmmmm........wonder what will be next. It seems the Kentucky government only goes for tax raises on special groups. Pretty soon they will have to resort to an increase in the ridiculous income tax here. Perhaps then the people of Kentucky will join together and say enough is enough.

Oh, wait. That will be awhile, I suppose. There's still dog food and cat food, fence taxes, fruit tree taxes, swimming taxes, AM radio taxes. Whew. I guess it could go on and on until it's time to raise the income tax.

As a side note, when I was in college about 15 years ago, and studying to be an accountant, I volunteered to do simple tax returns for poor people. I was new to Kentucky and didn't realize that even the poorest among us who work still have to give at least a little bit of our hard earned income. When a family that is too proud to seek out food stamps, but could be eligible for them is taxed on their small income, I believe this is too much.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Illuminottie2

I pay up to $15 for a pack of 20 at my uni.

What are you Americans complaining about?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Cat and dog food tax. You can only do that every once in a while.

If they were smart, they could start taxing taxes. Simple enough, no specifics, anything you pay for you pay a tax, then you pay a tax on the tax you just paid. Voters are happing because you didn't raise taxes you just made them.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I just don't understand how they can do this without providing some low cost aids to help people who need to quit because they can't afford to smoke.

When people who are addicted to nicotine stop smoking, they get very agitated. At least that was my experience when I quit over 10 years ago. My mom still smokes and every time she tries to quit she gets so irritable. This is going to affect people in a really bad way. It is very irresponsible to hike the cost beyond affordable, especially in this economy, without offering assistance with quitting. Nicorette is expensive as well. There should be a program in place to help folks quit.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
My husband is quitting today due to this very fact!

Come on everyone- I did it- so can you- just need to get over that 3 day hump

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
They (the federal and state govmts) like to pretend 'out loud' that it is to help 'fund' health care costs for treating smoking related illness.

Yea right,... just keep in mind that it also may be used to replace lost revenue from smokers that 'quit'.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Wow - all of your posts are so negative.

Why not take something positive out of this like:

"Hey, since smoking is so expensive now then it is another reason I should quit!"

In Australia, Packets of cigarettes have been at these "high" values you are all complaining about for several years now.

I quit smoking nearly 3 years ago and one of the reasons I quit was because it just cost too much~! $6 a day being wasted, burned up in smoke.

I now live in a country where I can buy a carton for the price you guys are paying for a single pack...and you know what - I have no desire to smoke. It is dirty, inconvenient, ruins tastebuds, stains teeth, a pain in the ass when you run out....and that's not even mentioning what it does to your lungs.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Alberta, Canada

smokes cost between 10-13 per pack for premium brand.

Hey, USA stop complaining already. At least that increase is going to help in some way, so they say.

I know back in 1995 Smokes here where $4.00 per pack.

Governments are taxing to help cover our universal health care, due to cancer and other smoking related diseases.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nifron
Hey, USA stop complaining already. At least that increase is going to help in some way, so they say.

Yeah, it's going to help someone get richer. Not sure who yet. We'll have to wait and see. I don't trust the extra tax money will be used for the good of the people, though.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Yahhh.
So much for "no new taxes on anyone making under 250k a year".
Are you now ready for the "except for". Smokers first, drinkers next, soon any people who don't live mandated "green" lifestyles and drive too far, eat too much, use too much healthcare, and even attempt to try to start a business.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
yes, people are addicted, so they must spend this to get the smokes, so when the xxxx hits the fan they will be not only penniless but ANGRY cos their off the smokes.

man, people who are off smokes for a few days are crazy!!

and yes, the governments want you to rIOT!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Marlboro lights: ¥320
Mild Seven: ¥270
Hope: ¥150 (packet of 10)

Come to Japan, my brothers and sisters! Bask in the plasma TV equipped smoking lounges at the airports and read the free magazines! Kick back with a beer at the pub and have a smoke, just like old times! Buy them from vending machines and smoke 'em at work!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join