It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick Sea Turtle Swims Right to Hospital Doorstep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Sick Sea Turtle Swims Right to Hospital Doorstep

That's right! Talk about a smart fella!

A sick sea turtle swims to the doorstep of the only place in the world that is licensed solely to treat turtles

Staff members at the hospital actually waited several hours before treating the turtle because they thought it may have just been lost when it showed up at the dock of the treatment center.

They almost didn't treat the 73 lb. turtle, then they checked him out and he had a bacterial infection!

I got a chuckle out of this, hope you do to!

www.nbcmiami.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This took place in the Florida Keys, maybe the human/dolphin/greys told him the way to the hospital.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Too funny. He should have dialed 911 except he only has flippers and no cell phone.

I like this part.

But the turtle stuck around, probably unaware of the Turtle Hospital's "no walk-ins" policy. Eventually, he was treated with meds and now has a new home in a blue tank until he's all better. No doubt, the hospital will get plenty of referrals from their new patient when he is back with his friends -- Michelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael.

I wonder if they asked him for insurance?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Terrific story! Thanks for sharing.
(read most of it through teary eyes...SHHH don't tell anyone)
So glad he was able to be helped. Hope he lives for many years to come.
And we call them dumb animals, shows us how ignorant we are.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think they might be from the same group as these little darlins'

Two immature green sea turtles have survived a mysterious illness that's killing sea turtles on Florida's northeast coast and are recuperating at the Clinic for Rehabilitation of Wildlife on Sanibel. CROW also has a subadult loggerhead that was rescued in the Gulf of Mexico off Tampa and is suffering from an unknown and probably unrelated illness.

More here -

visz.... rsoe.hu/alertmap /woalert_ read.php? cid=21091& lang=eng

[edit on 31-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I saw this story this am and actually called my Grandma to tell her, I just love this kind of good story.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Leave it to my fellow members to be able to flush up a thread!

LGM- Ninja's? I missed that when I read it, good eye.

Pyrytyes- Happy tears, I hope!

Spinkyboo-Mysterious illness...........Hmmmm.........Well at least now I don't have too worry about mods moving it out of the medical conspiracy forum!

I don't like it when the sea dwellers start getting sick, not good for us humans.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I know you have a soft spot for animals, Antar!

Thanks for posting.......

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

They almost didn't treat the 73 lb. turtle, then they checked him out and he had a
Blue Cross card in his wallet... therefore he was fully covered...

Hello InterestedAlways... As always an interesting subject...

Nice Story... Who says we're the smart ones?...

We do of course...."I'm more intelligent than you... NA NA nana na"

The intelligent ones are hiding from us and they should, look what we've done to the other intelligent species that we know of. Just because we can't communicate with them we call them animals and then its OK for them to be killed for sport or whatever. Not intelligence in my opinion...

S&F for You and the Turtle... Lets hope he's safe..

Peace and Love to all

**EDIT for My Lack of Politeness**

[edit on 31-3-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Leave it to my fellow members to be able to flush up a thread!

LGM- Ninja's? I missed that when I read it, good eye.

Pyrytyes- Happy tears, I hope!

Spinkyboo-Mysterious illness...........Hmmmm.........Well at least now I don't have too worry about mods moving it out of the medical conspiracy forum!

I don't like it when the sea dwellers start getting sick, not good for us humans.

Some chimps in Chicago zoo are also having this mysterious respiratory illness.
We know there is something up... don't we?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether

They almost didn't treat the 73 lb. turtle, then they checked him out and he had a
Blue Cross card in his wallet... therefore he was fully covered...

Boy is that the sad truth of it.

This is the best turtle story I've ever heard....

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Alltied~ Hello! No we aren't the smartest by far.

Spinky~ All I can say is Breathe deep while you can!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Just a thought, but perhaps this turtle had been treated there in the past since it's the only hospital like it in the world.

People do nothing but underestimate the abilities of the other creatures of the world. It's life, and life does nothing but break boundaries.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Just a thought, but perhaps this turtle had been treated there in the past since it's the only hospital like it in the world.

People do nothing but underestimate the abilities of the other creatures of the world. It's life, and life does nothing but break boundaries.

Now I'm more awake or just more sober
I will elaborate on my point.

A third, more technical notion of consciousness, access consciousness, has been introduced by Block (1995) to capture the sense in which mental representations may be poised for use in rational control of action or speech. This dispositional account of access consciousness — the idea that the representational content is available for other systems to use — is amended by Block (2005) to include an occurrent aspect in which the content is "broadcast" in a "global workspace" which is then available for higher cognitive processing tasks such as categorization, reasoning, planning, and voluntary direction of attention. Block believes that many animals possess access consciousness (speech is not a requirement). Indeed, some of the neurological evidence cited by Block (2005) in support of the global workspace is derived from monkeys. But clearly an author such as Descartes, who, we will see, denied speech, language, and rationality to animals, would also deny access consciousness to them. Those who follow Davidson (1975) in denying intentional states to animals would likely concur.
nimal Consciousness

So was this a random act by a random animal or was this a premeditated action buy a creature we underestimate?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Now, you've done it. Everyone knows, now, I'm just a big softie.

And I asked you not to tell ( sob, sob).

Such stories of critters do get to my emotional side, I'll admit, always have.
In this case, Yes, happy teary eyes... wish it were always...

Such is life...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
what a wonderful story. deep within i believe those treated previously have communicated w/each other. laugh if you want but that's the way i feel.

as always interestedalways you have brought me many happy moments!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I agtrr with the idea that he was treated there before andd came back. Due to the fact sea turtles may be pretty smart, i mean - they return to they're birth spot to give birth right? Or is taht something else.. lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Awww....
Makes me think maybe some of these creatures are far smarter than we think...
Or it could just be some crazy co-incidence that he landed at the hospital lol.....
I mean it's gotta happen sometime in history right?

Hehe....
Cute story, thanks for posting this!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
you deserve so much more, my friendl we now have yet another government control on "number of characters used." so i thought i would use them here.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
this is the best story ever and made my day

thanks OP!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join