It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uzbekistan's best kept secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Kampyr-Tepe, in southern Uzbekistan, was built at the time of Alexander the Great's empire and occupied for about 500 years until it fell into decline

The fortified city controlled a key route from central to south Asia

Since it was discovered, a generation ago, it has been closed to the public because it stands in a sensitive and tightly guarded military zone, right on the Afghan border.

The city perched on a high shelf of land - cut into clay walls that dropped sheer into the plains below.

Caught in the light of a winter afternoon, an entire city spread as far as we could see, the dun-coloured dust touched with gold.

It was here that Alexander raised his capital more than 2,000 years ago. This was the furthest conquest, then, of the Greeks in Asia.

Related Links
Kampyr-Tepe BBC
Buddhism
Alexander III of Macedon

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Very intresting, nice find
I would say there has to be, buried under the sands of time. Its been kept secret for a long time.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
unbelievable...to think those russians tanks rolling thru and just crushing everything.

I found this blurb at the bottom of the article fascinating:
"They left some very special papers," said our guide excitedly. "We found them in sealed jars."

"What did they say?" I asked.

"Oh they said that we too lived here."

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Uzbeki government is so stupid. I know. I came here from Uzbekistan. They lie about everything.

[Edited on 24-4-2004 by AD5673]

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Terrific find, se7en! Several years before 9/11 the Taliban had blown up some of the Buddhist statues in Afghanistan. I remember feeling so bad that no one would ever be able to appreciate these antiquities in person ever again. Let's hope that some sort of stability can come to the Uzbek region and this site be preserved, at least what's left of it.

You ever notice how the really wonderful things in the world are in the most dangerous places?

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

You ever notice how the really wonderful things in the world are in the most dangerous places?

it's because most of these places harbor religious radicals, it's really sad to say, how much religion can play a role in history, religious conflicts, religious discrimination, etc. it's all b.s. people need to get over themselves and their beliefs.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.niburu.nl...?articleID=13145

From the age of Alexander the Great to the Mongol conquest, Central Asia was a more important center of commerce and knowledge than Europe. The minarets, madrassehs, and mausoleums of Uzbekistan's beautiful cities (Samarkand, Bukhara, and Khiva) are part of the world's cultural heritage and hallmarks of a great medieval civilization. But the soil of this fascinating corner of Asia hides even more fascinating evidence of long-gone, mysterious civilizations.

In the future, archaeologists will discover many more fascinating objects in Uzbekistan. We may even learn the origin of the two-headed sphinx.

Thinking of all these wars and instability in middle east, is a good reason to prevent humans from understanding how IMPORTANT this land is...

...there are so many things to learn from there...
...and to unearthen...

...so stop the war, bring peace and accelerate the excavations!!!

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I would also mention Pravda as a link of information but i am afraid that this thread will lost credibility from someones...

Dragon

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
unbelievable...to think those russians tanks rolling thru and just crushing everything.

I found this blurb at the bottom of the article fascinating:
"They left some very special papers," said our guide excitedly. "We found them in sealed jars."

"What did they say?" I asked.

"Oh they said that we too lived here."

More unbelievable to think American tanks and daisy bombs. What a joke.

American raised Taliban and created all the chaos in Afghanistan and then American bombed them.

For centuries Afghanistan moeslems lived in peace and protected other religion artifact inland, for decades Taliban didn't destroyed any artifacts, till American betrayed them.

top topics

join