It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Huffington Post: Extraterrestrial Intelligence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Interesting Article posted on "The Huffington Post"

America has a fascination for extraterrestrials (ET). ET, the 1985 movie, was the most financially successful film of all time released to that point. Thirty-two years ago -- can you believe it was that long -- Steven Speilberg wrote and directed Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Monsters vs. Aliens, Knowing and The Race to Witch Mountain were #1 at the box office the past three weeks. These flicks have entertainment value, but what is the reality of extraterrestrial intelligence (ET) and flying saucers?

First how do Americans feel? Remember, 90% of us believe there is a God and the majority does not think it is responsible for global warming. There is a plethora of polls, but, in general, 60% feel there is ET life somewhere in the universe.

Are there UFOs? Absolutely, for any flying object that cannot be identified is by definition a UFO. However, what about flying saucers piloted by some extraterrestrial? Anywhere from one third to one half of Americans think they are real. In comparison, one half to three fourths believe in angels, yes, the kind with feathered wings. Religion is dominant in the USA.

Source:The Huffington Post -Click here to read more.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Typical pseudo skepticism.

He starts by acknowledging the age and vastness of the universe,
He asks what kind of energy could allow them to travel the vast distances ?
And then says it's best to remain rational and forget about being a "believer".

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It always astounds me how they come up these statistics. I'm an American, yet, I don't remember being asked this question by anybody. 60% of what? The 10 people in America they asked? I hate how they ask just a certain amount of people, and classify that as the majority of Americans.

Stats are lame when it comes to opinions like these.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT
It always astounds me how they come up these statistics. I'm an American, yet, I don't remember being asked this question by anybody. 60% of what? The 10 people in America they asked? I hate how they ask just a certain amount of people, and classify that as the majority of Americans.

Stats are lame when it comes to opinions like these.

have to agree with you there, for all the polls constantly going on, on every subject here in America, i find it strange that not one of my friends or family have ever been polled, and i have never seen or been addressed by a poll taker. so yeah, those numbers are very less then reliable.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
They don't need to ask everyone. Done properly, just questioning a few thousand people can give an accurate portayal of the whole population.
There is a science to it.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInfamousOne

Someone did not check their facts: ET was released in 1982. I saw it when it first came out. The article was OK, but not very informative.

new topics

top topics

join