It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The G20 protest thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Over the next few days, HUGE protests are planned in the UK.

I'm pretty sure most of the people attending will want it to go smoothly, a chance for them to voice their anger and frustration at the impending new world order and the myriad of problems that are facing our world right now... Everything from the economy crisis, to the problems facing free speech, the environment, the class struggle, the wars and everything else...

I very much doubt the MSM will cover such an issue with neutrality, as in previous cases such as the 'may day riots', much attention was placed on the minority of trouble makers..

BUT - I think this time, this is different. The Police are armed, the cameras are off, squats are being raided and there just seems to be something in the atmosphere that suggests this will be big. A huge police operation is in process (the biggest EVER in London and therefore the UK).

The banks are scared, they fear a huge anarchist assault. But is this just media spin, or will old-skool anarchists really come out and do it?

I am therefore creating this thread as a way of passing news and links amongst fellow ATS'ers, with the hope of showing exactly what may happen in the next few days.

--

Please share your views, opinions and most of all your links.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Either a lot or not much, I might even head over there myself in the next few days - I will certainly report back if I do.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think it's going to be on. There will be huge protests, and I'd be willing to bet it gets violent. Just how angry is the average person in the UK? I think we're about to find out.

I don't think the "anarchists" will play much of a role- except that they are likely to stir up trouble, and maybe kick things off. I don't think there are that many of those guys out there. But undoubtedly the MSM will focus on the anarchists- because anyone who is against TPTB is obviously an anarchist, or a terrorist, right?

[edit on 31-3-2009 by moonwilson]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonwilson
I don't think the "anarchists" will play much of a role- except that they are likely to stir up trouble, and maybe kick things off. I don't think there are that many of those guys out there. But undoubtedly the MSM will focus on the anarchists- because anyone who is against TPTB is obviously an anarchist, or a terrorist, right?
[edit on 31-3-2009 by moonwilson]

Indeed, judging from a few comments on the internet, i get the impression from some people that protestors and anarchists and terrorists all get lumped into the same bag. Which in my opinion is absolutely disgusting.... using the media as a form of mindcontrol over the masses.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I did post this elsewhere but it would seem silly not to duplicate it here as this is more appropriate.

Residents

Residents at the western end of the ExCeL estate will have difficulty accessing their homes, whether by vehicle or on foot, because of road closures at the site and also with searching and screening taking place. They will be required to carry two forms of identification/proof of address (one of which must be photographic) to gain entry through security cordons.

Residents in surrounding areas will not be required to carry ID unless they are planning to travel into the ExCeL estate for work.

Newham Council Website - News 25th March 2009

I don't really pay much attention to what happens in my borough. I was alerted to this by three work colleagues who live together. One will have to spend a few nights living elsewhere because he cannot satisfy the criteria required.

I move around a lot for my job so camera is at the ready. Unfortunately I think most time over the next few days will either be spent kicking my heels due to clients not placing orders, or being stuck in demo-related traffic.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wow so this is how they re-introduce the ID card system, under the cover of chaos.... So in actual fact some would argue the anarchists are being counter-productive in their push for freedom, but then you could say, it's not the anarchists, it's the law.... even normal citizens are now suspects.
So in actual fact the anarchists are figthing for their rights too... or are they?

It's crazy.

This quote seems appropriate.

"It turns out that an eerie type of chaos can lurk just behind a facade of order - and yet, deep inside the chaos lurks an even eerier type of order” Douglas Hostadter

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have friends who are going out to some of the protests. I hope no one is injured- I hope no one dies.

Unless it's a world leader. I can turn a blind eye to that.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I saw some snippets of the protests on TV. It looked like it could turn pretty nasty very quickly.

Also, they said bankers are being advised to 'dress down' when in transit, to do away with the 3 piece suit and instead wear jeans and T-shirts.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Hi Mr-Lizard. Thanks for bringing this to peoples attention... I made a statement in another thread that was declared a hoax and I'd like to paste it below because it relates to your subject...When confronting these groups remember.....

Remember to Love them all as human beings before seeing them standing in front of you as law enforcers. Talk to them and let them know that your using your right that this law enforcer is supposed to be enforcing. Let them know that you are fighting for the law enforcer's family too.
Speak to them and that might lessen any damage done towards one another. Besides you are all brothers and sisters.... Only some are wearing a garment that indicates a loyalty to their Country, and that country is you who are recognized as its citizenry.

Feel some love for the person standing on the OTHER side and realize that he may be the neighbor of one of the persons on your side. We are all on the same side but some of us don't understand that yet, this will come in time. Our police and military personnel live within our communities and are citizens also. While it is right to protest the need for calm and levelheadedness is a necessity. Provocateurs are always present at these events and this is an indication to me that they are at this one too. divide the masses is their idea, and the article is a clear indicator of their attempts to do this.

These police and military are told things that get them adrenalized, hyper, excited and anything that gets them in a rage. Talking to them could calm down a person who's been told that some protesters may throw gas at them or some other thing only mentioned to heighten their excitability.

Think love and that could help alot.... There is a time for fighting, but it should be on our terms and not with their instigation and baiting of the masses

Peace and Love to you all

IMHO
S&F for you MrLizard...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Also, they said bankers are being advised to 'dress down' when in transit, to do away with the 3 piece suit and instead wear jeans and T-shirts.

For "3-piece suit" please substitute with "uniform".

To be fair it will still be bloody obvious who they are. They won't be wearing hard hats and hi-vis jackets like they rest of the city workers. They won't be staring upward with cameras like regular tourists. They will be wearing "nice" casual clothing, maybe with "faux" wear-and-tear.

Seriously, they're gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

i hope executives where also advised not to drive their Lexus's, Merc, Jags etc.. I mean, if protesters are aiming just for guys in suits, most of the professional London is in trouble lol.

I am going to place my bet that the protests are a non-event and don't even draw much attention from media outlets. Of course, for the sake of the message, I hope I am very, very wrong.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

submedia.tv...
www.indymedia.org...
Independent media will not let you down!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thanks for those links...

Seems now the protestors have smashed the RBS and police have now boxed in many groups of protestors.

Office workers are waving money at the protestors from some buildings...

Protestors not allowed to leave the pens.

Tensions getting high.... Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Fox News is reporting on the protests.

An announcement this morning that that windows of RBS have been smashed.
Authorities said they were surprised by that one.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I believe this is an image of that happening.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I came across this little news about biden, this was reported just before the G20 meeting. He was in south America. Biden......what are you up to!!!.

The leaders attending the Progressive Governance Conference

All eyes on G20.

LINK

[edit on 1-4-2009 by tiso_us]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

You have to fix your links.

Neither one is working.

Re: sadisticwoman

I saw a live shot on TV of them smashing the windows. Huge windows!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well, here in America the rioting is being reported on regular MSM outlets.

The last I heard from SkyNews (what i can watch without an account) is that the police have contained everyone into pens and aren't letting anyone leave. The RBS building was vandalized, about 23 people have been arrested, there are injuries on both sides and sporadic scuffles with police.

According to the reporter it seems the cops are undergoing a shift change and they seem to think this is going to last quite a bit longer.

I'm going to be all over this topic for the next few days.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Here's a youtube of it.

Also, keep an eye on the #g20 twitter hashtag posts.
hashtags.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The links working for me...let me put it in text.

SANTIAGO, Chile (CNN) -- Five days before world leaders meet in England for the G-20 Summit, Vice President Joe Biden is attending a two-day conference in Chile that includes seven Latin American and European heads of state. Joe Biden is in Chile talking to Latin American and European leaders ahead of the G-20 meeting. Joe Biden is in Chile talking to Latin American and European leaders ahead of the G-20 meeting. The leaders attending the Progressive Governance Conference in the seaside resort city of Vina del Mar are Presidents Michelle Bachelet of Chile, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva of Brazil, Christina Fernandez de Kirchner of Argentina and Tabare Vasquez of Uruguay as well as Prime Ministers Gordon Brown of Britain, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero of Spain and Jens Stoltenberg of Norway. The conference is billed as "a vital opportunity for the center left's leading international figures to put forward a future vision for progressive politics, as an era defined by the neoliberal faith in laissez faire irrefutably comes to an end." Bachelet, Brown, Lula da Silva and Stoltenberg will address the gathering Friday night to speak about charting a progressive path in response to the global economic crisis. On Saturday, Biden and the seven heads of state will explore the financial crisis and environmental issues in a round table discussion, the Mercopress news agency reported. After the conference, Biden will travel to Costa Rica for meetings with President Oscar Arias and other Central American leaders. He is scheduled to return to Washington on Monday. President Bill Clinton started the conference in 1999. This year's gathering was organized by the Policy Network, an international think tank based in London, and the Chilean Instituto Igualdad. Separate from the conference, Clinton will meet Friday afternoon with Peruvian President Alan Garcia in Lima to sign an agreement between Peru's Health Ministry and the William J. Clinton Foundation, which is working on HIV/AIDS, climate change and other matters, the Andina news agency reported.

How's this.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join