It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to my Ears in Corn!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A friend of the family brought by 2 giant bags of fresh corn to my granny's...I ended up with 30 ears of corn for my family of 4. Besides corn on cob, boiled in a pot or on the grill....I have no clue as how else to cook them. My kids and hubby are not going to put up with corn on the cob every day for the next week or so. I just finished boiling 6 of them to eat with our chicken dinner, now....only 24 more to go!!!!

what else can I do and they all refuse to eat creamed corn!!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Do you have any dogs ?

From what I've seen on lawns and park grassy areas, not to mention beaches and campground areas, dogs seem to like corn

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Easy to make corn recipies.

www.basic-recipes.com...

I like this one best:

Grilled Corn with Garlic Dill Butter

1/2 cup of butter, softened
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill weed
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 fresh ears of corn, with husks

Stir together the first 3 ingredients, cover and chill for 8 hours. Remove the husks from corn. Grill corn, uncovered, on a lightly greased grill rack over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the corn is tender, turning occasionally. Serve with herbed butter.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
No dogs KayEm.....btw thanks for lovely image you just put into my head

Jonna nice link...some of those recipes might work except for the one with creamed corn (and these guys aint having that) looks like I will be shucking corn for a while.

but grilling and boiling looks to be my best options...just with different toppings.

[Edited on 4-21-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
No dogs KayEm.....btw thanks for lovely image you just put into my head

My pleasure

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Corn chowder. Make it the same way you would make a clam or fish chowder just substitute with corn. It's quite good.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
thanks intrepid, but corn chowder somehow doesn't sound appealing to me, I'll have to look up a recipe for it and see how it sounds..

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Secret ingredient identified......Thyme. It has to simmer to get the flavor.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's warm....break out the grill!
Brush a couple ears with butter and throw 'em on the grill along with your chicken. Let the corn grill until it's started to brown.
Scrape the kernels off the cob and mix with some diced tomatoes, lime juice & cilantro.
Serve over the grilled chicken.

Presto! Tex-Mex style chicken.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
tortillas (corn or flour but better with corn)
ground beef
chedder cheese and/or any other kind of cheese
tomatoes
corn
onion
and really anything else you want to put in there.

brown the ground beef first in a skillet, if you want you can toss the onions in there when you do. Add taco seasonings to taste.

Take tortillas put in backing dish or casserole dish and layer it like lasagna. My favorite way is cheese, beef, tomato, corn, cheese, tortilla then a thinner layer before another tortilla but you can layer to taste.

Bake untill all melty and gooey.

Serve with quacamole and sour cream salsa yadayada. Also something that good is avocado, corn, tomato, onion tossed with vinnegrette served chilled.

I believe food network website would have oodles of corn recipes for you.

Check corn souffle.

That's it, if I was vague (I'm a real fly by the seat cook) just send me a u2u or ask.

Happy Corning

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Try corn chowder, all it is is a mixture of water, milk, onion, corn, and a bit of flower to make it thicker...
my grandma gave me the recipe the other day, have yet to try it....

Also try goulash... It's a mix of hamburger, minced onion, corn, rice (thats optional) and worchestershire sauce... YOu could throw in some canjun mix, very small though... This is really yummy...

Also don't forget corn is high in starches, so don't eat too much at once! Also high in carbs if you care about that sort of thing...

Another good one is pasta primavera with corn....

You could make a shrimp concoction w/ corn, noodles, tomatoes, white or red pasta sauce, herbs, broccoli, celery and carrots (those two are optional)...

I don't know dude, play with it I guess...
24 husks of corn is alot of cob. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
great recipes all, much appreciated, I just did 4 ears on the grill with a herb butter rub.

does anyone know what's the best way to store fresh corn???

should they be refrigerated? or out?

I know corn sweats when in plastic, so right now they are in my potato basket and my potatoes are in the fruit basket and fruit is now in the fridge.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
"I know corn sweats when in plastic, so right now they are in my potato basket and my potatoes are in the fruit basket and fruit is now in the fridge."

OH MY GOD! WHERE'S THE BEER?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
well one is in my tummy and other is in the freezer

we normally don't keep the fridge stocked with beer.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
you keep beer in the freezer??
Is that workable???
Let me know cuz my fridge is outta room..I thought it would explode, i guess thats just vodka?

top topics

join