It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taskforce 121

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I know Taskforce 121 was called 'Greyfox' roughly this time last year when they were hunting old reigme members.. Does anyone know it's current name?
Also, I'd like to find out more about it, I currently know that it's a black ops hit-and-run/snatch squad, selected from the delta force (who are selected from the SEALs/etc who are in turn selected from.. blahblah
)

Anyone got any more hard facts? This is the one US SF group that I know of that I dont know much about.. Thanks

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I keep hearing little bits about them..so i had a little search on the name this is what i got,

Task Force 121, has been assembled from Army Delta Force members, Navy seals, and C.I.A. paramilitary operatives, with many additional personnel ordered to report by January. Its highest priority is the neutralization of the Baathist insurgents, by capture or assassination.

Source: www.tvset.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Theres a thread about "Greyfox" here on ATS somewhere. "Greyfox" worked along side SAS in Iraq

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Nod, I believe it's going to fill a role similar to that of the new SAS 5th Squadron, specifically Anti-terrorism in the middle east...
I THINK TF121 was set up specifically for use in Iraq/Afghanistan but I think it has roots stemming from the 1990 Gulf War.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I tried the search but it wasnt coming up...
I posted a bit ages ago about Greyfox... maybe 6 months ago when it was discussed on a channel 4 TV program...

Anyone know anything about selection for it, etc?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Nod, I believe it's going to fill a role similar to that of the new SAS 5th Squadron, specifically Anti-terrorism in the middle east...
I THINK TF121 was set up specifically for use in Iraq/Afghanistan but I think it has roots stemming from the 1990 Gulf War.

I have something you might like;

Task Force 121, the secret manhunting unit formed for the war on terrorism, is a blend of warriors, aviators, CIA officers and deep-cover intelligence collectors who nabbed Saddam Hussein and now hope to grab Osama bin Laden.
"This is tightening the sensor-to-shooter loop," said a senior defense official. "You have your own intelligence right with the guys who do the shooting and grabbing. All the information under one roof."
The Pentagon refuses to discuss the group's makeup. Its members in Afghanistan and Iraq avoid reporters. New information was obtained through interviews with knowledgeable defense officials.
Elements of 121 have moved from Iraq to Afghanistan for a U.S. spring offensive, named "Mountain Storm," against Taliban and al Qaeda fighters now reorganizing in Pakistan. If the flushing action pinpoints bin Laden, who is believed to be moving in Pakistan's lawless tribal areas, Task Force 121 would likely infiltrate the country and try to kill or capture the terrorist who orchestrated the September 11 attacks.
Task Force 121's composition includes four major elements:
�Grey Fox, a deep-cover organization based at Fort Belvoir in Northern Virginia. Members specialize in spying and intercepting communications. They carry hardware that can tap into electronic-eavesdropping satellites and that can splice fiber-optic cables.
Grey Fox maintains a fleet of aircraft at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. On occasion, members enter countries on "non-official cover" using assumed identities.
Created principally to combat international drug smugglers, Grey Fox has turned out to be the perfect unit for Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's demand for "actionable intelligence" to kill or capture al Qaeda operatives and other terrorists.
The Army once maintained Grey Fox, but after September 11 the Pentagon shifted direct control to Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) at Fort Bragg, N.C. Ultimately, Grey Fox reports to U.S. Special Operations Command in Tampa, Fla.
Although officials still refer to the intelligence unit as Grey Fox, a defense source said its code name was changed during the war on terrorism. The source asked that the new designation not be reported. Grey Fox has operated under a number of different code words. In the early 1990s, for example, it was called "Capacity Gear."
�JSOC: This is the headquarters for an elite 800-member group of Army Delta Force and Navy SEALs who specialize in counterterrorism. Left mostly on the shelf pre-September 11, JSOC is today the most active it has ever been.
JSOC was the bulk of Task Force 11 in Afghanistan that hunted bin Laden, Mullah Mohammed Omar and other high-value targets. It then reinvented itself as Task Force 121 in Iraq. Sources say it's likely the task force will take on a new designating number now that it is back in Afghanistan.

link

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
My old post on TF121:
Task Force 121.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Truly interesting..
Seems like it's taking a similar twist as the Spetsnaz in operation, e.g. You provide your own intelligence so if anything goes wrong it's your fault...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I heard TF121 is not exclusively american unit. There should be also another nations involved - don't know if this is temporary ( until bin Ladin is caught)or not. Basicaly the unit consists of special forces ( mostly delta, SAS - UK, Ausies, green barrets, maybee also FRENCH!!! ) plus inteligence personal (don't know if only CIA or also other national inteligence services).

Edit; sorry looks like seekeroff allready covered most of it.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by longbow]

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I wouldnt be surprised if they had foreigners in TF121, as they would be there by virtue of exchanges, frequently happening in Special Forces, but I doubt they would be there on a more permanent basis..

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

WASHINGTON � A new covert military team has been set up by top U.S. military commanders in the Middle East to hunt down Usama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and other wanted fugitives in the war on terror, Fox News confirmed Friday.

The classified team, which was first reported in The New York Times on Friday, is called "Task Force 121," and is a combination of Task Force 5 from Afghanistan and Task Force 20 in Iraq under one command. The goal is to streamline how U.S. forces are using information about "high-value targets" and to launch attacks against them.

Operations to root out Al Qaeda's top leaders in Afghanistan and the deposed Iraqi dictator will continue "24-7," one senior official told Fox News, but the combination of assets under one command umbrella provides a flexibility that was not available to commanders before. Operations could continue simultaneously in both countries with the force split, or a variety of task force assets may be allocated to Iraq or Afghanistan as intelligence points up an immediate need.

link

Task Force 121' has become one of the Pentagon's most highly classified and closely watched operations...developing..breaking...hard! They have now joined in the hunt for Saddam, Osama.

link

TF121 is highly secret stuff, i can hardly find anything on them.

found this, but its not in english, im going to try and get in translated

Link

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
can this be moved to RATs 'cause this is one of the most classfied subjects in the US government

TRANSLATED VERSION:

When the Americans were hunting the leaderships of the Al-Qaeda and of the Taleban in the Afeganist�o the Central Command formed a obscure TASK FORCES 11, formed for members of the SEALS of the Navy and the Force Delta. After some running time this force it was wasted. Some of its members had been transferred to Iraq, where they had served of nucleus of a new force, that received the name from TASK FORCES 20. Asked who hunting the staff of the Al-Qaeda and the Taleban, an American officer answered that?outras people are making this.

The TASK FORCES 20 is a highly private force, mainly formed for men of the Force Delta, Devgru (new denomination of SEAL Team 6) , elements of 160� TO SOUND (Special Operations Aviation Regiment paramilitary operators of the CIA, teams of the NSA Many of the operators of the TF20 are agents who had worked more recently previously disfar�ados of overseers of the ONU in Iraq in years 1990 and for Hans Blix.

The units of the Force Delta, Devgru and the paramilitary ones of the CIA (also known with Special Operation Group-(SOG ), they function as team of direct action. The staff of the CIA also gives a certainty elasticity due its ability to work with intelligence human being or "HUMINT", through its existing net of agents the Iraqian population. The CIA also operates the Predators in missions of espionage and attack in support to the TF20

Translated -its long and detailed

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
wow ! this is really kool stuff guys man imagine having a unit like this permanantly operatinal but not just US forces in it
very interesting

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
can this be moved to RATs 'cause this is one of the most classfied subjects in the US government

If it was one of the most classified subjects in the US gov't, you would not know a thing about it.

People who know of it would deny its exsistence
People in it would be assigned to fake assignments
The budget would not be accessable to the public
The people in it would not admit to it

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
hey mabye just not, not admiting is just a stratagy thier using pretty bad 1 but hey this is military command we're tlking about here

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Alternatively, consider the intimidation factor for the opponents knowing that the US government will publicly admit to having special forces out there with only one mission in mind-- Killing you.

Then you have to imagine what they think is out there that they DONT know about.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
TF121 "greyfox" didn't change names they were shutdown. From what I heard too much was exposed and they were at to much risk for running operations. All the former members were reattached to traditional SF units and redeployed. I don't think it was as highspeed and spooky as what you all make it out to be. It is kinda like playing the telephone game. You start out saying one thing to the first person by the time it gets to the last person its nothing like how it started. I think they were just a SF unit with one special mission.

Originally posted by infinite

I have something you might like;

Task Force 121, the secret manhunting unit formed for the war on terrorism, is a blend of warriors, aviators, CIA officers and deep-cover intelligence collectors who nabbed Saddam Hussein and now hope to grab Osama bin Laden.
"This is tightening the sensor-to-shooter loop," said a senior defense official. "You have your own intelligence right with the guys who do the shooting and grabbing. All the information under one roof."
The Pentagon refuses to discuss the group's makeup. Its members in Afghanistan and Iraq avoid reporters. New information was obtained through interviews with knowledgeable defense officials.
Elements of 121 have moved from Iraq to Afghanistan for a U.S. spring offensive, named "Mountain Storm," against Taliban and al Qaeda fighters now reorganizing in Pakistan. If the flushing action pinpoints bin Laden, who is believed to be moving in Pakistan's lawless tribal areas, Task Force 121 would likely infiltrate the country and try to kill or capture the terrorist who orchestrated the September 11 attacks.
Task Force 121's composition includes four major elements:
�Grey Fox, a deep-cover organization based at Fort Belvoir in Northern Virginia. Members specialize in spying and intercepting communications. They carry hardware that can tap into electronic-eavesdropping satellites and that can splice fiber-optic cables.
Grey Fox maintains a fleet of aircraft at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. On occasion, members enter countries on "non-official cover" using assumed identities.
Created principally to combat international drug smugglers, Grey Fox has turned out to be the perfect unit for Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's demand for "actionable intelligence" to kill or capture al Qaeda operatives and other terrorists.
The Army once maintained Grey Fox, but after September 11 the Pentagon shifted direct control to Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) at Fort Bragg, N.C. Ultimately, Grey Fox reports to U.S. Special Operations Command in Tampa, Fla.
Although officials still refer to the intelligence unit as Grey Fox, a defense source said its code name was changed during the war on terrorism. The source asked that the new designation not be reported. Grey Fox has operated under a number of different code words. In the early 1990s, for example, it was called "Capacity Gear."
�JSOC: This is the headquarters for an elite 800-member group of Army Delta Force and Navy SEALs who specialize in counterterrorism. Left mostly on the shelf pre-September 11, JSOC is today the most active it has ever been.
JSOC was the bulk of Task Force 11 in Afghanistan that hunted bin Laden, Mullah Mohammed Omar and other high-value targets. It then reinvented itself as Task Force 121 in Iraq. Sources say it's likely the task force will take on a new designating number now that it is back in Afghanistan.

link

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
they should create a unit like this but with every nation contributing and well be just like rainbow 6

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry to break the news to everyone but TF 121 "greyfox" was disbanned. it was too costly and relatively ineffective. All the other stuff is BS. They never had all the high speed James bond gadetry that was described in the other articles anyway. They were just a select few SF guys who were selected due to various backgounds to go out looking for the top 10 in the deck. All the rest was just hype. After the unit was disbanned they all (aroximately 100) went back to conventional SF units like 5th group and 7th group.

I just found this website last week and it amazes me how many military operation get blown way out of proportion.

Nitvizion
Poppin smoke.....

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

....selected from the delta force (who are selected from the SEALs/etc who are in turn selected from.. blahblah
)

Don't talk about # you know nothing about.

Your post shows ignorance. Please remedy this ignorance at your soonest possable conviencence.

Thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join