It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Threatens War Against Japan Over Missile

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonwilson
reply to post by ChrisF231

Agreed. I just did a little research on the North Korean Navy vs. the Japanese Defense Force. If the North Koreans want to have a go at the Japanese, it would be a slaughter. The Japanese have a more than 4:1 tonnage advantage vs. N. Korea. The best offensive ships the North Koreans have are short range missile patrol boats. The Japanese have multiple state-of-the-art Aegis missile destroyers. Those things are no joke- the North Koreans can't touch them.

Assume the entire Japanese naval defense force were on holiday, and decided to give the North Koreans a pass. The entire capacity of the North Korean amphibious fleet:

3000 troops
32 light tanks
150 amphibious hovercraft

To invade a country of 127 million? Good luck with that. They'd never make it past the beach.

exactly. the idea that North Korea is even a threat to anyone is a seriously flawed argument.

seems the only country making threats in this scenario is Japan.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I guess the korean war really is the forgotten war. I am reading a lot of posts likening the DPRK to a posturing wimp. Not so. North Korea is not to be taken lightly. When it started, Seoul was overrun in 2 days, and fell within the week.

From June 27th 1950 to July 27th 1953 the United states lost 54,229 troops and South Korea lost 227,800. This are KIAs, not including wounded which was nearly a Million more in the same timeframe. Thats hard and bloody war between some heavy hitters. 3 years, compare that to Iraq.

Now I know that was then and this is now but the DPRK focuses nearly all of it's resources into it's military. That and it's super secrative posture makes it very dangerous, add in an unstable leader and you've got a powderkeg.

I don't think they really mean to start a war but I truly don't think they are afraid to, they are fully capable of handling themselves.

We are used to the saber rattling, and it is to be expected to test the mettle of Obama, they pulled this same crap with Bush when he was new. I only hope it is posturing as before.

P.S. About the big payload. On the lighter side of this it Is possible that they really are just launching a satallite. especially as pointed out they like to keep everyone guessing, heres hoping.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
If there were ever a case to made for foreign occupation, this is it.

NK is just stirring the pot a little more than they did the last time.

Lets say they are not launching a satellite, but are actually developing a long range delivery system for a nuclear payload, as is suspected in many circles.

I ask then, what are they going to do with it? It's not like they'll be able to whip out the worlds largest nuclear arsenal and simultaneously obliterate all of their perceived enemies. I also ask, what are you going to accomplish by developing a missile that can reach Alaska? Do they think they can earn some "street credit" by nuking a few eskimos in Nome and not end up having their country turned into a crater by a far superior force? Do they think we're to preoccupied in Iraq to push a few buttons? They're rattling sabers at forces who could remove all evidence that they ever existed with a single submarine.

No. They're not that stupid. Which is why this situation merits serious consideration, and knee jerk reactions must be avoided at all costs. Even the mighty lion doesn't dare confront the elephant without a devious plan and a lot of backup.

So now, what's the plan, and who's the backup?

No not Nome, Anchorage, not only is it closer to NK but it has a population of over 400,000 (just under 2/3s of all of Alaska's population)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NateNute
This is where WW3 would start...millions would die...and the economy gets its much needed jump start.

What makes you think that we are already not engaged in a World War? We are currently contending with Afghanistan, Iraq, and to a limited extent Pakistan, Iran, Syria, and a multitude of Organizations the Entire Globe over.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldnslo

Also in the area may be the Ohio class SSBN/SSGN NP subs of which 18 were put into service. 4 Ohio class SSGN (guided missile) submarines were modified and carry a maximum of 154 Tomahawk Cruise missiles, each.

If that is not enough, each of the 14 Ohio SSBN's (Tridents) have a compliment of 24 Trident II (D5) SLBMs. Each SLBM (Sea Launched Ballistic Missile) warhead consists of 8 MIRV's, with a nominal yield of 50 kilotons, each. JUST ONE Ohio class SLBM sub can independently target 192 different locations, 50 kilotons each. (Hiroshima 12-15 KT).

Excellent point.
Flight time to North Korea is in minutes.
I Thank you for pointing out the real deterrent that lurks off the coast of Korea.

A reasonable expectation would be 3 Tridents in the neighborhood (because we can)

So for those that may have missed your point, I will just amplify your points.

The deterrent of just 3 Trident subs is:
462 Tomahawk Cruise missiles(4 of these could easily shut off the power to the N. Korean grid.)
576 separately targeted 50 kiloton thermonuclear warheads(indescribable devastation)

There is not enough land in N. Korea to unleash this level of annihilation without about a 70%overlap. (each city hit 7 times or so)

All of which could be delivered in the time it takes a cup off water to boil in your microwave!

China knows this, and will not provoke these dogs. This is the reason we have them.

Let the "dear leader" throw his toys out of his sandbox. It threatens no one.

Kinda like pointing a Howitzer at the neighbor kids house that threw a firecracker over your fence. That kid is going to get a whoopin' when Dad (China) gets home and finds out!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This launch is not to be taken lightly. And there is more to this than is being reported in the mainstream media because of the fear factor involved. This launch poses a potential threat to the world as a whole. These war games that we are holding with S Korea are not a coincidence. We are sending a strong message to N Korea that we have no reservations about a retaliatory strike against them if this missile isn't a satellite - but rather an EMP attack. And our government officials know of the potential threat these launches pose. There is also the thought that with these "innocent" launches by Iran and N Korea of satellites or whatever it is they're sending up there, that they may be setting us up for the "real thing" sometime in the near future. An EMP attack could come at anytime from anybody who launches a "supposed" satellite into space. Please read what Newt Gingrich has to say regarding this. For once I agree with him on something.

www.newsmax.com...

[edit on 31-3-2009 by F15-Pilot]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser

I guess the korean war really is the forgotten war. I am reading a lot of posts likening the DPRK to a posturing wimp. Not so. North Korea is not to be taken lightly. When it started, Seoul was overrun in 2 days, and fell within the week.

From June 27th 1950 to July 27th 1953 the United states lost 54,229 troops and South Korea lost 227,800. This are KIAs, not including wounded which was nearly a Million more in the same timeframe. Thats hard and bloody war between some heavy hitters. 3 years, compare that to Iraq.

Now I know that was then and this is now but the DPRK focuses nearly all of it's resources into it's military. That and it's super secrative posture makes it very dangerous, add in an unstable leader and you've got a powderkeg.

I don't think they really mean to start a war but I truly don't think they are afraid to, they are fully capable of handling themselves.

I fully agree with you that NO enemy is to be underestimated, especially not North Korea, and that is why I completely dismiss those individuals who somehow believe that we can allow for Kim Jong Il's MIL to both openly flaunt and develop such Weaponry, while we idly stand by doing nothing.

Two points which needs to be made in regards to the Korean War however, are that many of those individuals involved in the American side of the campaign were battle hardened, experience World War II Veterans, and, we did in fact Defeat the Communist Forces of what now constitutes the DPRK. The only reason anyone ever mentions us having "lost" the Korean War, is due to their naivety of the facts.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

let the powers that be try and handle this

TPTB most likely WANT this to escalate into a full blown war. I've come to believe that there will be a war between china and the US and an attack on Japan by North Korea would give the US an excuse to send troops into north korea. TPTB will handle the situation, but not in a constructive manner.

TheAssociate

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
How about NK launches this "rocket"[satellite] through Japan's airspace straight into geostationary orbit. Too high to be intercepted, NK has their missile/rocket and know they can deploy any re-entry vehicle in US, or at least a Taepodong 2 to hit Anchorage. So Japan either hits it right after boost phase, outside Japan's military "jurisdiction" or the rocket flies through their airspace but too high to intercept. What then?..Maybe then NK knows they can hit the US with prox 2 nukes...Dangerous science..

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here we are again, the US with all the technology to shoot down this missile. Yet, we won't do it. Instead we will let Japan do it if they have to.

Why can't we stand up and be the Superpower? Why don't we knock this thing down and tell North Korea that we will do it every time?

What are they going to do? Declare war on us?

That would last about 15 minutes and they won't have China and Russia to back them up this time.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
What I find most scary about all of this is the fact that everytime throughout history that the U.S. economy has tanked, it's saving grace has always been war...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
N.K threatening war on Japan is Terrorism, where's the war on terror???

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebluemoon
/quote]
Their cyber-warfare division is also top of the line. They have proven that by messing with the navigation systems around the world. Three or four years ago they messed with the GPS satelites and several aircraft in Europe crashed because their computers had false elevation information.

Could you provide a link to this? I have not heard about this but would really like to get some more information.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Asset1911

I'm hoping the same because it was scary as hell from what I remember. All I can recall is being with my unit somewhere in Korea in a fire fight in a town and the only other thing I can recall is hauling ass after realizing that they're bombing the area. Other than that it's really just the fact that it was one of the more realistic dreams I've had in a while. And it was scary as I said.

EDIT TO ADD:

Also, I noticed people comparing the forces of N Korea and Japan. There's another thing you have to remember: if N Korea brings the fight to Japan, there very well may be US intervention. I didn't realise until I got here just how many troops (Navy, Marine, Army and Air Force) that we have here in Japan. I would really hope that if Japan and N Korea go to war we would stay out of it, but the likelyhood of that is pretty slim. I don't like this AT ALL. Especially with this dream I've had. I don't think I've actually took threats like this to heart like I am now. I honestly think this could become another freakin' battle front for us. This sucks.

[edit on 0941 by Echo3Foxtrot]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

Well put, this is like a soap opera that has been running for the 1000th episode.

Can just imagine now up in NK land.... Kim Jong Il --- haaghh, (spit) we needa teacha that Obama son arrghh, big lesson, NO? -- make him arrgh think arrghh (spit) that we dee Korea arrghh, not a take arrgh the # from arrghh nobody!

I say bring it on, let Japan send them some overdue Kim Chee back across the border

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

There is no way that North Korea would be allowed to attack Japan without US intervention. North Korea is one of the main reasons we even have bases on Okinawa. We won't let Japan fight NK alone. Not a chance.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
I didn't realise until I got here just how many troops (Navy, Marine, Army and Air Force) that we have here in Japan. I would really hope that if Japan and N Korea go to war we would stay out of it, but the likelyhood of that is pretty slim.

There's a reason they used to call Japan the largest aircraft carrier in the world. There's still a massive US military presence here, possibly moreso than in any other country you're not currently at war with.

For what it's worth, the last time NK test fired a missile over Japan, it went pretty much directly over Misawa AB. Home of the 35th Fighter Wing, among others. I think there's about 6,000 US personnel stationed there.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

You're right. Which is why this pretty much has me a little worried. Hell, I know I'm gonna be part of this because I'm with what they call the "spear head" of PACCOM.

reply to post by vox2442

Yeah, I was born in Yokosuka on the naval base, but was too young to notice. Once I got to Okinawa in 2007 I was kind of amazed at just how many american troops are on that small island alone. Then I went to Sasebo and was pretty damn amazed.

The point I'm trying to make is that if N Korea gets the balls to wage war on Japan, it won't be in their best interest to do it. Not only will the Japanese Defense Forces give them one hell of a fight, but you got the US military who will be right there along side them. And having the more-realistic-than-I'm-used-to dream that I had, I got a bad feeling about just how much hot are N Korea is blowin' here.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Yeah. Because the NK had top-notch (for the time) equipment, (which they don't have anymore), took SK by surprise, (which they wouldn't now), and the US didn't have a plan for defence there, they had forgotten to include SK in their asia defence plans.

They wouldn't be able to overrun Seoul in 2 days. Near impossible. Obliterate it? Yes. Overrun it? No... maybe in 10 years when the US has fallen, there's no US troops in SK or Japan and the US have other things to do at home (like getting out of the worse depression ever) than to bother about a foreign country being invaded.

And even then. When we leave Asia for economic reasons, we'll probably give SK and Japan a few dozens nukes just in case.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips
The North Koreans have proven time and time again that they aren't a legitimate threat. Each and every time they've really rattled the sabre, it has been either to gain access to financial or material aid, keep their nation on the world radar, or to showcase a new weapons system that they intend to sell. The true weapons demonstrations are like a big, giant commercial for their wares open to any and all buyers. Kim Jong Il doesn't want war... he wants cash, stuff, and to be taken seriously, all while continuing to run the show the way he wants to. Japan's reaction only gives him what he truly desires. You can't ignore him, or he actually may become dangerous... if only in a child's temper tantrum kind of way; but you also can't feed the beast to this degree either.

a clear thinking ATS'er where have you been hiding?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join