It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living In The Moment {A guide to recreating your reality}

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
Tip #3. Forget about the future and start savoring the present.
We wonder why kids are happy all the time. They have the ability to live in the moment.

I have this theory...

Little kids are high. Idk if it has to do with the chemicals in their brain or using the same part of the brain or what, but being a little kid is so much like being extremely high in so many ways.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusInvictus

I think it has more to do with kids not behaving like adults. They don't have worries such as bills. the economy, providing for their family, and the idea that they have to be more successful than their neighbors to be happy. This is the American dream and it has been drilled into our heads. So you have people constantly thinking about what will in the future and all the times they have done wrong or been wronged in the past.

Kids have the ability to live for whats right in front of them. Have you ever seen kids around bubbles? Its not about being "high", as even adults can get high and worry about things the whole time they are. I have actually got higher on being in the moment than any drug Ive ever tried(seriously). Its about being able to appreciate your present situation, whatever you are doing, as if it is all a gift (which i believe it is.) Beauty is all around you and if you can look at it through the eyes of a child who has never seen it before, you are one step closer to enlightenment.

For kids, everything is new and they are still learning (how to walk, what certain things are that they have never seen before, different tastes, sounds, smells, how different objects feel, etc. Adults think they have it all figured out and that there is no more learning. Then the world becomes bland and depressing.

So as for being high, I know plenty of people who get there and worry a lot. If it works for some people, I'm not judging, as sometimes it helps people to appreciate the moment more. Being able to attain this state without inhaling anything is a gift in itself. Figuring that out will make you a much happier person in the long run.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by bringthelight]

[edit on 4-4-2009 by bringthelight]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm back. My wife and I made a short video you might like.

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusInvictus

Tip #3. Forget about the future and start savoring the present.
We wonder why kids are happy all the time. They have the ability to live in the moment.

I have this theory...

Little kids are high. Idk if it has to do with the chemicals in their brain or using the same part of the brain or what, but being a little kid is so much like being extremely high in so many ways.

It's mainly because kids don't deal with reality(past, present, OR future). They can imagine whatever they want, and things that don't exist make them more happy, afraid, and have more extreme emotions than we can have.

It has nothing to with them living in the now. It has to do with them living as if they are something else.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

Your telling me when a child licks a lollipop for the first time they aren't in the now? Imagine never having seen, smelt, or tasted a lollipop. You are intrigued by this shiny object on a stick that you have never seen before. It is handed to you and your first instinct is to put it into your mouth. As you do, there is an explosion of flavor that every ounce of your attention is focused on. Nothing in your world matters except your sense of taste at that moment. It is something new and exciting that you will never forget. There is no time, no bills, no worries. It is just you and the lollipop. Completely in the now.

There is a lot we can learn from kids. They have moments like these all the time and you can see it in their expressions. If we can all learn to experience every waking moment like the child with their first lollipop, the world would become a more simple and beautiful place.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

Thank you for the beautiful video
. The second pic with the star peeking out just behind the earth was my avatar for awhile...cool little synchronicity. I would love to have the technical skills to be able to put something like that together.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Bravo! You bring a needed truth to light. I have only read the very first post in this thread ad already I am in total agreement.

Well done!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thanks, i used the program Windows movie maker, wich is pretty easy.
I also composed the background music (for my wife). I used my synth and Cakewalk Creator 4 for recording purposes.
It's the first time i make a video with this program. I will make more in the future, with video clips and all.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Two funny comics I found on being mindful.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ead2a3bfa60.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7329b623e97.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am reading E.T's A New Earth and figured Is share a few sentences that really resonated with me.

He is talking about identifying the egos tricks to keep you blind to the fact that you are unconscious and says this;

"The act of recognition itself (of being unconscious), is one of the ways in which awakening happens. When you recognize unconsciousness in you, that which makes the recognition possible is the arising consciousness, is awakening."

Just the realization of unconsciousness brings a rising spark of awareness in you. I have found this to be very true and I am very excited to finish the book. Just thought I would share,,,enjoy

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Yes, awareness is the first step. You then, with rising consciousness, realize the game being played on your mind. If we were to be shown the extent of the manipulation, without being prepared, we'd go insane or we'd loose our spirit...
Thoughts are not our own (physicallly speaking of course)
Thoughts are used to test us in our emotivity, and to ultimately take us to consciousness, when the experience of the soul is sufficient.
When we are able to start integrating our energy (not being manipulated in any way), we are on the path to consciousness.
I have learned thru experience, that knowledge in not important, what is important is the here and now, the awareness, the understanding of our experiences and the rise of consciousness.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Your telling me when a child licks a lollipop for the first time they aren't in the now? Imagine never having seen, smelt, or tasted a lollipop. You are intrigued by this shiny object on a stick that you have never seen before. It is handed to you and your first instinct is to put it into your mouth. As you do, there is an explosion of flavor that every ounce of your attention is focused on. Nothing in your world matters except your sense of taste at that moment. It is something new and exciting that you will never forget. There is no time, no bills, no worries. It is just you and the lollipop. Completely in the now.

There is a lot we can learn from kids. They have moments like these all the time and you can see it in their expressions. If we can all learn to experience every waking moment like the child with their first lollipop, the world would become a more simple and beautiful place.

The first part is true. I forgot there was more than the imagination, as I lost much of it long ago.

There's also the ignorance/innocence factor that goes into it, though. They don't know what happens to their body when they eat the lollipop, they don't know how it's made, and they don't know how many living things may have possibly suffered or will suffer to make it.

Though I do agree people are too stressed in their lives about things that don't really matter, that is partly out of ignorance.

It still wouldn't solve any of the world's problems, it would only make us feel better. People would still be dying of starvation and disease, possibly more so, if we only lived in the moment. No new technology would come about, and existing technology could possibly degrade, causing systems that help people to fail. If people only lived in the moment, almost nobody would go to work.

Of course, there are varying degrees of living in the moment. I'm not entirely sure how much living in the moment you think is required, and I'm sure you think COMPLETELY forgetting about the past and the future is silly. Though I could be wrong.

Living in the moment can be a very beautiful thing, but it would also be a dangerous thing.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

At the risk of being trite and cliche, your posts inspired me to find solace in an old passage.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story..

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.

Of course: DESIDERATA

www.fleurdelis.com...

And regarding the sentiment expressed by your Avatar, I suggest you research the definition of insanity whereby one who repeats the same steps over and over expecting a different outcome etc. It could be beneficial. I invite you to embrace the virtuous wisdom shared by so many others on this thread.

FYI, I'm not one of those new age, tree-hugging fanaticals. At least not yet, but I'm working on it. Hopefully one day.

Big Love.........KK

[edit on 5-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.

Was I being loud or aggressive? Or was I being reasonable/rational? (I may have exaggerated the circumstances, though)

And regarding the sentiment expressed by your Avatar, I suggest you research the definition of insanity whereby one who repeats the same steps over and over expecting a different outcome etc. It could be beneficial.

Not entirely sure I know what you mean by this (though this post may sound a lot like what I already said
).
(It kind of sounds like meditation, doesn't it? lol)

I invite you to embrace the virtuous wisdom shared by so many others on this thread.

Oh, I already have done this. I already did some of the things some posters suggested BEFORE I read the thread. I'm not necessarily criticizing "living in the moment"; just the amount of time the OP suggested spent doing it (aka CONSTANTLY). I like spending time alone, looking at things at things and examining myself. I don't entirely know myself yet, and it doesn't help that my thoughts change every 3 seconds. Who am I if I'm not my thoughts or my actions (or inactions)?

If we make "mistakes" living in the moment, and we continue to live in the moment, we will forget the mistakes, and continue to do them. (Or, as bringthelight suggests, there are no bad
Think of a teenager. Realize they usually "live in the moment". Teenagers do stupid things, such as joyriding, skipping school, smoking, etc. because they are living in the moment, aka not thinking of the future. Drinking and driving is another example. (But, I guess being "free" has it's consequences, eh?)

FYI, I'm not one of those new age, tree-hugging fanaticals. At least not yet, but I'm working on it. Hopefully one day.

Neither am I (obviously). I have a friend who is pretty new age, and he does a lot of different things, and he's a cool, funny guy. He's also somewhat rich, allowing him to live that lifestyle quite easily. I, on the other hand, am not. He's definitely more into the spiritual side of the world than the physical side.

Big Love.........KK

Nothing but.

Please, anybody, show me a way I can know myself.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Im going to go out on a limb here and say based on your comments, you have not fully grasped the info that has been provided here. Do not take this as an insult because I was where you are about 2 years ago. I am going to try and help you understand what I am talking about.

I'm not necessarily criticizing "living in the moment"; just the amount of time the OP suggested spent doing it (aka CONSTANTLY). I like spending time alone, looking at things at things and examining myself. I don't entirely know myself yet, and it doesn't help that my thoughts change every 3 seconds. Who am I if I'm not my thoughts or my actions (or inactions)?

By living in the moment, I do not mean living without any consequences or goals for the future. No one I know is 100% in the now all of the time. Its ok that you spend time examining yourself, as its all part of your journey of discovery.

Just ask yourself, who is doing the examining? Is it the voice in your head that you hear most of the day? Is it constantly judging you based on your past actions and worrying about where you will be in the future? If so, you are basing your perceptions of your self on your ego. You might not accept this now, but you will eventually find it to be true.

You asked who am i if i am not my thoughts, my advice to you is observe those thoughts, with out attaching yourself to them. When you can do that you will find out who the real you is. You are the silent observer that resides above your computer like, ego based mind. you get caught up in thinking that you have no identity other than these thoughts but I can tell you from the bottom of my heart, that is not the truth. You are an eternal being that resides in this body and your mind has been programed since birth. You attach objects and labels to yourself but they are fleeting.

If we make "mistakes" living in the moment, and we continue to live in the moment, we will forget the mistakes, and continue to do them. (Or, as bringthelight suggests, there are no bad Think of a teenager. Realize they usually "live in the moment". Teenagers do stupid things, such as joyriding, skipping school, smoking, etc. because they are living in the moment, aka not thinking of the future. Drinking and driving is another example. (But, I guess being "free" has it's consequences, eh?)

I will start with the drinking and driving example. Let me say that i was a teenager not too long ago and I had no idea what the "now" was. Being in the now is about letting go of the ego. Drinking alcohol inflates the ego, a.k.a. drunk balls. It is your ego that says, "screw those guys they don't know what they are talking about, im taking my keys, i can drive."

Just because you are reckless and you don't care about consequences because your ego is so inflated, doesn't mean you are in the now. You have misinterpreted what I have been saying in this thread. Skipping school, smoking, and joyriding are not examples of being mindful. It is just reckless behavior because their brains have not developed a sense of consequence as seen here in this quote from a medical journal.

Although teens' brains are superior in some ways, they're distinctly immature in one key area. The last part of the brain to fully connect up—well past the teenage years—is the frontal lobe, which houses judgment, insight, dampening of emotions and impulse control. Since it isn't fully developed, there's a cognitive chasm between coming up with an idea and being able to decide if it's actually a good one. "This begins to explain why these smart little whippersnappers are so incredibly risk-taking and irrational," says Jensen. "These are people with very sharp brains, but they're not quite sure what to do with them." Interestingly, the faculty of insight—the ability to judge one's own actions and predict consequences—develops in the frontal lobe in stages: First as the ability to be objective and judge others' actions and later as subjective analysis and to be able to consistently think, 'If I do this, something bad might happen.' "It's fascinating that teens can see their friend about to do the wrong thing and say, 'Don't do that!,' whereas they can't yet recognize their own behavior as dangerous," says Jensen. "They really can—and should—act as each others' keepers."

Everyone goes through a big shift in their cognitive functions in their early 20's. It was only until I did that I was able to become the observer. I think working on it now could help ease the transition a little.

So you want a way to know yourself. Here is my advise to you. Become the observer. Find the place where you can watch your thoughts. Don't label or judge them. Once you find this place it will become easier to get back there. Learn to meditate, it helps immensely. When you can separate yourself from the constant stream of the ego, you will find the person you really are. You are a separate and distinct entity. You can still set goals for your future, just don't hinge your happiness on their outcome.

If you would like to chat privately or ask me any more questions please do. I feel you have confused some of the things I have said and I would like to help you understand.

BTL

[edit on 6-4-2009 by bringthelight]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The state of awareness in being a child!
Unconscious awareness…same as pet…this is why they are happy.
It is only when “you” after not being a child any more realize how much your mind as being “you” instead of your real self.
Dos any one understand what I mean?
This notion of living in the now is as false and misinterpreted as many other eastern philosophies.
The Wiseman tell you to live in the “now” as if the “now” is the plain of thoughtless awareness and not a time in space.

Kacou

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Im going to go out on a limb here and say based on your comments, you have not fully grasped the info that has been provided here. Do not take this as an insult because I was where you are about 2 years ago. I am going to [try and help you understand what I am talking about.

I don't take it as an insult, I honestly didn't grasp your info correctly. It's always better to get the real picture from the person then use your own thoughts to think of what they mean.
What I said in my post is what it sounded like to me, not what I thought you actually felt. Things always need better explaining, especially for humans.

By living in the moment, I do not mean living without any consequences or goals for the future.

So you do not mean living without the super-ego.

Just ask yourself, who is doing the examining? Is it the voice in your head that you hear most of the day? Is it constantly judging you based on your past actions and worrying about where you will be in the future? If so, you are basing your perceptions of your self on your ego. You might not accept this now, but you will eventually find it to be true.

So I am not my ego, I am my super-ego? Or am I a mixture of ego, super-ego, and id? Or am I something else?

Everyone goes through a big shift in their cognitive functions in their early 20's. It was only until I did that I was able to become the observer. I think working on it now could help ease the transition a little.

So you want a way to know yourself. Here is my advise to you. Become the observer. Find the place where you can watch your thoughts. Don't label or judge them. Once you find this place it will become easier to get back there. Learn to meditate, it helps immensely. When you can separate yourself from the constant stream of the ego, you will find the person you really are. You are a separate and distinct entity. You can still set goals for your future, just don't hinge your happiness on their outcome.

Ah, so I am supposed to be the observer, aka the super-ego (but without much of the judging)?

I don't think I judge myself on random thoughts, I do judge myself on my actions and persistent thoughts. Are persistent thoughts more representative of me than random thoughts?

I sort of have the problem odi_gid_niria has, but a less severe form of it.
I haven't seen anyone about it, as I act rather active and happy a good chunk of the time (aka my ego doesn't usually reflect my super-ego).
(Hmmm, it seems I haven't followed the advice given in this thread)
If you mixed my actions with my thoughts, you would call me manic depressive. The thing is, I control the mania largely (so I seem more interesting, one of the very few forms of lying I use), yet can't control the depression.
My brother is affected by depression, and has talked about killing himself. I couldn't imagine doing that.
I think of the way I have mistreated people (especially my friends), and I try to not act in that way. I have been an a**hole in the past (even when I thought I was a nice guy; that's one mistake most people look over), and I believe I will continue to sometimes act like one. By looking at the mistakes (at the time the actions were intentional) [they were mistakes (as opposed to accidents, accidents imply no one was at fault) and they HURT people], I can learn to not be what I was before.
What people have done to me is nothing to compared to what I've done to myself through my actions (and my inactions
), on an emotional level. I feel I can't just shrug it off, I feel I deserve the way I feel sometimes.

Others have derived untrue opinions about me through my inactions, as well.
The truth is I'm shy as #$%*. Even if I want something, and it can easily be gotten, I still can't ask for it. I have to get others to ask for me, or others ask of me things.
Like a couple of times in middle school (grade 6-8). A friend of mine was telling me ask a certain girl to the dance (she did this repeatedly), and I repeatedly said no. I liked the girl (somewhat, I liked her more before middle school), and I thought she didn't like me (even if I knew she liked me, I still wouldn't and can't be able to ask her, or anyone).
I wasn't saying no to going to the dances with the other girl, I was saying no to ASKING the girl to go with me. (I would have gladly gone if she had asked me)
I learned in grade 9 that she liked me. I didn't know what to think. I originally thought she only recently started to like me. By that time, she had fallen out of the sight of me. We hadn't talked or done anything with each other in years.
Her friend told me that she (the girl my friend told me to ask out) liked me. She (the friend) asked me if I liked her back. I had no answer at all. I didn't know what I thought of her at the time.
About 4 months later, I found out that she had liked me for seven years. I realized this was when I pretty much met her. This was a bigger shock than finding out she liked me. I saw things that showed me how she felt for the years that she liked me. I made her feel sad, ugly, and lonely, without me even realizing it.
By that time my mind was constantly on her (as it still is). I was obsessed with her (in a way). Then I found out she didn't really have feelings for me anymore, and she had a (online) boyfriend.
This completely crushed me. I became quite depressed after this incident (and am still).
About a month after learning she didn't have feelings for me anymore, I became HORRIBLY sick (also, my grandmother died, but that didn't phase me much). I had the symptoms of someone with whooping cough. I started having dry coughs, which led to me having a sore throat, which lead to coughing fits that would last five minutes, leaving me completely breathless. These coughing fits were so violent that I vomited after, even though my stomach would feel completely fine before the fits. I would also commonly get a nosebleed after each fit, adding insult to injury. This lasted roughly 6 weeks. I didn't see any of my friends, and it was over March Break.

It was the lowest point of my rather short life so far.

It was bad (don't tell me it wasn't), but it also helped me on the track to observe myself, which might help me greatly in the future.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

(Much of what I posted in this and my last post post has not been revealed to anyone, not even online or to my best friends)

I have been an early bloomer in many things, including love (I liked a girl when I was in preschool!).

Hopefully this also means I can soon become "enlightened", less teenager like, become the observer,etc., sooner than you say most people would.
I realize it won't just happen, it takes hard work and lots of time to be more mindful.

I can't deal with these thoughts very well, though.
I have turned to certain objects and substances [nothing severely "bad", just a certain illegal substance (please don't give me a warning
), good music, and copious amounts of soda pop (I dislike alcohol, and I've never been drunk)] to help me get happier, yet at the same time reveal things about myself I hadn't realized before.

Somehow things like Coca-Cola have heighten my senses, and allow me to think more clearly, more... mindful... than I would have before (or even with that certain illegal substance). Yet I also realize the physical implications of all that sugar, caffeine, and phosphoric acid, and can't rely on them to do those things.
That's one of the reasons I spend so much time on the internet, and generally like being alone.

(Is it bad when a sugar filled drink gives me more happiness and insight than most people in real life give? Maybe that's why I drink so much at school.)

People often fill me with anger, as most are rather annoying, including many of my friends and family. Yet I would almost never wish bad things upon these people. My anger mostly goes away with time and fantasies (who says violent movies, video games, and music CAUSE more violence?).

Please suggest some meditation techniques, I'm quite aware of the unconsciousness of much of my actions, and I already do the breathing exercise several times a day (the Coke helps me achieve this
).

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Hey FD sorry its taken a couple of days for me to respond. I feel the best and only thing I can do for you is to give you some meditation advice. I have read from many sources and found that external stimulants like the caffeine in your coke hinders you getting to an alpha or theta brain state. In order to get to these brain states you must be completely relaxed and that might be tough to do with a stimulant coursing through your veins.

Now since it has been working for you and you have convinced yourself that it is vital to your meditation success, I would suggest starting with it and then after a week or so, try it with out the caffeine and see if there is a difference.

As far as meditation methods, there are hundreds of paths out there. As you are a beginner to intermediate, I will suggest to you a guided meditation as it is what worked for me when I was starting out. Get a 20 min or so track that has you breathing through your chakras and putting awareness on your body. I say guided because your mind WILL wonder and the guide keeps you on track. I still do these once or twice a week to keep me on my game. If you can't find a good track or dont have the resources to buy one, u2u me and I will see if i can send you the one I use.

Try doing this 15 mins after you wake up for 10 - 20 mins and the same about an hour before you go to bed. The key is repetition. Try to do it everyday but dont judge yourself if you miss a day or two. If you can make yourself totally present for 1 min a day consider it a success!

As for all the girl problems and shyness, the only thing I can say to you is start looking inside rather than outside. I know it seems so real and you can label what happened as good or bad but you NEVER know. You are learning from what happened to you and thats all that matters. Through meditation you will begin to let go of all these harbored thoughts and feelings.

I actually had a thought pop into my mind out of nowhere when reading your thread so it must be for you. Is there anything in your life that you really enjoy doing? A hobby, maybe something creative? I suggest throwing yourself into it 100%. Use the meditation to tap into your creative powers that come from the higher you. Instead of putting all your energy into the people you have wronged and how shy you were in the past, use it for good and I guarantee you will surprise yourself. Even if you think your not good at anything, just think of anything that has given you a spark and GO FOR IT. You will surprise yourself and others and your confidence will grow and push the shyness aside.

Good luck and remember, don['t think too much!
BTL

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I just came across another great quote from ET's; A New Earth that really hit home with me and I would like to share.

He is talking about the roles we play everyday and going beyond that and being ourselves, Many people have forgotten how to be themselves and just end up playing another role in doing so.
"If you can be absolutely comfortable with not knowing who you are, then whats left is who you are---the Being behind the human, a field of pure potentiality rather than something that is already defined."

Now, we are constantly defining ourselves with the car we drive, the clothes we wear, our job, religion, belief system, etc. We buy things that agree with the image we have of ourselves. I studied marketing in college and thats how it all works. Marketers sell an image that agrees with you so you buy their product.

When you define yourself, you lock yourself in, leaving no room for growth. We are here to grow and evolve spiritually, once you can admit that you know nothing you are ready to learn. Less cleverness leaves room for bewilderment and who dosent want to be amazed in life?

[edit on 13-4-2009 by bringthelight]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join