It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living In The Moment {A guide to recreating your reality}

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

Thank you for the info! I found the tribe from Brazil to be fascinating. Its amazing when left undisturbed by outside influences, the variety of culture that forms.

As far as Zen quotes go, I always find myself coming back to this one;

There’s a Zen Master and a little boy and they live in a small village. One day the little boy gets a horse for his birthday, and all the villagers say, “Oh how wonderful!” The Zen Master says, “We’ll see.” A couple years later the boy falls off the horse and breaks his leg and all the villagers say, “Oh how terrible!” The Zen Master says, “We’ll see.” Then a war breaks out and all the village men have to go off and fight in the war, except the little boy because his leg is still messed up. All the villagers say, “Oh how wonderful!” The Zen Master says, “We’ll see.”

Philip Seymour Hoffman said this to Tom Hanks in Charlie Wilsons War and I always fin my self coming back to it when i feel like something unfortunate happened to me. We shouldn't label things as good or bad because the truth is, we never know what is good or bad for us. I just keep telling myself, the universe is a lot smarter than I am.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Am I exaggerating when I believe that 90% of our "problems" would naturally dissolve if we could just "sit and be" for 10 minutes a day...?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by odi_gid_niria

I can really relate to what you are saying, I have gone trough many of the same things as you have. I still am.

But I have in one way accepted it, it`s hard to explaine, but I sorta feel like I have some control over it now..

I have never taken any medication for it, I dont`t have a good feeling about that stuff, and have heard many bad storyes about it.

What I think has helped me, or at least not made med any worse, is that I have been meditating the last couple of years. And almost gotten addicted to it now, I just love it. I feel it has given me some peace of mind.

I have also realised that I really don`t have that mutch to worry about, compared to so many others that suffer around the world right now as we speak.

So, hang in there, it can only get better.

To the OP:
S&F from me.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Anom3]

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Anom3]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No exaggeration at all. My health teacher in high school used to dim the lights and put on a cd of whales singing in the background and walk us through body awareness from our toes to our heads. We always used to walk out of the class feeling uplifted and happy on a level that we have never felt. She never said it was called meditation and at the time I had no idea what it was or why it felt so good.

Imagine at school or at work people taking 10 min at the start and finish of their day to meditate. Could you imagine how different things would be?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
Imagine at school or at work people taking 10 min at the start and finish of their day to meditate. Could you imagine how different things would be?

I know how I feel from only 10 minutes of it so from that I conclude that its the prime basis for everything else...learning, health, success, happiness, whatever...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Am I exaggerating when I believe that 90% of our "problems" would naturally dissolve if we could just "sit and be" for 10 minutes a day...?

I am rather lazy, could I sit idle for 90 minutes? ( I'd settle for a 10% problem reduction.) What would not getting out of bed earn me?

I find that when I "react" to things irrationally and spur of the moment, I end up coming off as Barney Fife but If I take a while to think and analyze, more like Andy. ( 60's episodic TV show reference for all the whipper-snappers)

[joke mode = off]

“Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.” - Proverbs

Michael Tsarion:
"The universe is not going to shout its mysteries to you when you are desperate for answers.

You must quiet yourself and turn down the volume on your own internal conflicts and mental chatter, and you will find that the universe has been whispering divine truth to you all along."

Regards......KK

[edit to add 2nd quote]

[edit on 1-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
There is a real difference between reacting and responding. The former is based on allowing emotions and the weight of immediate circumstances to compel you to immediate action. The latter is based on a search first, for all the relevant information you might find, then a contemplative review of that, then an action even if it’s a decision to take no action based on what you have learned, studied, contemplated and decided.

We live in a reactionary world for the most part and not a responsive one. We live more as hunters and gatherers, than farmers and growers.

The reality is there is not a quantifiable amount of more things to distract us today than there were 100 years ago. There was an infinite amount of things to distract the mind from the here and now then, as there are an infinite amount of things to distract the mind from the here and now, now.

What has changed though radically, is those on demand notions, spurred by a reactionary mind set to a service oriented economy, and an on demand digital lifestyle.

100 years ago, people were not anywhere near as inclined to expect immediate gratification to their reactions. Today people think someone was incompetent or does not personally like them if they don’t receive immediate gratification to what they react too.

Life can be either incredibly complex or incredibly simple based on how and what a person reacts to, and how predisposed they are towards immediate gratification.

The simpler life becomes, the simpler life is, and the more tranquil, meaningful and peaceful as a result.

In Miami-Dade County, one of the most popular and arguably most controversial beaches in a system of hundreds of local beaches and parks is the legally nude beach at Haulover Park. What isn’t controversial about it though, is that despite being one of the most densely packed beaches in the County’s system, it year after year without fail, generates the least amount of 9-1-1 disturbances. The truth is naked people laying about in the sun have nothing left to really fight about, steal, or attack. They simply lay there in a natural place in a natural state, in a natural state of existence, celebrating the here and now, the warmth of the sun and the rush of a breeze, the splash and sounds of the water, the clouds and birds passing over head, generally not wishing for anything else or more, or to be anywhere else or have more. Of course to the rest of the world rushing around reacting to this and that, they are all just a bunch of perverts!

Successfully living in there here and now, typically requires too things. One is an ability to appreciate your unique here and now is a place you would much prefer to be than any other. It’s that contentment and acceptance that allows one to be content with what they have in fact chosen to accept. The other thing of course is to not wish for things beyond the here and now to the point that you covet them to such an extent that your mind and mind’s eye has left the here and now for it, while your body remains behind, rudderless to enjoy the experiences unfolding in the present.
I think the most dangerous difference between now and a 100 years ago, is the mass media’s power to trick people into manifesting a destiny through believing the future will unfold in the ways being advertized. Everyone who participates in that system, does become an unwitting coconspirator in projecting their thoughts and then subsequent actions that create self fulfilling prophecies that are proclaimed and then disseminated by others who are acutely aware that the majority of the people receiving those messages will react and not respond.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Tip #6. Meditation is your training for everyday life.
Becoming present and rising above your thoughts is a skill that is learned through meditation. Once you start meditating regularly, you become aware of what mindfulness feels like. You experience it in solitude in the morning or at night and your body becomes used to it. Once your brain is able to make an easy transition, meaning you can sit down and clear your thoughts relatively quickly, becoming aware during your hectic life becomes a lot easier.

In so few words, completely living in the now, is like being in a meditative state 24/7, or being able to hold the same frequency while your having a conversation with other people throughout your day. This is no easy feat. Consider your daily meditations your training for every day waking life. Learn to stay present through meditation and you will start becoming it during your day.

Namaste

[edit on 1-4-2009 by bringthelight]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WonderfulWorld
Sorry to burst in, but I just cannot relax when I read about those bailouts, robbing us, destroying our financial system. What do you recommend? To just forget about it? Not to worry about corrupt law makers? How can we 'live the moment' given the enormous troubles we face today?

[edit on 31-3-2009 by WonderfulWorld]

Hi,
For some time now we are meant to be finding our way into Equanimity, a state of awareness whre we can observe everything going on in the world around us yet not allow any of it to effect us.

This means to choose staying in calmness, centredness and relying on our own Counsel. At the same time, it will provide enough clarity to see what you can change by your efforts and what you should allow to continue to its natural conclusion.

Many people see this as being devoid of emotion, but it is not that. It is a step in self-mastery, one where we feel everything intensely yet choose our actions and responses.

One thing to understand is that what we observe going on will not continue forever. In fact, we are currently observing the downward slope of our cultures, which is a very natural thing. All cultures rise and fall, yet people think our's is different, that's fallacy number one. We must allow this to continue to its natural conclusion so that we can restructure what comes after, and for that we need complete clarity.

I hope this has answered your questions.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by odi_gid_niria

It really bothers me to see people suffering from depression when it's so unnecessary. I suffered from severe depression for years and was on antidepressants for 7 years until I found out it's the toxins in the food supply that causes depression. I changed my diet, got off the medication and the depression is gone. It only returns temporarily when I consume toxic food in a restaurant or at someone else's home.

Feel free to send me a message if you have questions or want details on how I cured my depression. I'm glad to help.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
WOW.
I completely loved that. Believe it or not but Ive been doing a lot of what you said.
A lot I just break down and forget everything. I feel something soft as if it was the first time ever and I love it. When you realize that anything can always be the first time its amazing.
If you forget everything its a beautiful sensation (at least to me).
Close your eyes and focus on your breath. Open them and look at the world. Look at all the colors. Its amazing.

Thank you for writing this :-)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Just wanted to thank you for the very in depth posting!

I have been doing many, if not all, of these things steadily for many years, despite being in the middle of a hellhole of thought, toxic food, and stagnant evolution. It has been trying, and at times I have fallen, but I have gotten right back up there and kept trudging to my own peace. you summed them up very nicely, while not shoving down any of your too personal thoughts down peoples throats.

I would like to say to other people reading this thread that these points are -not- the only way to reach your Nirvana or peace. Yes, they are some of the most common and most practiced, but some people find more peace in working out, or doing something physical instead of sitting down and meditating. Moving meditation is highly practiced, and just as old as silent and peaceful.

There are many simple, clean ways to steady your mind and detoxify it, along with your body. Just be safe be practical, and research!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is a lovely thread!!! Thank you ..Thank you...

Yes...taking the time for nothing at all, to drink a cup of tea and/or watch the air breathe makes for a healthier day. And it's not like shouting Stop and Let me off!!!
It is not being lazy, unproductive or despondent. Exactly the opposite......
There is a select musical piece that is played every morning on the classical station that I listen to at work, at precisely 10:30. Those around me know by now that I am to not be considered as present!!! I have turned this into a rite of daily life ....and embrace this with ardor....ahhhh, how wonderful the rest of the day is generally!!!

While doing this nothing, so much more is accomplished.

Peace...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Thanks a lot for posting this thread. I am definitely going to bookmark it and come back to it later after I get some rest.

THIS is the kind of information that I can relate to for once aside from all the slush posted here on ATS. The thing about how life is filled with "pop-up" ads so to speak makes a lot of sense and hits home.

I, myself, am pretty quiet and somewhat depressed in real life. Both my mind and body need time to heal after each day and I give in to that all the time. But, the problem is I'm not growing in any way. Mentally, physically (as in healthy) and spiritually.

Again, this is a good thread to start off at!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotfoot982
WOW.
I completely loved that. Believe it or not but Ive been doing a lot of what you said.
A lot I just break down and forget everything. I feel something soft as if it was the first time ever and I love it. When you realize that anything can always be the first time its amazing.
If you forget everything its a beautiful sensation (at least to me).
Close your eyes and focus on your breath. Open them and look at the world. Look at all the colors. Its amazing.

Thank you for writing this :-)

I am really glad that people are taking the ideas in this thread and using them in their own lives. I would ask that everyone who has had an experience like hotfoot, please share it in this thread. Actually hearing from other people, how these things have touched your lives, can be an immense help to others who are just getting started.

For one, just writing this thread has helped me to remain more in the now throughout the day. Anything you can do to keep awareness at the forefront of your mind helps. At one point I drew the Tibetan symbol for "ah" on my hand. It was very small, because I still had to go to work, but every time I saw that tiny symbol, I brought my attention to my breathing and body.

Another good point that was brought up is, do what works for you. There is a lot of information from me and other people in this thread. Don't take everything verbatim. Everyone is on their own path to discovery. When I read a book, I pick out certain lines that resonate with me and I know that deep down I was meant to read that line and it had meaning for me in my current path.

Only take in the information that resonates with you, the stuff that you feel deep down is true. Anything that sticks out to me, I write down. I read the Power of Now and had a couple of pages of selected passages I wrote down. Now, you can read that book and write down a page of completely different quotes. All that matters is what resonates with you.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Don't often post but I spend a lot of time reading on here and to the OP I'd like to add my opinion of what you're saying. I live my life realizing that every choice is a new beginning toward an end I ultimately want to get to. You should never choose contrary to something you want because you think it'll be 'safe' or because you think what you want is impossible. I lost 85 pounds in 11 months because I lived in every moment and made every decision based on an end goal, and the knowledge that what I wanted only took my mind's conviction to achieve.

This applies to everything not just my weight loss example. If you want to be happy, smile, you'll be happier the moment you do. Then start looking at the faces walking past you and notice they're probably not smiling, they're probably not happy. I guess the best thing to take away from this thread is that each of us is the master of our own world. Every choice you make that is predicated upon anything other than a conscious analysis on your part is a wasted opportunity. Every choice, even the seemingly insignificant ones go towards some goal or another. The question is are you aware of that and do you use it to your advantage as often as you can? I try to. I would say starred and flagged or whatever but i've been here for 5 years and regrettably don't know what that means lol

Edited to say that I find a bit of humor in the fact that you live in the Boston area because I myself live in Boston. I don't believe in coincidence.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Aero]

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Aero]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
For those of you who are willing to accept that our thoughts are creative but should not be judged as harshly as we do, I have found the words in this channeled information to be quite useful and comforting. I have been reading it voraciously and am at session 11. I wanted to share. Elias

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aero

I also do not believe in coincidences and Ive lived here all of my life (about 20 min west anyways). Im glad this line of thinking helped you with your weight loss. Being conscious of every decision you are making takes some work, especially when your dealing with some sort of addiction.

It recently helped me with smoking when I was able to feel where my urge was coming from. Certain things, such as finishing a meal or morning coffee, triggered my need to smoke. I was smoking by association, my body was saying, "hey you usually give me a chemical rush right after your done eating, where is it?" Catching myself and realizing where my desire was coming from helped me to cut back. I still have one now and then but its on my own terms (i like to think). Thanks to Obama raising the tax I doubt that I will be buying them anymore.

p.s. starred means clicking the little star outline at the top of each post if you like or agree with it and flagging is in the top left corner of the page ( little black rectangular box with a red and white checkered flag) and is a means of getting updates on the threads you really like when you are logged in. I believe you have to be logged in to flag threads.

Seagrass- I am interested in taking a look at those transcripts when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
BringTL I know you will like it and it will resonate with you. Especially the part about dreaming. Please do read when you get the chance.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin

In my work, especially within the past year or two, providing techniques to retrain ourselves to be in the now moment has been the overriding impetus, as my clients have all been living in the past, the future and in What If?

Over the years I've found some very simple methods to assist with our awakening to our own higher awareness... awareness being the key word here. One of these methods is for living in the now.

What we do in a session with a client, apart from counselling spiritually, is to remind them to be vigilant on their thoughts, to learn what thoughts are their's and what aren't.

The method offered is very simple, but it requires great stamina. I ask people to constantly bring their attention to whatever they are doing Now, for instance; if making a coffee, make yourself think of what you are doing..."I am now adding the coffee to the water", etc.

Interestingly, I find myself that I have/had to remind myself about every ten seconds or so to bring the attention to what I am doing. This makes it a pain in the butt type of method, but one that really does retrain the mind. Especially if we successfully do this for about 30 days so that we establish a new pattern of behaviour.

More importantly this process, among others, allows us to become the Master of our Actions as it bring us to more clarity in the moment so that we are no longer being reactionary to any impetus around us, but that we choose what our actions will be.

if you've read any of the 'Casteneda' books, with the character Don Juan...

you'll identify with the shamanic-warrior being reminded to conduct himself 'Impeccably'... sounds like your exercises

education.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AnSRwheXsSOeBlr1jPWp2H5wCssF

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join