It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celestia 3D Galaxy Viewer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Dunno how many people have seen this already, but a mate of mine sent me this link the other day.

www.shatters.net...

Download Celestia, and it allows you to zoom around the solar system and look at all the planets/moons/asteroids from any angle you wish. Even zoom out to many other stars in the Galaxy. You can look at the configuration of the system at any time in history/future and set how fast the time will pass. You can even set it to 'right now' and see what is going on around the place as we speak.

There are some very funky Add-Ons that you can download to play with also.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Kano]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is hours of entertaiment. thank for the link.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
*insert drool here*

THANK YOU KANO!!!

this is about as good as my starry night software, if not maybe a little better!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Uh oh...Now with this on top of ATS...I'm never going to get any work done again! Nice find, thanks for the link and give your friend a thumbs up from me!

jra

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
celestia is a fine program. been using it for a while now. I have voyager 1 and 2 added into mine as well as some of the probes orbiting Mars. Neat stuff for sure and it's a handy tool for reference

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Kano, my wife wanted me to tell you that she hates you for ensuring that she will never get me away from the computer again.

Like cmdrkeenkid said, it is a perfect companion for Starry Night. Thank you muchly.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
how do you actually add the add ons?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Just dump the first two into your Celestia/extras directory. The .zips just unzip in the Celestia directory.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Wow! Bravo! Good find!

Finally something I can explore the heavens with! w00t thanks Kano!

-wD

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
But I cant seem to get past the front page, anybody got ant ideas why ?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Hrm odd, try going straight to the download page:

www.shatters.net...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thank you SO much for this! This is SUCH a great program!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
hahaah, thats the greatest thing ever! I really wont ever get any work/homework done ever again! lol not like i ever do...thanks though

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Kano sent me the link last Friday when I was trippin' sack on Hawai'ian mushies. Imagine that. I already have about a million different galaxies added, some nebulas, even the space shuttle Atlantis. I love iit a lot, definately puts things in perspective. I'm about to start creating my own planets for other stars 'cause I've been cruising around the solar system so much it's gotten boring! lol.

DOWNLOAD THIS NOW!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
While I remember, the Celestia Motherlode is all up and running now it seems. A pile of add-ons in one place, save scrounging around for them all.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hi Kano!!

What a fantastic program - very many thanx for sharing this with us!!

Another great - and free - planetarium program - is Distant Suns SETI version - however, you *must* have SETI@home running in order to use it!! However, SETI@home for those who aren't aware of it?

Thanx again El Kano!!

E_T

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've used this program before. It's very nice.

BTW, I don't remember where it was but there should be somewhere add-on with lot of comets/asteroids... which got my PC to its knees when I tried it last time.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have set the new #celestia CHAT on the irc.freenode.net servers. Feel free to chat or just idle. Maybe soon, this link will show on the Celestia and Motherlode site as well...

See you there... (a little off-topic) and don't forget that SpaceShipOne should fly it's first 'X-Prize' attempt on Sept 29th >> visit #SpaceShipOne for updates, chat, and flight information. Will post another thread as the date approaches...

John B. -->Pandelirium
Moderator/OPs irc.freenode.net
#celestia, #cassini, #maestro, #pandelirium, #saturn, #mars, #SpaceShipOne, #MaximumPC, #roverware

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wow! Just wow! This is so cool. Im never goint to get away from my computer again

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I just downloaded this program and have to say it's great, definetly recommend for anyone interested in astronomy. I've heard google sky is out, but haven't seen it yet.

new topics

top topics

join