It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother is watching: surveillance box to track drivers is backed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Big Brother is watching: surveillance box to track drivers is backed

www.guardian.co.uk

The government is backing a project to install a "communication box" in new cars to track the whereabouts of drivers anywhere in Europe, the Guardian can reveal.

Under the proposals, vehicles will emit a constant "heartbeat" revealing their location, speed and direction of travel. The EU officials behind the plan believe it will significantly reduce road accidents, congestion and carbon emissions. A consortium of manufacturers has indicated that the router device could be installed in all new cars as early as 2013.

However, privacy campaigners warned last night that a European-wide car tracking system would create a system of almost total road surveillance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-3-2009 by dodgygeeza]

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Why am I no longer surprised by stories like this?

Where ever you might be, on holiday, out with your family, your car will be tracked to almost pinpoint accuracy. They tell us that it will not be mandatory. I'm sure that if we have another terrorist attack, it'll become just as mandatory as the new ID cards.

those involved in the project describe the UK as one of the main "state backers"

What a surprise! I'm sure that Home Secretary Jacqui Smith was heavily involved.

At a truly alarming rate the people of the UK are losing their rights to privacy, on an almost weekly basis. You hear the almost pathetic protests from the opposition parties about our civil liberties being eroded, but quickly falling back into line until the next major announcement from Big Brother.

I doubt the entirety of the population understand how little freedoms we now have. Quite simply we are sprinting into a police state that would have George Orwell doing back flips in his grave. I feel like the UK is beyond hope - "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." comes to mind.

Every phone call, every text message, every email in the UK being recorded and logged under new "anti-terrorism" laws. Soon to be introduced ID cards, DNA databases, and now your movement around the entirety of Europe will be tracked too.

Again, we are given an excuse that somehow by giving up our privacy we will benefit from being safer.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-3-2009 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm sure some people here from the UK will defend this, after all, they like being slaves to their precious queen.

God damn the queen!

More police state, disgusting, expected, UKish.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Lol, look it up, there are already plans a foot for this in the US and Canada, all under the guise of Carbon Taxing. we are all screwed, but nothing some tinfoil or metal cage won't fix.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I was going to make a comment about how you guys over in the UK are having your liberty taken away but then i remembered there trying to censor our internet here..

i hate how TPTB do this.. introduce something like this to help with something good but you knwo thats not the real motive and the power will nearly always be abused. The people of the UK need to stand up for your liberty, before you knwo it you will have non .

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Quite how it's going to reduce road accidents, congestion and carbon emissions, they don't say. Wonder why not? Could it be that it won't do these things?

Every opportunity to keep us all tracked and catalogued on government databases.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Don't buy a car with a GPS system installed. Buy a nice used car.

Until the day they install a GPS system in a license plate itself, there are ways to work around this crud!

Oh crud, look at what I have suggested, that will be next!

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I agree, Orwell would be doing back flips. All in the name of safety. Isnt everything any government does of late to make us all safer? Yet murder, rape, suicide, accidents continue to rise.

Ive written off the UK. Its too far gone now to turn back. While it was once a great nation, it has become nothing other than a testing ground for all of the BB tech that will eventually enslave us all.

Grab your gun and your can of beans and head out into the woods, its your only hope of any type of freedom 10 years from now.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
How will a monitor relaying your speed , direction and position reduce accidents and CO2 emissions?

This is just another attempt to watch you and if you go over the speed limit , they'll automatically slap you with a ticket, it's all just another way to stealthtax your a*se.

If they try to put one on my vehicle I'll just rip the f**ker off and send it to Downing street.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
So im not going to be buying a new car. Ill stick to the old ones, and if they want absolutely a box in all cars, tin foil baby, tin foil.

Seriously, these tracking and security companies in the US and elsewhere are anything but secure. And furthermoe, they hate our freedom. Its always obvious that those who claim to be your friend to sell you something, generally are not.

Plus private property. Cars are already put through an unjust form of unconstitutional taxation with tabs etc..Many might argue we need to track people as a former friend said to me. I disagreed and told him to get nanny state *******. HAIL AMERICAN PERSONAL LIBERTY, IT WILL KICK THE ARSE OF ALL OPPRESSORS AND ZEALOUTS BENT ON A BENDER AGAINST OTHERS, WHEN THEY SHOULD BEND THEMSELVES.

Track this: Middle Finger.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Anyone getting the feeling that the net is indeed tightening, its getting to be more and more like a prison planet, I am suprise we can all breath oxygen so easily

I feel immensely sorry for the next generation.

Excellent thread starred and flagged

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is another scam to increase the cost of cars and help out the auto industry.

Here in america, if we really want to make highways safer we should make DUI and speeding 20+ over the limit, felonies with automatic loss of DL for at least a year.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
George Orwell is probably rolling in his grave right now.

Second line

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
So im not going to be buying a new car. Ill stick to the old ones, and if they want absolutely a box in all cars, tin foil baby, tin foil.

They're already working on a solution to people not buying new cars. They're doing it under the guise of enviromental issues. They're trying to pass legislation to stop the sale of old cars, parts from auto wreckers, etc, and in return they'll give us a nice $10,000 credit towards a brand new "enviromentally friendly" vehicle, lol like i could afford a brand new car even with a $10,000 credit.

My oldest son drives a tow truck for an auto wreckers and he came home last month and showed me the paper that his boss handed out talking about the legislation they're trying to pass.

I still don't understand how a tracking device is going to reduce accidents.

top topics

join