It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wrong or right? (Told not to do something in school)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

So the lesson here is attack Christianity, that's PC, but don't attack Muslims. huh. Interesting. :shk:

Yeah, pretty much the way I see it too. Nothing pro Christian or anti-islamic. The reverse, however seems to be okay. For a religion who's bent on world domination and mass genocide, they seem very sensitive.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
This is foolish. I say do whatever you want. The teacher can't stop you.

Correct. However she is the one grading you.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

After designing the label I was told by my teacher to "pick a new idea."

theres a thing called "christianity" and its followers are "christians", these "christians" are not going to like the fact that your mocking their main figure head are they?

see, my first post on this thread states that he's design was clearly mocking christianity.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
For a religion who's bent on world domination and mass genocide, they seem very sensitive.

Your post isn't clear. Are you refering to Christians or Muslims?

(I think you could make a good argument for either, that's why I'm asking.)

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
you could call it "holy water: Every last drop guaranteed blessed" or something like that...thats not really a specific religion that it would be poking fun at or something...but why not just go along with the project and get a good grade? heh

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Here is the image I am using for jesus on the logo
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Here is the rough draft

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Cutwolf]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
lol You might have Silent Bob coming after you for copyright infringement!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
Here is the image I am using for jesus on the logo
Here is the rough draft

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Cutwolf]

I don't see anything outrageous about that design. Sometimes, though, it's good to know when to fight and when to give in. Despite my earlier comments urging you on, you might want to consider picking something less controversial (but still just as funny). If you do that, be sure to let your teacher know that he/she owes you a favor for sparing them the headache of dealing with the drama that would've ensued had you gone ahead with your original idea. Might be worth it.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Although I frown on the "jesus juice" idea, I think you should go for it if you really want to. Its freedom of speech and religion. Theres not a thing your teacher can do about it. And if your project is done well, theres no way she can fail you because she disagrees with it religiously. Shake things up.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Your teacher is a wanker. Mostly likely a fundie as well, judging by his reaction.

Schools are supposed to be objective, non-religious affiliated places. Seperation of church and state and all that.

I would have been like "I can't use this label because I might offend the Xtians ?, Ok...I'll wear all my pentagrams to school tomorrow and when you try to tell me I can't because pentagrams are offensive to Xtians, then I'll sue you for attempting to stop me expressing my religion which is in the constitution..etc etc"

I'm so sick of "Ohhhh...must not offend the Xtians" but do they give other religions equal status ? Of course not. Their way is the only way. # 'em and the horses they rode in on.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
I'm so sick of "Ohhhh...must not offend the Xtians" but do they give other religions equal status ? Of course not. Their way is the only way. # 'em and the horses they rode in on.

You poor poor bigot. Lumping an entire group together as having one mind, one behavior, and one opinion is not only sad, it shows just how many "Xtians" you know. Afraid to even say the word Christ in any format :shk:

As I said before, though I may disagree with what you say, I will defend your right to say it to the death. If you bothered to read through the post, you would have noticed his most staunch supporter was myself. A Christian. Obviously, look at my avatar and look at my signature. But no, let's just stick to the biggotry. Keep thinking "All you people are alike" and you will miss out on a lot of the world and a lot of people who could become good friends. Oh well, your loss, not mine.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think you should look at your own motivation for picking that subject as a project. It sounds to me like you picked it for the potential controversy it would cause rather than any creative reasons. Add to that the fact that you are using as a logo someone elses artwork/intellectual property (Dogma, Kevin Smith), it takes you even farther from the creative realm.

You can talk about religion on your own time. When you are in class in school, that isn't your time. You are on society's time in a place that society has provided. You are supposed to be preparing yourself to fill a functional role within that society, not poking fun, however minimal, at specific religous beliefs. If every single person in that school shared your beliefs, that would be one thing, but you have already said that's not the case.

Religion is and should be an absolute no no for schools, but that is the subject of another topic. You teacher is correct in instructing you to pick something else.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

You poor poor bigot. Lumping an entire group together as having one mind, one behavior, and one opinion is not only sad, it shows just how many "Xtians" you know. Afraid to even say the word Christ in any format :shk:

As I said before, though I may disagree with what you say, I will defend your right to say it to the death. If you bothered to read through the post, you would have noticed his most staunch supporter was myself. A Christian. Obviously, look at my avatar and look at my signature. But no, let's just stick to the biggotry. Keep thinking "All you people are alike" and you will miss out on a lot of the world and a lot of people who could become good friends. Oh well, your loss, not mine.

Excuse me ???? I did read the post in it's entirety and quite frankly resent being labeled a bigot simply because I'm sick of the religious rights trying to force their views down everyones throats. I said the "religious rights" I didn't say each and every individual person who calls himself a Christian (see ? I can say it).

Let's turn the tables a little, Jungle Jake...tell me, what do you think truthfully of Pagans, Wiccans, etc etc ? I bet you are taught that we are all baby killers and horrid evil demonic things, are you not ? Well, if you are and you buy into it, then I submit that you are indeed the bigot, not I, and that YOU are the one who is cutting out potential friends from your life.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Im using the Dogma image, correct. However, this is a school project.

Also, I must reiterate the fact that the TEACHERS are not judging the project. The students in the other class determine the winner. If you knew anything about high school and high school student mentality, you know they would definitely vote for the more controversial, "out there" idea rather than the straight forward "professional" idea.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I do not read "Religious Right" there...I read "Xtians"...

Let's turn the tables a little, Jungle Jake...tell me, what do you think truthfully of Pagans, Wiccans, etc etc ? I bet you are taught that we are all baby killers and horrid evil demonic things, are you not ? Well, if you are and you buy into it, then I submit that you are indeed the bigot, not I, and that YOU are the one who is cutting out potential friends from your life.

More bigotry. Because I'm a Christian, I have these views. Well, sorry, not the case. Here at work I have a friend who is very obviously a pagan, she says so, tells us about the equinox celebrations, celebrations to the moon. She wears a pentagram. She has dragons and pagan icons all over the place on her desk. She practices magic. She's a friend.

My aunt, Terry, who took the name Tiyi after an Egyptian God or Spirit (I can't remember which) is a dear aunt to me. We have long, intelectual conversations every time she is in town, or when I go to Michigan to talk with her.

On another note, I was not raised Christian. My father was Christian, my mother a fortune teller. She used terrot, animal cards, astrology, etc. If you want an idea of which I connected with, check out the thread "Seeds of Homosexuality". It was not until 3 years ago (I'm 25) that I came to Christ, after a lot of research into many religions and a lot of soul searching. Before I was an evangelical athiest. Now I'm an evangelical Christian. I have to say, a lot of people were a lot happier to hear me profess no God then True God...I was a lot less convincing back then.

EDIT: Both of them read this website, too. Convinced them to check it out, as long as they clicked on the google ads
Joy is thinking about becoming a member, too. I'd have a lot of explaining to do if these were lies or exagerations.

[Edited on 4-21-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't consider it bigotry to ask you fair question.

Fine. You've proved yourself different then the majority of Christians I have come across ok ? I don't think it's bigotry or even generalization to say that most of the Christians I've met have acted the way I've described in my previous posts. It's simply the truth as I've seen it.

Hey, if you and your group want me and other pagans to feel differently, then start treating us as a whole differently. Or have you forgotten, Christianity as a whole was responsible for the burning times/inquisition, which tortured a lot of my sisters, and those they simply THOUGHT to be witches.

But please, you don't know me, you don't know my life experiences with Christians (And I'm really sorry that most of them have been bad and led me to feel the way I do, I wasn't born simply pissed off at Christians you know, THINGS HAPPEN to make a person feel as they do), so please don't call me a bigot again.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Cutwolf I like your project and I'm a christian.

Possible slogan:
Jesus Juice - Miracle in a Bottle, makes the dead come to life (Lazarus). Drink for your Salvation!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think it might possibly classed as racism I like the slogan maybe just tweak the name a bit to i dotn know hummmmmmmmmm....................................

"water of the Gods" keep the slogan and if he says that not acceptable, ask him if he is religious if he answers yes then say that water of the Gods is rain God created the world so God created water and yes that right in the long run rain

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lizado
I think it might possibly classed as racism I like the slogan maybe just tweak the name a bit to i dotn know hummmmmmmmmm....................................

How could "Jesus Juice" classify as racist ?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hahahahahaha!! Wow... that's really funny. Slightly blasphemous, but funny.

Maybe your teacher was just worried about offending others in the class. And also, is it a public school? If the school board saw it, they might get mad at the teacher for the whole separation of church and state.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join