It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning Hugs at School

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Seems like this would only create rebels. I guess maybe that's what some of the people with clout want. "See, these kids are overly rebellious. Send them to the counselor, so they can be medicated." I don't know who exactly is behind something like this, but it stinks.

Your kids grow up watching a purple dinosaur hug everyone, now the school system says you can't do that. I may just go back to school and run naked through the halls, giving everyone a high-fives. Hugs for everyone!

If you think you are going to get away with banning affection, you can kiss mine and the American people's @$$.

Honestly, I can't believe I just had to say something like that. Seriously, how insane do you have to be to come up with laws like this? My god, have these people ever stolen a kiss from someone out by the lockers, when they were in school? Didn't they ever enjoy the warmth of a hug?

Troy

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
As someone who works in a school district I have to say there is a very fine line between playful hugging and crossing the line. We have also taught our children that if they have an issue, to blow it up. I have had 3 middle schoolers accuse other children of sexual harrassment this year over hugs, etc.

Unfortunately, this situation has been created, now it must be dealt with.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There are numerous religions that disallowing touching between genders.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Alright, since i am the one in the" you go to school to learn not for a fashion show" camp. i tend to agree with most regulations.

I think that schools is not the place for pda. Especially middle school.

Kids are over sexualized these days so I think that teaching them a little distance is a good thing.

Do you really want your kid to have the ability to make out on school grounds?

that being said, here comes my BUT.....

school is a hard place to be and a very awkward age, and I think kids have emotional breakdowns and need a "hug" and I hope they are not banning those. Someoen crying because they got an F or their friend dissed them.

just the boyfriend/girlfrient type hugs.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I didn't think we still had Nazi's running the schools?

Hmm, ohh well I guess it was too good to be true. Well it's a good thing we had "No Child Left Behind" to pick up the slack eh?

On a serious note, this is ridiculous, I would love for my children's school to tell me that my son can't hug his sister on the playground when she visits from the highschool wing.

What is the world coming to these days. More and more we are teaching our children to be robots for 8 hours a day. They said years ago that violent television and video games has desensitized our children from violence.

Now I believe they are trying to do the same with their emotions, and truly trying to take away from their childhoods. More and more I see children being indoctrinated into an "adult" lifestyle, and it's being taught at younger and younger stages of their education every year.

It's simply sad that today's children cannot go out and be children at the one place where they learn what proper socializing is and how to handle difficult situations.

And how do they think this will help the children who do not communicate well with others? This isn't going to help them become more extroverted or even encourage them to put them selves out there. It promotes the exact opposite: Seclusion and automation.

Very sad...and quite frightening.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I think people who are concerned about PDA are seriously insecure.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't remember there being an specific rules about PDA (and I went to a Catholic school) we were however allowed to hug and hold hands. I recall on several class trips, and breaks, the paired up people holding hands or hugging. In class however, I'm pretty sure all of us kept our hands to ourselves. Self control, it's all about self control.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Heaven forbid people would show affection for each other. I'm ashamed of those people who love each other.

Now, obviously, there should be limits to displays of affection. Getting freaky in the hall way is going to far. I kissed on my girlfriends in high school, as far as I know no one was damaged as a result.

And, yes, sex isn't something you necessarily need young kids partaking in. Educate them.

Troy

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
And everybody wonders why there's in increase in school shootings. The kids are treated like friggin prisoners.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I live in CT..a ways away from that city though. Stupid, so thier banning interaction with others, which is what we do on a daily basis... God forbid we get lectured for shaking someones hand as a freind. In fact, i could that happening..handshakes are a comodity, reserved ONLY for business executives and CEO's lol.
Gee, i got my first kiss on my cheek, when i was in kindergarten or 1st grade. I still remember it too..red hed girl named stephanie, she kinda dressed like strawberry shortcake. She approached me, asked me if i wa her friend, i said, yeah i guess, and she leaned over my desk and kissed me on my cheek, then went back to playing.
And thats an offense?

Thats flipping romantic! Thats exactly what gives our kids self confidence. Our girls should be allowed to kiss our boys as friends geeze its not fooling around!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The point is, when things like this happen, and its so obviously not within their jurisdiction to dictate this kind of thing at all, also very poor example to set for students, to teach them to obey authority, rather than question it and believe it answers to you. I teach my children that all the time. Its a very bad role model and a very bad thing for people to let slide each and every new control "they" think they're entitled to make over their collective bosses (thats us) head.
Like get real. NO! Not happening. They answer to me, and my children.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

then of course there's the problem of teaching this to special needs children (they do it in Kindegarden here) who dont' quite grasp the concept and when a prent even goes to check a boo-boo they flip out.

There has to be a line drawn as to how to teach this without upsetting kids that may not exactly get it the concepts, right now, it's a blanket "policy"

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Double
[edit on 31-3-2009 by vkey08]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join