It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning Hugs at School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Banning Hugs at School

parenting.blogs.nytimes.com

We teach our children “Good Touch/Bad Touch.” Now preteens in Milford, Conn. are learning “No Touch.”

Local news there reported this weekend that parents at the East Shore Middle School received a letter from Principal Catherine Williams, which said that any touching at all on school grounds — including “hugging” and “horseplay” — could result in “parent conferences, detention, suspension and/or a request for expulsion from school.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Physical contact "banned" in U.S. school.
Girl gets detention for hugging friends.
Virginia School to kids....No Touching!

[edit on 30-3-2009 by News And History]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The government pays the heads of schools (just like police departments) to enforce their laws (policies) against the natural behavior of the general population (such as expressing your feelings by hugging your friends in school or speaking out against tyrannical governments in public).

As usual, these policies are made to influence the masses to stop normal & harmless behavior in public (schools & playgrounds), such as comforting one another or expressing your feelings in 1 of the simplest ways: hugging.

parenting.blogs.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I live kind of near there.

Well, that's a bummer. But actually for Junior High we had something similar. We weren't supposed to hug or hold hands, if we did sometimes we got yelled at.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hahaha, that's nuts.

I remeber when I was in school me and my girlfriend would go into the closed teachers bathroom and do things that would get us expelled today lol.

The good ol' days...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is all just more anti-social agenda programming. First, remove corporal punishment, then religion, then patriotism, now remove the humanity factor. Without human contact, people begin to lose their basic connection with others. Banning that contact is going to rear an ugly monster. I wonder who is going to be the fall guy taking the blame for the next rash of school shootings and pipe bombs.

Next stop, Civilian Force Training Camps.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yep, we're all screwed.

First, kids couldn't kiss in hallways. Then, they couldn't hold hands. Now, they can't hug. Next, they'll suspend kids for looking at each other too much.

How long until we segregate the male students from the female students? How far does this sort of nonsense have to go? Children can feel love just like adults, and if they can't express it, they'll become emotionally and sexually repressed. Before you know it, we'll have raised a generation of emotionless drones.

Pretty soon we'll start locking our kids up in chastity belts until they turn 18.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Humans express themselves through fighting too!

How dare they ban a way for the students to express their personal feelings towards one another!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Yep, we're all screwed.

First, kids couldn't kiss in hallways. Then, they couldn't hold hands. Now, they can't hug. Next, they'll suspend kids for looking at each other too much.

Pretty soon we'll start locking our kids up in chastity belts until they turn 18.

If you look at it the other way...

First, kids started hugging in hallways. Then, they started holding hands. Next, they started kissing. After that they started grabbing each others asses and giving blowjobs in the bathrooms.

What's next babies born on school grounds? And flush down the toilet?

Oh wait. Already happened.
abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6057161

That's about when they started forcing the evolution of school activity backwards.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Protest by having protesters stand out in front and hug continuously. And while they're at it get as many people as possible and go for the world record of longest group hug. Then to add on to it be sure to gather a petition threatening a boycott of the school if they don't comply and remove the new policy.

The best defense is a good offense.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Funny this from the guy who claims he knows magic words.

But this is madness.

What's so wrong with hugging?

That's just ridiculous. They just want to tear human social relations apart.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Listen to these words and listen well; the moment humanity loses it's compassion is the moment it will cease to exist.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think you guys are overreacting to the school's overreaction.

When I was in middle and high school (class of 02) we were not allowed to hug either. The reasoning behind this was to discourage inappropriate touching or PDA's - public displays of affection - as our principal would call them. While forbidding hugs is an overreaction to the problem of kids making out in hallways between classes, it's a far cry from raising "a generation of emotional drones" as one member put it.

Relax people. It's stupid, not Draconian.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is one of those rules that ought to broken for the sake of breaking it. I think affection between teens and adolescents is fairly natural and shouldn't really be harshly discouraged, however there is a time and a place for everything. I mean there is innocent shows of affection and no-so innocent shows of affection.

Basically, don't make a show of it and things will be fine.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have to agree. Not allowing hugs is overkill. While this might be a policy used to prevent public displays of affection, it goes well beyond that. Why not tell kids that kissing, groping, and inappropriate touching (i.e. that of the sexual nature) is not allowed. Hugs can be reassuring and therapeutic. I know when I was in school I occasionally hugged my closest friends because they were important to me and it was our way of showing care for each other. But I knew that it wasn't sexual either. Maybe that's something that the lawmakers don't understand.
I wonder if they all suffer relationships that are cold and without affection.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
While i don't believe that they should be kissing, and feeling each other up in school, there is nothing wrong with a simple hug, in fact hugging is very beneficial.

Humans are very social beings and need physical touch. What they need to understand is that for some of these kids (such as physically,or emotionally abused and neglected) a hug from a friend, or girlfriend/boyfriend at school may be the only time they receive any kind of physical and/or emotional affection.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding me? Nothing wrong with anything like a hug or a kiss. As long as you aren't taking it too far. Boys kiss and hug the girls they are dating, that's the way it is. And people hug each other, because they like each other.

Get these people who start rules like this out of power. These people are at least partially insane, they shouldn't be in the position of making rules.

I say the whole school protests and gives out hugs to each other every chance they get. Is everybody then going to get into trouble?

Troy

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I live in CT..a ways away from that city though. Stupid, so thier banning interaction with others, which is what we do on a daily basis... God forbid we get lectured for shaking someones hand as a freind. In fact, i could that happening..handshakes are a comodity, reserved ONLY for business executives and CEO's lol.
Gee, i got my first kiss on my cheek, when i was in kindergarten or 1st grade. I still remember it too..red hed girl named stephanie, she kinda dressed like strawberry shortcake. She approached me, asked me if i wa her friend, i said, yeah i guess, and she leaned over my desk and kissed me on my cheek, then went back to playing.
And thats an offense?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Its the teachers jobs! to make sure their is NO horeplay. Its their job to teach, and make sure everyone is paying attention..then if someone is clearly acting out of line, aka knowingly making frating or weird noises and laughing, flinging paper clips and pencils across the room or ceiling, pulling hair, sharing lvoe notes ect yuo get the idea..during classroom huors, then yeah, i can see the theacher giving a verbal warning..meaning pay attention NOW, or feel free to stay 1 hour detention afterschool. But for hugging? I mean cmon!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I gotta add one more thing of detail here, article struck my interest.
How do we know, the principle himself, isnt engaging in sexual and lewd acts with, lets say, the art teacher! in his office? maybe perfecting his tongue skills with the music teacher?
When i was in high school, early 90's, thier was a rumor going around...the assitant principle, a red hed woman, kinda cocky attitude, was a lesbain. Now, the rumor was, in the cafeteria, a student entered it one day, and saw her , leaning back and sitting on the caeteria table, with another woman, holding eachother and making out. They realilzed they got busted, and stopped of course. Principle foudn out, and gave her a verbal warning.
I end my case.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Every time I read something new coming out, where are the groups of citizens saying "No, and screw off!" Getting petitions and ending each and every bad idea they come out with????? Democracy is about ongoing work that citizens have to do, including serving notice on governments if they continue screwing up, that they will be replaced by a civilian one and all funds will be transferred there. People have to stop this stuff.

Good thing it wont show up here, because I'm an in their face kind of person. And I'd be instructing my kids to hug alot, though they're boys, and hug them all the time. Bullhorns are good investments too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join