It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck 3/27/09: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 - HR 875

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I think that the way it could be spun out of proportion has to do with who is behind it (the wife of a monsanto lobbyist).

However, the wording in the bill doesn't seem to be inherently evil. The problem is that if the government makes blanket rules, they could off-set the playing field for small farmers and organic farms that can either not compete effectively or pay the massive taxes / fines that would be just a drop in the bucket for big agrobusiness like monsanto.

That being said, I can easily see this being pushed down the line with no reform, giving us, in the end, a draconian law that will be enforced in urban areas by police who have no real understanding of the implications of overly enforcing it on residents and small-time farmers in urban and suburban areas typically not known for farming.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.govtrack.us...

Sponsor: Rep. Rosa DeLauro [D-CT]

www.monsanto.com...

As far as Stanley Greenberg working for Monsanto – he did some contract work for Monsanto more than ten years ago.

Yes, I'm sure it was more than 10 years ago, very convenient.
/sarcasm

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

I agree 100%. I believe the Feds have been on to the survivalists for some time now. They want us dependent on them.

They don’t like those who are well prepared when SHTF they have less leverage over those who prepared..

This makes me truly upset. I bought a few ounces not (grams) of seeds.

On September 15th Lehman Brothers failed and the DOW dropped 777 points. The survivalist stores got a mass public panic buying spree. The Spam factory had to work double shifts to keep up.

This law is against our 10th amendment right! Soon we will have no rights, Constitution or bills.

They also know farmers survived well during the Great Depression. This is another form of communist control!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I wonder how much they know about the private citizen? Those planning to protest, those they consider a terrorist threat, those who are conspiring and even those that know too much about conspiracy theories.

I think Homeland Security has the right to infringe upon our rights at any given time based on new terrorist’s laws.

The G20 will in fact mention internet security as a means to regulate! Bush 43 hopped on board in November 2008 and Obama will take over on April 2nd at the next Summit meeting.

We are definitely going global! Most likely before 2010.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Besides the fact that beck is a moron... these people definitely have their own spin on it and it spins to the right... anyone who actually believes their take is an idiot...

... think about it will ya... the act is all about commercial farming not my garden in the back yard... besides that it would take an army of people to enforce.

Get a grip people.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

It would only take one neighbor to rat you out.

What about 4th AMENDMENT rights regarding search and SEIZURE? They will most likely change that too?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

... think about it will ya... the act is all about commercial farming not my garden in the back yard... besides that it would take an army of people to enforce.

Every post I've seen you make grover is in support of the government. You respond to threads like you haven't read what THE PEOPLE have to say about it, blindly supporting what ever government infringement on our rights they come up with next.

Not straight up calling you a disinfo agent, but it sure as hell seems like it.

Furthermore, they already do this with marijuana, what makes you think this will be any different or more difficult.

I mean they have entire fleets of choppers out there looking for marijuana plants from the sky, its not that far fetched, nay, it would be easier to spot a garden/farm, than it is to spot a few pot plants.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
AND the guy is saying that the government has been vilifying milk for years... yes raw milk because it is the source of one of the most contagious strains of TB... bovine TB.

There are sound reasons why food production WAS one of the most tightly regulated industries in the nation... that is before the republicans cut funding for the FDA in half or better over the years.... its called food borne toxins.

Beck is just another right wing fear monger... if he had any crediblity at all he would have had one of the sponsors of the bill on as well as people in favor of it.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Get a grip people.

firstly the dialect is able to encompass any type of farmign or gardening.

secondly your other statement must be from the 90s.

How many legislature had intersections? Before people with could take a photo of a cop, now they can't take pics of a cop, now they can't often take pictures of anything or anyone in public areas.
And I have so many such examples as well.

Btw they do have an army of people to enforce, nobody implied it would be enforced overnight.

btw there's nothign wrng with raw milk

[edit on 31-3-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

I take the government to task plenty of times but just ask yourself just WHO are the people opposing this? WHO are the people out there on the tube doing the talking before you swallow it hook line and sinker then go and look at what people are saying in favor of it and ask the same thing.

Despite the fear mongering the people most affected by this law would be the monster farms.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

think about it will ya... the act is all about commercial farming not my garden in the back yard

The problem is that this bill addresses EVERY FARM/GARDEN as if it were a commercial food production facility, that's simply not the case.

There are sound reasons why food production WAS one of the most tightly regulated industries in the nation...

So now we're supplementing people's inability to use common sense and WASH GROWN FRUITS AND VEGGIES BEFORE SERVING THEM with laws that only serve to PROP UP GIANT AGRICULTURAL CORPORATIONS. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Considering that was something I was TAUGHT AS A CHILD.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I take the government to task plenty of times but just ask yourself just WHO are the people opposing this? WHO are the people out there on the tube doing the talking before you swallow it hook line and sinker then go and look at what people are saying in favor of it and ask the same thing.

I am opposing this. I don't have a farm, garden, or anything of the type, but I deeply oppose this. As it's my right to provide my family with food I grow myself if I choose to do so. I trust nature more than I trust the vitamin and mineral deficient genetically engineered crops monsanto produces.

I think you need to take your own advice and ask yourself WHO ARE THE PEOPLE SUPPORTING THIS BILL.

The already rich and powerful, who are becoming less rich and powerful because of the organic farming market.

It's not rocket surgery genius.

[intended mispun.]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
GOD PEOPLE... besides the beck comedy hour have any of you read this?

Its talking about commercial farms and is quite clear about that: Here is the link to the bill itself:

www.govtrack.us...

Do your homework or people like these will continue to get away ...*snip*... every time.

Mod Edit: Keep it civil thanks. -alien

[edit on 1-4-2009 by alien]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Quiet down, its clear you are the one that hasn't done the proper reading.

No where does it distinguish or define what a farm is, what size of farm their talking about, it lumps everything together with the same inane paperwork and penalities.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Consider if you can... given your hystronics the salmonella out break in spinich a couple of years back... source outhouses near the fields and human waste water... all the washing in the world isn't gonna get rid of it when its in the plant.

I have the bill open before me right now... what do you want... it to spell everything out in as simple terms possible?

[edit on 31-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Consider if you can... given your hystronics the salmonella out break in spinich a couple of years back... source outhouses near the fields and human waste water... all the washing in the world isn't gonna get rid of it when its in the plant.

Look whos fear mongering now.

I have the bill open before me right now... what do you want... it to spell everything out in as simple terms possible?

Yeah generally when you write laws that affect ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY, you should probably ADDRESS THE SITUATION OF ALL THE PEOPLE AFFECTED BY SAID LAW.

Simple guidelines defining how many acres is considered a commercial farm would be sufficient, but the SIMPLE GUIDELINES ARE ABSENT. Thus lumping everything together with the same inane paperwork and penalties.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

THATS WHAT HAPPENED!!!

AKA a statement of fact.

I swear mothermaryofballmolach some people!!!

[edit on 31-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yes, that is what happened, but that is one incident out of 100's of years of organic farming from tens of thousands of other farms doing it safely.

So your citing one incident that happened doesn't make it any less fear mongering, because that is not the norm. It's just fear mongering that supports your position rather than the other way around.

Furthermore, any large food borne illness outbreak that effects a large portion of the population will likely come from A GIANT AGRICULTURAL PRODUCER, as they ship their product all over the nation, produce the most, and have the most access to the population.

It's really just smarter to have farms spread out locally to avoid a wide spread incident, as local farms are likely only going to affect local populations.

You work for monsanto dont ya.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
You work for monsanto dont ya.

You haven't been paying attention have you?

Go reread the thread... the dariy farmer whose talking wife is a lobbyest for Monsantos... and he is speaking out against the bill...

*snip*

... so explain just how I am working for monsantos???

[edit on 1-4-2009 by alien]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Grover you seem to be an oppressor's apologist, and you will regret it in the end.

I cannot even agree with one of your statements.

Every large or small food poisining incident that has happened have always come from large producers.

I am doing some gardening now and learnt ALOT.

And let me tell you, home gardeners and small farm businesses BOTH take great care of food production. Much much more than large 'assembly line' type of businesses.

Ever ate a potato grown in your backyard, it taste so much better than store-bought potatoes. And it's healthier because of no chemicals.

Do some homework on home gardening, you'll learn alot and change your mind on most of your arguments. And yes learning home gardening you'll also learn alot about small farms.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join