It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protecting Your Bug Out Site

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I would do my best to not be found.
Supplies are for me and my family. It'd be tough not to give someone just one meal but if you do that you know that they'd be back for more - or go get more people to help them rob you.

Best bet - try not to let anyone know that you are there.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If your bug-out site is in the wilds, you should be spending some time looking at the area with a defensive mind.

Were not talking barricades or other hardened construction, more using nature to do the work for you. Once you have decided where your encampment will be, walk-out a perimeter to determine sight-lines, choke-points, and any areas where you may be overlooked from

You'll abviously need a store of water, so why not start digging pits to the size of a dustbin, and lining with tough garden-waste bags, and a lighweight screen placed over the top as a filter-lid. As these fill up they'll provide a good 200 litres of storage apiece and double as an inner-tier of defensive pit-fall traps for both human and animal.

Another is to start looking at the horticulture...if you start slowly, you can start planting varieties such as Pyracantha or other similar, as natural barbed-wire to force limited points of approach

The benefit of using naturally toxic (such as poison ivy/oak) and/or viciously barbed plants is that the longer they are left between preparation, and your ultimately being forced to relocate, the sturdier the defences will grow

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I was going to post my ideas, but I think I'll just copy your plans

You thought this through

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
First any fool that goes into the Calif desert in a sitX without knowing exactly what they are doing is not a survivor anyway so if they even got close it would surprise me.
Those that did would pass by my hide would only see desolate desert.
as my hide is a string of springs that are hidden from the road in the valley below.
None can be seen from there and i can pull off of the road and drive up the wash to the first spring and wipe out my tire tracks and no one but the wild burros will know. (the wild burros are transportation if needed and can be used for food if all else fails.)

These springs a surrounded by heavy growths of Screwbean Mesquite that have nice long thorns that are as good a barbed wire. The beans are eatable.
There are many signs of the native americans using these springs as villages sites so we am not the first to find these areas and live there.
www.pollenlibrary.com...

The best part is that there are 4 military bases surounding this area (within 100 miles) that could be got to within a few hours and the ways in are not guarded roads just locked gates. with connecting road to the main base areas. (area 51 is one of these areas.)

The team has a few other near by back up sites some even with old mines and buildings.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is quite a conumdrum..

There are quite a few ways to look at this really..I would think a time frame would help make a choice to some. Is it months after SitX?when people are running out of readily availible supplies and are scavenging for new?
Is this SitX a situation that there is no hope for a civil society any time soon?Kinda like a Bio-appocolypse..

I like the idea of the headed stakes..Vlad the impailer did that and it worked for him..I would seem that I would fall back onto Zero-tollerance..But I can't kick a dog with out getting upset,but have had enemys in cross-hairs without remorse..Dont let them in close enough to get caught in the emotional trap..Booby traps serve there porpose,and in a new world of kill or be killed all bets are off..Self preservation will kick in and most will surprise themselfs..

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

The best part is that there are 4 military bases surounding this area (within 100 miles) that could be got to within a few hours and the ways in are not guarded roads just locked gates. with connecting road to the main base areas. (area 51 is one of these areas.)

So those hidden motion sensors don't count as guarded roads then?

Seriously, I would think twice about approaching any place that displayed signs advocating deadly force.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

Originally posted by ANNED

So those hidden motion sensors don't count as guarded roads then?

Seriously, I would think twice about approaching any place that displayed signs advocating deadly force.

do you think after a real sitX like a nuclear attack or other bad problem that there will still be any military personal standing guard at remote desert military bases to shoot people.
they will be trying to control the survivors in places the have large amounts of people or they will have left to take care of there own.

Its not like i would try to raid area 51 because what i would want is not likely to be there. and i would be to busy looking for food and equipment to care if there were aliens at area 51.

I would be after military supply warehouses. food, fuel and weapons storage areas
Although the idea of grabbing a couple of M1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks from Fort Irwin to use as bunkers to protect the entrance of the canyon has a appeal.

[edit on 1-4-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If, and thats a big if someone got close enough to "homebase" to consider begging.......
That would mean they made it through the 1/4 miles radius of future food/and protection traps, I seriously doubt hunger will be whats on that persons mind......more like "thars sumthin wrong with this nut"
"these here traps, are fer PPL"
"Burrow in like a tick, know your land better than your neighbor!"
I believe this was a famous quote.....dunno, just sticks with me, take it as you will, we may all need each other, depending on sit-X
Knowledge and human behavor 101, and oddly enough the person that gets this same info. just from being out in nature, watching, studying and actually understanding "instincs" will be our new "heros"

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Piracantha, cactus, even blackberry vines and fallen logs can be used to improve your hide.

Nothing is impregnable, so keep in mind that even a fox never trusts himself to just one hole.

But these barriers while appearing "natural" should be used to "direct" and steer any intruders along previously targeted, natural lines of approach. You want them to approach you where you have planned for them to approach you.

These natural lines of approach should have surprises to discourage further approach. Concealed pits with vipers, maintained within the pits can be rather discouraging. We've all heard of "pungi sticks" dipped in human waste. Death in just a few hours just from the infection.

Grass seed or other seed can attract birds, which in turn will give you warning. So will geese. A first-generation wolf not raised with dogs will not bark, but in addition to giving plenty of warning, also love to attack what is not his "pack", meaning you and your family.

Plus, everyone always wants to take out the nearest intruder. I would suggest taking out the farthest intruder first, and where possible, work from back to front.

Sure screws with a guys head when he suddenly realizes that his "reinforcements" are out of the fight, and he's next.

The operative in defending your "hide" is putting your foes on the horns of dilemma. Psychologically dislocating them.

What appears natural is not. What appears safe is not. What appears an advantage, is a trap. When his moves have already been anticipated, prepared for, and neutralized, then he is beaten mentally, which means you just have to perform "cleanup."

A simple strip of aluminum foil, hanging from where it's not supposed to be, will momentarily take his eyes off of what's at his feet, as he's trying to figure out what it is. I successfully used it in combat to help ensure they would hit that fine wire at their feet.

Misdirection is another tool. Fine wire, carefully run though concealed guides, will present "movement" in another direction. And as they close in on that, you hit them in the side or rear.

Just look at your hide, and think as an attacker. A determined attacker. Fix that, and start over. When it's for real, this should be a constant practice. Always work over your defense from an offensive mindset.

And if all else fails, you have your second hole, your means to escape to a few other alternate locations where you've already spread your supplies.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Don't give all the secrets away, super dooper, great, I mean great, detail, I was thinking more along the line of 400-1000 lb leverage, trigger activated, "made from materials native to your area"
Maybe even a couple of overkill, "psychologically" demorallizing..
Like a log wrapped in rusty razer wire wizzing 100 FPS, "giving plenty of trigger lag" to let them hear it, then see it, and if smart move.
Folllowed by the serious, quite but deadly ones, "1st ones a warning" type of thing.....
Loved your advice, and will be making some addaptations, thanks 4 da tips.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Doc, I would never give all my secrets away!

Like I tell my sons. Everything they've learned, they've learned from me. But not everything I know have I taught!

Actually I just tried to speak in generalities, and to suggest some principles in thinking.

You'll note that I never mentioned some of the nasty surprises when they stick their heads in . . . for the last time.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Seany

The best thing you can do is not be seen, and to make it look like
a place they would NOT want to stop.

Transplanting sticker vines around your perimeter would be a good idea.

They'd simply take the path of least resistance around.

If they see anything there that makes them think there might be food
and they are starving to death, your going to have a real hard time
talking them into leaving unless you got a weapon and look like
your willing to use it to defend you and what is yours.

If you have more supplies than you need by a long shot and have a
garden with lots of veggies, then you might evaluate potential allies.

I think kids are our future, and we need to look out for them and set
a good example, but I will not give my life for some strangers kids
if they are not willing to listen.

Personally with all the methods I am walking out with I will be able to
find edible plants, grow food, trap food, sprout seeds, trap fish,etc etc.

Get some heirloom seeds off ebay cheap, or get a whole kit from
one of the various sites.

May I recommend Giant Golden Amaranth as it is one of the few
complete plant proteins, and this one type has about a pound of seed
per plant under good conditions.

Sprouting the seed then gives you roughly ten times the weight in food.

I cannot see me starving and I think it is likely that I could feed a
fairly large group all by myself, though it will not be tasty.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
A simple strip of aluminum foil, hanging from where it's not supposed to be, will momentarily take his eyes off of what's at his feet, as he's trying to figure out what it is. I successfully used it in combat to help ensure they would hit that fine wire at their feet.

Excellent tactic...that one never occured to me

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

We need to fake them out and act hungry.

Have some bartering tooks, such as small pocket knives and ask them for food.

This way they will think you have nothing. I also suggest burying anything obvious and keep out small rations at a time.

It will be a game of psychology , which in fact is most important to survival.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by breakingdradles

We need to fake them out and act hungry.

Have some bartering tooks, such as small pocket knives and ask them for food.

This way they will think you have nothing. I also suggest burying anything obvious and keep out small rations at a time.

It will be a game of psychology , which in fact is most important to survival.
and either pick up and move or bury them in the back 40..lol..
1 liner

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just by having a secured encampment will make it a target by those who find you there, irrespective of whether you actually have any supplies or have just finished the very last of the rations.

If in dire times, someone percieves that you have something that they don't, they will want to try to take it for themselves

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Just by having a secured encampment will make it a target by those who find you there, irrespective of whether you actually have any supplies or have just finished the very last of the rations.

If in dire times, someone percieves that you have something that they don't, they will want to try to take it for themselves

This is very true, you might win one , two or five fights, but odds
are you are not going to bat 1,000.

The best true survival technique is stealth and deception.

It sure works for our politicians.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
I would tell the men that they are on their own. The children would be helped and fed for sure. Maybe the women, but of course the mothers of young ones.

But the men? I'd tell them to get busy hunting and providing for theirs, or get busy dying. Somewhere else.

You are far too soft to survive. Kids and/or women will be used as a ruse in order to take your stuff, or get at you. Your talking of a time of limited resources, and additional people will just tax those resources beyond the breaking point. The logical survival decision would be to tell them all to bugger off, be they child, woman, or man.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Spacepunk, I've been in more firefights than I can count, and I have met my well-armed opponents in combat, and whether you use Company records or Battalion records, I've knocked either 42 or 44 out of their chow line.

I'll feed the kids. I'll feed the mothers of small ones. And I'll have sufficient situational awareness and intuition as to have command during my effort.

I don't get surprised. Sounds funny, but I don't. My rule in combat was to be professional and polite to everyone, but to be prepared to kill everyone I met, as needed.

I used to provide meat for a family with five kids down the way where the father was a damned drunk, and I also kept many widow's freezers full.

Let me share something it took a long time to learn:

If I plant corn in the Spring, then come Fall, I can't expect to harvest wheat, soybeans, or anything else.

I will reap exactly what I sowed.

And if I plant ten bushels of seed corn, I don't harvest ten bushels of seed corn. I get back multiples of what I planted.

It works that way in life.

You're going to get back in kind, exactly what you spread, and tons of it.

So you ask yourself, what do I want to harvest aplenty?

I have no problem killing in excess when called for. But I'll be damned if I'll see the little ones suffer.

The trick is to preferably go undetected. Spread your caches out into many small ones in good locations.

Never fight unless forced to, and even then, make sure it's an offensive defense. Plan carefully.

Maneuver is a hundred-fold more safe than the greatest fortification. Always maintain your freedom of movement.

Someone wants to pursue? You make them pay, and pay dearly. Soon, they reach the conclusion that you're way more trouble than you're worth. They'll opt for easier prey.

Same thing works in the animal world every day.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

you said something that all service men must think..

be a gentlemen to everyone you meet,but also devise a way to kill them all if the need arises..lol...

That has been stuck in my head since I got out..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join