It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP full of hot air about Obama's "light switch tax"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
politifact.org...

Taxpayers may have been shocked to learn from House Republicans that President Obama wants to pay for health care by charging them to turn on a light.

"The Administration raises revenue for nationalized health care through a series of new taxes, including a light switch tax that would cost every American household $3,128 a year," the House Republican Conference said in a Web post and press release titled "Questions on the Budget for President Obama," distributed March 24. "What effect will this...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2009 by grover]

[edit: clipped quoted content to 500 char. limit]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I much prefer stories about fools who check their gas tank with a lighter...

... these stories are so tedious no matter which party is guilty for it.

We... the public need to be informed but this isn't even informative its out and out lies and falsehoods...

... but I am sure it has been spread around the web and the talk shows until most of the people who go in for such tripe believe it to the bottom of their souls.

For the record I have found Politifact to be in the words of a comedy show that isn't... fair and balanced.

politifact.org...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
LOl this is insane,, pure madness. Looks like obama has king george in him. God frobid, light wa a luxury to come home too. Oh well, candles will do fine, and add 3 times the amount of carbon back into the air

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Did you even read that? The article is pointing out that the Republican claims about a light switch are false.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I calculate the increased cost to the average taxpayer to be somewhere between the two, Repubs and economists.

The direct cost increases from the energy companies will be somewhat more than indicated by the economists: the companies will gouge us for all they can.
The costs of goods and services to the taxpayer will increase as those providers will pass any increases they receive on to the consumer.

Therefore, I tend to believe the Repubs are a little closer to the cost to taxpayer projection than are the economists.

The economists insert too many "mights" and "maybes ", and "perhaps",
for my liking.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
LOl this is insane,, pure madness. Looks like obama has king george in him. God frobid, light wa a luxury to come home too. Oh well, candles will do fine, and add 3 times the amount of carbon back into the air

But did Obama check with Al Gore before going ahead with this?

You know, the Al Gore with the hugely energy inefficient house even though he keeps trying to scare everyone to cut back on energy usage due to so-called "global warming"?

This light switch tax would really take a bite of Gore's yearly income ...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

So it's false?

That's good.

Thank God.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Your not thinking this through. Of course the Power Companies will pass this on to us. And they will pass it on to anyone who uses electricity, or natural gas, in the manufacturing process. Guess where all these extra charges wind up?
At the cash register, and I think it will be substanially more than $30.00. It really amounts to a Value Added Tax, like they have in Europe.
If it passes, we are screwed even more than we have been, and they ain't even gonna bother with the Vaseline.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Call it what you want "Light switch tax" or "cap and trade"....any tax on energy companies will be paid by anyone using any type of energy.

Why do you think the myth of Global Warming is being pushed so hard?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

If you believe global warming is a myth RR... then it must be true.
:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
the GOP can suck it, frankly. they have nothing to complain about after what their leaders did.

now i'm still an Obama skeptic, but this is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

How is massive taxing a good thing?

top topics

join