It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious East Coast Boom Was Falling Russian Rocket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Mysterious East Coast Boom Was Falling Russian Rocket

news.yahoo.com

The mysterious boom and flash of light seen over parts of Virginia Sunday night was not a meteor, but actually exploding space junk from the second stage of a Russian Soyuz rocket falling back to Earth, according to an official with the U.S. Naval Observatory.

"I'm pretty convinced that what these folks saw was the second stage of the Soyuz rocket that launched the crew up to the space station," said Jeff Chester of the Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C.

Residents of the areas around Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Va., began calling 911 last night with reports of hearing a loud boom and seeing a streak of light that lit up the sky, according to news reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well there you have it folks, the "boom" explained as the booster from a Soviet rocket. Could this be fact or is that what they want us to believe it was? Some will tend to disagree with this explnation and thats ok it's just a fact to be skeptical of our leader's at this point. I am leaning to dis agree with this, I was not there and did not hear the sound but I'm weary of anything the govt, or NASA says anyways, thoughts? comments?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This story does make you think after hearing about the N. Korea missiles in the news over the last few days.

google search linky

I don't trust anyone these days, just suck in all the info and form my own opinions without shoving them down anyone's throat.

Thanks for finding this breaking news.

A_L

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

as the booster from a Soviet rocket

It took almost two decades for a booster section to fall down??
Seriously though, i do not know what it was or how loud/bright it was. But there were hundreds (understatement) of those boosters,some Soviet ,some Russian
, and yet it was described by people as something extraordinary. So personally i'll wait before accepting this version.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

agreed, and good point you make
I love to hear the B.S explinations they give us, makes you wonder though what's really going on?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What about people who say there were four objects?

*eek! runs over and resets the nuclear denotation countdown*

three lines.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

It took almost two decades for a booster section to fall down??
Seriously though, i do not know what it was or how loud/bright it was. But there were hundreds (understatement) of those boosters,some Soviet ,some Russian
, and yet it was described by people as something extraordinary. So personally i'll wait before accepting this version.

I can see that you didn't even bother to read the article. The Soyuz that this came from launched on THURSDAY to take a crew to the ISS. That's the reason that the Discovery had to detach from the station on Wednesday, so that there was room and they were out of the way for when the Soyuz capsule arrived.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

That's what I mean, we have all of these witness accounts of things like this and the fed wants to feed us a blanket reason and we're expected to just believe it as fact, I'd love to hear some actual witness responce to this!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

There is no way that a section of booster is going to come through the atmosphere intact. It's going to break up as it's coming down, and you're going to see more than one object.

The external fuel tank that the shuttle carries up reenters the atmosphere, and breaks up as it's coming back in. They usually land in either the Indian or Pacific ocean, in pieces.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

So does that explain the other "booms" and what not heard a other times in other areas?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

What about the sound( honest question) are they known to produce any? and if so why? Second line.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

It always is! When is it not a Russian rocket? When? Was there ever a time anything ever was not blamed on a Russian rocket? My toaster-oven broke last week...those darn Russian rockets!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Sonic booms can be heard for 150+ miles. They can be felt for about that distance too. The Hawaii Air National Guard used to cause 3.0 earthquakes on Oahu when they went supersonic 130-140 miles offshore.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I'd star you a hundred times for that comment if I could, I feel the same way umm maybe I should check the garage for some faulty boosters lol

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Ok so then why is this not a common phenomena what with all of the activity in space and all
for the record I think it was a possible encounter with something that bad that got too close and was quickly dispatched by starwars.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

They are pesky, always haunting the evening sky...you never know when one (two, or a half-dozen) are going to create fireworks; and the American population gets to stay on their toes, and say "ahhh".

So, let me be the first...thank you Russia! I think I can speak for everyone here in America, we love your always lurking rockets that always explode for such a show!

[edit on 30-3-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Believe it or not, a lot of them come down in either unpopulated areas, or in areas that don't have the infrastructure that the US, or other "first world" countries do.

When the ISS goes up, they plan for the external tank to come down outside shipping lanes in the ocean. They can usually plan pretty well where they come down, but sometimes they do come down over populated areas like this one did.

What about the sound( honest question) are they known to produce any? and if so why? Second line.

Sorry, missed this one.

They're going so fast when they come down, that they are leaving constant sonic booms. When the shuttle gets down low enough, there is a double boom that can be heard on the ground. You always hear reports of booms as they're at very high altitude as well too.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Given that they monitor all of this "space debris" why not a warning to the public beforehand? like "don't worry it's just a booster stage coming down over your heads" " nothing to see here people move along" regular programing resumed..... if these thing are as unpredictable as that, it just makes sense to give the public some kind of warning.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

A lot of the time they don't know where it's coming down until the last minute. If it's not going to impact a populated area, they don't warn people. When the satellite that was shot down was coming down, they were predicting that the hydrazine tank was going to land in the midwest, and were constantly updating people.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
From the source article:

Chester ran a satellite tracking program that showed that the rocket debris should have come down exactly in the area where the fireball was spotted.

"This is just too much of a coincidence to be coincidence," he said.

Chester said that U.S. Space Surveillance Network had not yet confirmed that this was the case, but said that he was "99 and four one-hundredths [percent] convinced that this is what it is."

OK, if this night light/sound show across the east coast was indeed space junk, and this Chester guy ran a program which projected that the debris was expected to come down in this exact area, AND you have the US SSN monitoring the skies......

WHY WASN"T A WARNING POSTED PRIOR?

To alert the millions of people in the area.....

Would the "russian rocket booster" explanation been used had this incident caused more than just a light and sound show along the mideast coast?

If it is so easy to click a few buttons to come to a 99% conclusion it was rocket debris, I think a little Heads UP isn't too much too ask for...

Do you?

ed:big fingers, small keyboard

[edit on 3/30/2009 by JacKatMtn]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join