It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Introduced to Limit 'overboard' Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Bill would limit 'overboard' Patriot Act subpoena power

rawstory.com

A bipartisan bill introduced to Congress on Monday aims to curtail "overboard" subpoena power given to federal authorities by the Patriot Act.

Congressmen Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and Jeff Flake (R-AZ) said in a release that National Security Letters, used by federal authorities to cull private information such as Internet histories and financial records, have led to "rampant abuse" and must be curbed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This would be an amazing act if enacted ... who knows if it will or not ... what are your thoughts? i think that there has been an overabundance of reasons for them to abuse this act ... hopefully it will pass ... i don't know ... couldn't this actually hurt the government? and the numerous things they do using the patriot act as an excuse

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
My thoughts?

My thoughts are this, why hasn't this steaming pile of unconstitutional legislation been removed from the books completely already?

Why hasn't the department of "homeland security" been disolved entirely. Why hasn't something been done to put a stop to the propaganda machine that is the missouri information analytical center?

Unless of course Obama is complicit with the powers that be, and intends on using it.

Why has none of this been done?

It's all part of the plan.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by djzombie]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it AND, it isn't that impressive because even if their left hands do away with it, their right hands are just as busy in other areas ushering in the NWO.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
At least someone in government is mentioning it!
Yay.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is why we elected the Democrats in the first place.

I gave up on the Democrats when they said they wouldn't care what Barack Obama has to say about limiting earmarks. And I thought to myself if they don't care about that they're just going to make more and more hyper spending.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The Patriot is here to stay. Otherwise, it would have been gone a long time ago. They will talk the talk just to appease the voters but in the end they know this kind of bill isn't going anywhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I fear, worse still, that defeating the Patriot Act at this juncture would just be the perfect motivation to reuse that tired old governmental tool..., the False Flag.

Can you imagine how effective it would be. Weaken the act, kill a bunch of people, say it was Osama or the Drug Lords, or maybe Iran if there in an apocalyptic mood, then BANG! We'll get the SUPER Patriot Act - now with added American goodness and nutritional supplements!

There are only two ways to eliminate this act for the benefit of America. Reorganize the Justice System, or repeal the act outright.

If we simply repeal the Act it would be easier and less messy. Otherwise, we need to restructure the Justice system to be more powerful than the act. Oversight is key. The Justice system may be willing to turn a blind eye, but if they are restructured into a mandate to restrict the federal government's abuse more aggressively and proactively - they will not have the 'choice' to be political. Because failing to live up to that mandate will be CRIMINAL. Just as it should be to be a representative to the Federal Government of a state, and fail to represent them, repeatedly, with impunity.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

i agree i think there are higher powers at work and that the patriot act should be scrapped if the security of the people are what the government's really fighting for ...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
exactly!! thats the point even IF and thats a big "i'll believe it when me S*** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet" but if it does, its all part of the plan.. the NWO are like master magicians, art of distraction watch my left while my right does something else..

do you really think that the CFR/NWO/TC would let something happen if they didn't want too? no no my friends its not that easy

it's all part of the plan

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that it'll pass, and if it does it's only to distract us from something else they're slipping in under our noses while we're busy with this.

Even if passed it does nothing anyway, what they need to do is to get rid of the "Patriot Act" altogether, it's unconstitutional and we should accept no less than it's complete removal.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Why would President Obama change the Patriot Act when he voted for it? I'm sure he read through it when it was introduced, he did have plenty of time.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It's a first step. A small step, but at least into right direction.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I hope this passes, hopefully it's just the beginning of a rollback to the extra-Constitutional powers the government as given itself over the past eight years - hell, 16 years if you count all the BS Clinton did.

Despite the doom and gloom I hear so much on ATS, between a bipartisan rollback of the Patriot Act and the letter 65 Democratic representatives wrote opposing the silly "Assault Weapons Ban", we may be seeing a legislature with more respect for civil liberties.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
do you really think the CFR/TC/NWO would let something happen they don't want? you have to understand Obama is a puppet like all the rest were, if they want it to happen it will, if they don't it wont. it's all just smoke and mirrors, this is a distraction...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I hope this passes, hopefully it's just the beginning of a rollback to the extra-Constitutional powers the government as given itself over the past eight years - hell, 16 years if you count all the BS Clinton did.

Despite the doom and gloom I hear so much on ATS, between a bipartisan rollback of the Patriot Act and the letter 65 Democratic representatives wrote opposing the silly "Assault Weapons Ban", we may be seeing a legislature with more respect for civil liberties.

That's what I'm hoping for xmotex. They might even start liking what the constitution actually says more than they enjoy interpreting it. That'd be nice.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

Most of the Patriot act is due to expire in December 2009.

Be watching for any amendments that have hidden agendas like extending this law!

I assume anyone proposing additional requirements to the Patriot act is expecting it to be extended beyond 2009. This wouldn’t be good.

New regulations are being forced on us in every aspect of our Constitution. It is witling away before our eyes.

top topics

join