Do you think software companies START some of the infections?

page: 1

join
CX

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm not too clued up about computer security, other than doing what we are suggested to do in order to protect our computers.

I was just curious about the companies that recommend and sell computer security software.

Tonight i have been looking into the Conficker threat that is supposed to infect a lot of computers in a couple of days. I know it's done a lot of damage already, and looks set to do a lot more.

Then looking into the explanations and diagrams showing the way it infects, it appears that everything they say the virus targets, is something that can be fixed with product you can either download or purchase.

Fair enough i guess, we have to get help from somewhere.

Yet all the ways that we are given to deal with this, benefit the companies.

You download a patch, ok that can be free. Anti-virus software and the likes can also be fre, however there is a hell of a lot that is purchased.

If the threat totaly fries your computer, or if you do not have the knowledge to fix it, you buy a new computer......companies win again.

I'm not sure if i've explained my thoughts well, but i'm sure you get my drift.

If thousands of people go out and buy new computers with MS operating systems on it, the reward of $250,000 is a drop in the ocean compared with what they'd make on people panicing and buying extra security.

Anyway, thats just my thoughts, the thoughts of someone who like i say has little computer security knowledge....so be easy with the flaming please!

Do you think all security software firms are honourable?

CX.

EDITED TO ADD: On second thoughts, this might be more at home in the general conspiracy forum (just seen the "cutting edge and future technology" comment..not sure this quite fits that). Could a mod please move this if it needs to be? Thank you.

[edit on 30/3/09 by CX]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
While it would seem at first an obvious connection, it would certainly be a very risky undertaking for any company. Consider the recent outrage when Norton triggered some Firewall alarms with one of their updates :

[ATS Thread]

The virus you are talking about is most likely an attempt to set up a "bot net" for sending spam. These bot nets can be quite profitable to the hackers that control them, and sell the spam or DoS capability they provide.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The long and short of it is, yes, they do.

Without infections, they would be out of business. They make sure not to look to far ahead, and there's always a flaw that helps infections to get through. There's no such thing as perfect coding or perfect security, and antivirus software capitalizes on that.

And who better to find those flaws than those who create the software?

[edit on 30-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
No, they do not proliferate the spread, nor the development of malicious software.

Granted they do make money of these things, the guys writing the software can make even more money if you let them. What I mean by let them is use the net for a couple of days with out a firewall or AV application.

Also, there are several free (and reliable) AV products available.

All software has weaknesses, and some people do enjoy the challenge of exploiting those weaknesses. Also, a lot of times, curiosity is the driving factor.

new topics

join