It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security alerts close city roads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Security alerts close city roads

news.bbc.co.uk

Several roads have been closed across Belfast because of security alerts.

North Queen Street, Tennant Street, Kingsway at Dunmurry, Blacks Roads and Stewartstown Road have all been closed because of alerts at police stations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Cars and other vehicles have been hijacked, set on fire and blocked roads. Five police stations have been evacuated because of suspicious packages.

Majority of Belfast is being restricted after numerous calls of devices being left in the area.

Skynews are reporting rioting has broken out in republican areas (unconfirmed.)

I'll update with my news. Currently breaking

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
yeah the scum in lurgan are also at it,im expecting craigavon will start rioting aswell as soon as the kids get there homework done....

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I see on sky news they are blaming IRA for the civil unrest!......Personaly i would say its probaly ordinary people who have just had enough of the goverment!..............

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mr.man

Well, two soldiers and a police officer were killed by dissident republicans. Wouldn't justify their actions.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

BELFAST, Northern Ireland — Northern Ireland police say suspected IRA dissidents have hijacked and burned vehicles in Catholic parts of Belfast and left suspicious objects near two of the city's police stations. Monday's destruction in Irish republican enclaves of Belfast caused several roads to be closed and came at the end of a month when IRA dissidents shot to death two soldiers and a policeman. They were the first killings of British security forces since 1998. Police say disturbances in the Catholic end of Lurgan, a town southwest of Belfast where the dissidents have built a power base, also have forced police to shut part of Northern Ireland's main motorway.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

The streets of Belfast are ablaze once again this evening with Real IRA protesters hijacking and blowing up vehicles outside police stations. Police and the security services are on high alert. Dozens of hooded men are hijacking cars, lorries and vans in the Alliance, Andersonstown and Ardoyne areas - one was set alight outside the police station on North Queens Street, another on Tenant Street and the last at an unoccupied station.

Group warned more bloodshed - officers re arming Republican Sinn Fein, the political wing of the Continuity IRA warned last week of more bloodshed. That group has claimed responsibility for the shooting dead of police man Stephen Carroll in Lurgan earlier this month. Yesterday the Police Service of Northern Ireland confirmed it was re arming and issuing officers with flack jackets for the first time in years in a response to the growing dissident threat.

Roads closed Kingsway at Dunmurry, Blacks Roads and Stewartstown Road have all been closed. Hillview Road in the Oldpark area, Andersonstown Road in west Belfast and Upper Newtownards Road near the Stormont hotel are also closed. The M1 city-bound is closed at Lurgan because of an hijacked vehicle. A lorry has also been hijacked and set on fire on Upper Springfield Road, and a van which was burnt out close to Holy Cross church on the Crumlin Road is also causing disruption, the police said.

London Daily News

[edit on 30-3-2009 by hippy2012]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said it was receiving a wave of reports of vehicles being hijacked by masked gunmen in several parts of Belfast and in the Kilwilkie district of Lurgan, a power base for Irish Republican Army dissidents southwest of Belfast.

The hijackings and security alerts also coincided with a widespread breakdown of Belfast's traffic lights system. Police in a statement called that an "unfortunate coincidence."

AP

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Time the police came down heavier on these republican thugs...vast majority of people in NI now live in peace so noone would give a hoot if the police got stuck into these hoods and gave them a bit of their own medicine

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, whatever is going on...

Thanks for keeping this thread updated.

Wondering how this might play out. If anything?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I can't seem to find any more information on this situation. You would think that it would get a little bit more coverage but then again the phrase "summer of rage" keeps replaying in my mind...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

One of a number of hi-jacked vehicles set on fire, seen, in West Belfast, Northern Ireland, Monday, March, 30, 2009.

AP
This is a new update to the AP link I posted above, now comes with pictures

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The scale and co-ordination of the bomb alerts marked a step-change in the republicans’ ability to cause major disruption in areas hitherto under the de facto control of the Provisional IRA. They were being interpreted as a riposte to Sinn Féin and the Police Service of Northern Ireland, which had described republicans intent on pursuing a physical force agenda as “micro-groups” with no support. Scores of people would have been required to organise and co-ordinate the bomb alerts. Investigations were also taking place into an explosion at an electricity sub-station in East Belfast which left about 4,000 people without power. There was no immediate comment from police or Northern Ireland Electricity about whether terrorist activity was suspected.

Timesonline

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ireland has been aggressively oppressed for 800 years by the British military establishment- enough time for Irish culture, langauge and customs to be all but wiped out. If I were Irish, I'd be pretty p*ssed off, and would see myself as a freedom fighter instead of a 'dissident'. Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Link

[edit on 30-3-2009 by JRSB]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There are a good number of people who think that, in the event of a large-scale destabilization that Ireland and Italy will be the first Western European nations to suffer major decline.

Very interesting post. This summer will be very interesting in the UK and in Ireland. I certainly hope things go well, but, people should be ready for possible unrest.

S+F, people should be aware of the issues facing our allies.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Damn this sucks, I wish we'd just let them have their stinking/glorious country so they can turn it into the cesspit/utopia they want it to be and we can stop wasting money on them.

Same for the scots and welsh, if they want to go, i say let them, they seem to all hate us (english) anyway, so why bother with them.

[edit on 30/3/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RubberBaron
if they want to go, i say let them, they seem to all hate us (english) anyway, [edit on 30/3/2009 by RubberBaron]

I wonder why

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains

Originally posted by RubberBaron
if they want to go, i say let them, they seem to all hate us (english) anyway, [edit on 30/3/2009 by RubberBaron]

I wonder why

Hah, yeah, it is our own fault for starving, killing, opressing, and generally mistreating anyone we come across, and we're just making it worse by keep trying to rule them.

We need to disolve the UK, disband the monarchy, and rebuild hadrians wall to be sure. I'm fed up of all the scots who come to my town cause they have no jobs up there, then spend their time hating us. They try and fit in about as much as the muslims do. We should get more south africans and aussies in, they seem to make the effort.

[edit on 30/3/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

These nuts are playing right into the real culprits hands. As long as they continue they will be scorned by most people and ignored. Only peaceful demonstration and revolt will work. It never fails to amaze me how naive radicals really are.

Sounds like the Los Angeles Race Riots when I was young. If they are like the rioters we have had over here, they are phonies anyway. They just get their rocks off participating and likely know little about what they are protesting. Many are probably in it for whatever they can steal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join