It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panel: All teens should be tested for depression

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

CHICAGO - An influential government-appointed medical panel is urging doctors to routinely screen all American teens for depression — a bold step that acknowledges that nearly 2 million teens are affected by this debilitating condition
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The drug companys just wont quit till they have some bs excuse for every little itch that you have needs to be treated with a pill.....most teens are probably depressed because they are not allowed to do or think for themselvs anymore.....and if you make a mistake ( which all teens do , that is how we learn ) your sent to jail , processed...put on probation and tested for drugs and pshy evaluations for the most minor offenses. grrrrrrrrrrrr

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They must be using mind control on all kids in uk and usa now, and they will stamp on any wrong thought. If you think you do not fit in, you have a chance they will stamp on your head, for the rest of your life.

Here is a clue, do not ever bring someone into this world.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What teenager isn't depressed? I know I was when I was a teenager, your hormones are raging, people telling you what to do, you have no real grasp on life, but messed up stuff happens all around you. Not to mention, you've got all this pressure ( to be cool, to do well in school ect. ). You're pretty much a kid in an adults body, people want you to act older you dont want to, you want freedom, but you cant handle it.

Its like hell, and then you get PIMPLES I wouldnt do that again for the world.
Its depressing just thinking about it! LOL

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
An influential government-appointed medical panel is urging doctors to routinely screen all American teens for depression .... in an attempt to drug them up so we can make more money and have more school shootings since 99% of all school shootings are made by people on anti-depressants.

Yes. This panel is TOTALLY not bought by big pharma.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Most teenagers aren't what i would call depressed there just very emotional. There in between being a child and becoming and adult its a stressful time!

There still being told what to do and how to do it but yet there being told they need to grow up and think for themselves. On top of that hormones are everywhere at this stage making everything seem so much worse then it is.

Its wrong to test them all for it, admitted some teenagers may become depressed but most are just kids growing into adults and there angry, rebellious and easily upset but the majority are just normal teenagers.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Somebodyelse7]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Somebodyelse7]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. I will protest this if it becomes manditory. Conspiracy theories aside, there is no denying that the pharmacuetical industry in this country is trying to medicate all of our youth.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous!!!!
I agree that this is Big Pharma just trying to find another creative way to cash in off of the public at large. If a child is truly depressed, it should be up to the parents to take the chld for psychiatric evaluation. Most kids do go through some rough times as was already mentioned, I myself went through a period of what I would call depression....but hey i'm still here, and if anything I learned alot about myself through said period! Pills aren't the answer to everything....they seem to do more harm than good in many cases.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Earth to Panel of big-brains: almost every teen experiences some form of depression during their teenage life. No test neccesary.

Seriously, these people must have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. Personally I wouldn't go back to the teenage years for anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I agree, what an emotionally crazed time!!!!
I was a master of analyzing every little thing to death lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Considering it ends in suicide some of the time, I feel like something should be done...however, I don't think the problem is a lack of medication, more like how youth are really in one of the worst positions in society. They can't be encouraged to be strong and responsible, because then they'd notice that they don't have any rights and they're being indoctrinated.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Earth to Panel of big-brains: almost every teen experiences some form of depression during their teenage life. No test neccesary.

Seriously, these people must have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. Personally I wouldn't go back to the teenage years for anything.

Are you actually aware of the fact that clinical depression is not just being sulky? It is a matter of brain chemistry, and I think we'd be better off if we didn't discount teenage depression by saying 'it's just like pimples...you'll grow out of it'.

For those who are clinically depressed...antidepressants are a Godsend, and if a clinically depressed teen goes a round of antidepressants...under tight medical control, and their lives improve corespondingly...then that's a good thing.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is a disturbing trend.

I have noticed that more and more blame is being put on "Mental Illness". I think if so many people have "Mental Illness" there is other causes to the problem.

The thing about kids in high school and the like is that they are still young minds and question just about everything. It has to be really confusing for them, as said before they are being told what to think in one instance and in another instance they are being told they have to think for themselves.

When they do they get scolded for thinking the wrong the thing. Many young kids haven't developed the mental capacity to understand what exactly is going on and formulate it into words, it is just a bunch of mixed up crazy feelings that doesn't make any sense for them.

So the bright idea the "brains" come up with is lets blame it on mental illness and put them on drugs.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So they test every teen for 'depression' because its apparently an endemic in society, then it'll be social anxiety, then some other vague category that you can shuffle millions of people into (ADD?), until they have enough nets to catch everyone.

They start teenagers with developing minds and bodies on a battery of brain altering ( Not 'mind altering', since many of those drugs will actually alter your brain chemistry ) and never take them off. Another generation, and people forget they ever lived without a handful of pills to make themselves sheep.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Be what it may, you can't deny that alot of people in general sufer from depression and BiPolar type 1 and 2. Im BiPolar 1 and I will say that if i didn't get help when I was a teenager that I would be dead. Technicalyl I did die once but I was recussitated. So for whatever reason their doing that, some good comes from all evil.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

www.msnbc.msn.com

CHICAGO - An influential government-appointed medical panel is urging doctors to routinely screen all American teens for depression — a bold step that acknowledges that nearly 2 million teens are affected by this debilitating condition

This is bogus junk. I mean, if you don't run around with a smile on your face and ignore everything that's happening around you, then you're suffering from the disease called "depression".

Maybe I should screen that "influential government-appointed medical panel" for depression, because with my test I'll have them drugged up in no time..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

they should do this for sure ... many parents don't realize it nowadays due to the fact that not many teens open up to their parents ... i myself didn't realize that i had anxiety and was depressed til a few months ago and i'm a teen ... i really think it could change a lot of kids lives if they are able to 'treat' it early ...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
it seems that no matter how hard you try,
you just can't pull the gov't or their special interests out of your ass.

It's as if a parasitic tick implanted itself while on a casual stroll through life one day and has been slowly sucking blood and becoming more irritating as time goes by.

Maybe while the doctors are evealuating teens mental states, they can include in their reports that the alleged depression's root cause is the same gov't that is warranting the inspection of mind-state.

link   
I would say this is a good idea. Only problem is that the only thing they are willing to do is give them pills and maybe a psychologist if found with depression. They won't help them change their environment if needed in order for them to get and feel better. So many teens have chronic sleep deprivation which can seem like depression, they will address the "depression" with pills and send you on your way.

If adults were legit in their desire to help teens, this would be nice. But they only do so much to help, which in the end is worthless because it doesn't address what they really need.

A person with severe social anxiety disorder will only be given meds and will be expected to learn in an environment in which they are constantly terrified, it makes absolutely no sense.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

...antidepressants are a Godsend, and if a clinically depressed teen goes a round of antidepressants...under tight medical control, and their lives improve corespondingly...then that's a good thing

Are you kidding me?? I've been on various forms of antidepressants over the years, and they have ALL given me horrible side-effects that made things WORSE for me.
The last pills i took (about a year ago) left me feeling dizzy, gave me cramps, completely dulled my libido(!!), and gave me intense shocking headaches when i tried coming off it, after a few weeks.

Marijuana is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me, and if it werent for that miraculous plant, I'd either be addicted to those debilitating pills or drowning myself in alcohol.

# Obama for laughing at legalization.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join