It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Decorating With the Obamas: they are paying for it themselves

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

Don't they want the taxpayers to help their communities???...they could start by example.

~Holly

Well his political ideology and worldview is probably somewhat based in the fact he took that Harvard Law degree and got into the world of community organization.....

Compared to all the other things you can do when you graduate top of your class that seems like the most selfless one....

***no I don't drink anyone's "KoolAid", I'm just pointing this out don't flame me thank you***

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i don't think i can believe this.. even if it is true a more humble man would have just done it, no need to broadcast it..or make a big deal out of it

poor sheeple....

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

you do realize that you can't keep those sort of things private and hidden from the press, don't you?

...i hope you do.....atleast......*sigh*

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

you do realize that you can't keep those sort of things private and hidden from the press, don't you?

...i hope you do.....atleast......*sigh*

yes sadly i do.. i am far from ignorant

but you have to admit that Obama is one of the most celebrity puppets we have yet to have, he puts his kids, his wife, himself everything he does in the limelight. and not just stuff that will get into the press regardless, i mean he pushes it out there

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Darth_Prime]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

Don't they want the taxpayers to help their communities???...they could start by example.

~Holly

Well his political ideology and world view is probably somewhat based in the fact he took that Harvard Law degree and got into the world of community organization.....

Compared to all the other things you can do when you graduate top of your class that seems like the most selfless one....

***no I don't drink anyone's "KoolAid", I'm just pointing this out don't flame me thank you***

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody will see it.'
- Mahatma Gandhi

One does not need a Harvard Law Degree to help selflessly those that need it, all that Law Degree does is set you higher than those you profess to be helping. Its the ACT from the heart not the EDUCATION/SCHOOLING one has that is charitable to one another.

BTW: Like your quote by Gandhi...especially the first part...kinda fits, huh?

~Holly

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Holly N.R.A.]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Darth, the story was reported by the First Lady's office Press liason.

AND you dare to accuse the President of not being 'humble'?

(Unless you're calling the First Lady a 'man'?)

.....errmmmm.....BTW, this is like thinking that President Obama is 'hands-on' in the decorating, instead of delegating to his wife.....

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Darth, the story was reported by the First Lady's office Press liason.

AND you dare to accuse the President of not being 'humble'?

(Unless you're calling the First Lady a 'man'?)

.....errmmmm.....BTW, this is like thinking that President Obama is 'hands-on' in the decorating, instead of delegating to his wife.....

yes i dare to accuse him of not being humble, and i consider him far less of a man then most i guess.... as far as his wife.. *cough* we can just leave it at that

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes they are and thanks, BTW I did vote for Obama, yes I am not afraid to say it, I also like many others want change, even when I know that they are all the same.

But hey, I dare to dream and hope, right.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Don't worry is nice to make an issue of it
you know is a joke circulating of how the white house will look like now under the Obamas, but if I post it, it will make me look really bad.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg inadvertently brings up an interesting point... she voted for Obama yet at the same time she is quite critical of him... I voted for him as well but I have more of a wait and see attitude....

The thing is (and I have actually seen it discussed on several progressive sites and blogs) us liberals/progressives are not giving Obama the unconditional pass that the hard right gave bush minor over his 8 years.

We are not despite rhetoric from the right suggesting we've drunks some sort of electric kool-aid (for those of you too young to know the reference its '___' spiked kool-aid) we are not blindly devoted to him...

... you will see over the next 4 or 8 years that the left holds Obama's feet to the fire far more than the right ever did bush minor.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So what if he didn't use the 100,000 of alloted funds? It isn't like it isn't going to get spent on something else.

So he didn't think 100,000 was enough and he dicided to use his own money. Good for him, its not like he pays for anything anyways. Every meal he eats, every mile he drives, every plane trip he takes, every vacation he enjoys is paid by us.

So we didn't get to redo his bedroom. WHOOPEEEDOOO!

We get to pay for his weekly Wendsday evening cocktail parties.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

WRONG!!! He has to pay for quite a bit including every meal his family eats that is not state related. They pay for their clothes and personal expenses as well.

Travel and medical are covered.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
We are not despite rhetoric from the right suggesting we've drunks some sort of electric kool-aid (for those of you too young to know the reference its '___' spiked kool-aid) we are not blindly devoted to him...

Actually the koolaide reference is to Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple. It's how the cult leader called all the followers together to drink the poisoned koolaide and the mindless-trons all came forward and drank the deadly koolaide because their cult leader told them to.

And as for who drank the koolaide ... it's usually easy to tell which people have and which have not. Anyone who buys the hype about the WHite House veggie garden or buys the idea that Obama's saving tax payer money because he's not redecorating .... I'd suspect koolaide consumption. Maybe not drunk with it ... but some consumption had possibly happened. Advertising this is obviously a gimmick, especially considering his other spending habits.

As i said - if he really wanted to save taxpayer money and wasn't doing this just for a publicity stunt, then he wouldn't have flown Air Force One to Chicago for a three day weekend with the wife and especially not just 3 weeks after taking office.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jd140

WRONG!!! He has to pay for quite a bit including every meal his family eats that is not state related. They pay for their clothes and personal expenses as well.

Travel and medical are covered.

Sure, you keep thinking that.

That might be the way it is on paper, but you honestly think they pay for their meals?

I didn't say anything about clothing, although I'm sure we pay for some of those suits since it is for state buisness.

I like how you said I was wrong and out of everything I listed you only listed food as the thing I was wrong about.

I suppose Martini Wendsday is state buisness?

I suppose flying your wife to Chicago on Air Force One for Valentinces day is state buisness?

Maybe he pays for his own food. Which I really don't think he or any other President does. What about the rest of the things I listed that we pay for?

Or is the arguement about the food all you had against my post?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Well if that were true, you would not have made your original post.

it's the media that's running with this story

it's not like the Obama's rented a mountain top from which they can scream "IM DECORATING WITH MY OWN MONEY!"

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

jd.....not to belabor a point that YOU brought up that is sorta off...but exactly which airplane would YOU suggest for the First Lady to travel?

Would you be able to find any examples of AF1 being used for Fmr. First Ladies in recent Administrations? BTW, the jet itself is NOT designated 'AF1' unless the President is onboard.

how about this? We'll call it even....the $100,000 or so that they are NOT using for re-decorating could more than easily pay for fuel....or, push it hard enough, and get them to pay for it!!!

This is penny-ante stuff, folks!

Another BTW....I crunched some numbers. Let's use avg 3000/lbs/hr per engine, and at most two hours from DC to ORD. That's somewhere around (rounding up) 4,000 gallons. (Jet-A weighs 6.7lbs/gal).

Now, what does Jet-A cost the Government? We're talking the Military here. OK, let's really throw caution and say it's $3.50 per. I've bumped everything up for the benefit of the doubt....that would be a fuel cost of $14,000.

As I said....penny-ante....let's try to keep things in perspective, hmmmm??

EDIT for jd....I won't even mention how many vacation days and trips to TX or ME our /former/ Pres used AF1........oops, I just mentioned it.

[edit on 3/30/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think you are missing my point.

With the rest of the costs that we absorb for the President and his family. We should expect the President to eat the cost. If I buy a house fully furnished and I don't like the way it is decorated I am expected to pay out of pocket to make it comfortable for me.

I don't see how this is even a story. Its not like that 100 grand is going back into the treasury. We have already payed for it. It was alloted into the budget and it is waiting to be spent. The bill has been sent in and we will pick it up.

I like how you threw in a jab at President Bush though. You got to get your shots in while you can I guess. I mean, you only have so long before Obama is held accountable for what he does. Can't go on blaming Bush for everything forever.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by marg6043

LOL.
speaking of hollywood, if those are your shoes those are really cute.

speaking of hollywood 90% of us television and movies are shot out of country.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There is a a privately funded foundation,"White House Historical Association,' fund set aside specifically for white house redecorating,
I think Jackie Kennedy started it,

Anyway, maybe someone should tell Michelle.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is not taxpayers money, they are good at grandstanding.

Gosh I can be so catty

[edit on 033131p://bMonday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

Well if that were true, you would not have made your original post.

it's the media that's running with this story

it's not like the Obama's rented a mountain top from which they can scream "IM DECORATING WITH MY OWN MONEY!"

and who owns the media? same people who Obama works for. its all a publicity stunt mate..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join