It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Decorating With the Obamas: they are paying for it themselves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Option C this was my first thought....
They don't want people to cash in on their decorating ideas. And contribute to being pop icons, despite what people here say.

They are very down to earth people, it is everyone else tryin to make them celebrities.

But they don't want all these companies to spring up and say. oh the obamas got this tiffany lamp, get a LOOK A LIKE HERE!
I think they really just want to avoid all that hoopla.

I don't think it is coincidence they haven't picked out a dog. I think they are trying to wait long enough so people forget and quietly get one or two. so people don't go running out to get the same ones.

I am really hoping they get rescues.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

and as the house where all presidents has lived since the humble historical beginnings of our nation, it should be respected and never defaced just because now the time of change is to be focused on the nations white house.

um....did you fall asleep during history class?

built between 1792 and 1800 of white-painted Aquia sandstone in the late Georgian style and has been the executive residence of every U.S. President since John Adams.
source

Further more, every president has made changes.

Even further more, the First lady has nothing to do with the executive office, so her doing some decoration has absolutely nothing to do with Barack doing some decision making.

Please, seriously, think before you open your mouth.
Just because Rush Limbaugh makes millions a year spouting ignorance on the airwaves, doesnt mean it can work for everyone...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
Decorating aside, I'm shocked they're raking in over $ 4 million a year.

$4.2 million???? Politics sure is lucrative.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by gottago]

it's more than politics

it's his book deals too, ya know.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well, they sorta have to pay for it themselves. I mean with only sixty days in office an tripleing the amount of money President Bush spent in his whole term, he's gotta do something to make his believers think he cares enough about the country by spending his own money.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Good grief.

it is the private quarters, which the residents have always changed upon moving in. And the oval office. Generally the prez adds a few touches but it relatively remains the same.

The rest of the white house is the public part that generally remains the same.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It is things like this that make me like these people.

Is this a joke? Obama is ALL about PR. Nothing else. And you're buying it. Doing something like this is like the oil compagnies giving 20.000$ for research on alternatives energies while they rape the planet.

He saves us a few thousands bucks and he GIVES 12 TRILLIONS TO THE BANKS.

PR is not working here.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If it were a pr stunt, they would be reporting that they were buying all green post consumer recycled products bought from a small business Indiana that is run by a woman with disabilities. That is a pr stunt. "no comment" isn't.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Actually every first family has been allowed to do with it what they wanted... Truman added the balcony and Teddy Roosevelt added the west wing etc. That is what the allotment is for.

AND it wasn't set up as a museum until Jackie Kennedy suggested it.

The important thing is that it is not a static relic but a living, vibrant constantly changing reflection of America.

Yes I am aware that the white house is to be suitable for every "presidents needs" but under the guidelines of decorum and sensibility, and not "is not the face of every American in the white house either" only for the "privilege few".

And is not be turned into a "Hollywood" "crib" because is time for change".

It is still a museum no matter if Jackelyn was the first one to dictate that.

It has been a museum of priceless possession that is the legacy of every American to relish for generations to come.

I hope Mrs. Obama taste is refined and to the par of previous first ladies before her and not to turned into a circus of "change" because Americas presidential face has been changed.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
do we kow thier really using thier own money? POliticians lie..and obama has lready gone back on many things he has promised. Hell, that HR 1388 is an outrage!
For all we know, he was jsut syaing that, to get headlines and public honesty, thats all...meanwhile, behind closed doors and checkbooks, tax payers loot is being used to re furnish the place. Just a thought that went through my mind..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
$100k can buy a lot of plastic furniture covers. Boring. This is a cheap publicity stunt to make the Obama's seem human. Nonetheless, I'm sure that they can afford it seeing as how Barry got a fat $500k bonus check just days before he was sworn in.

Their own money will kick in when and only when the $100k runs out.

Maybe he will even pay a meager stipend to some volunteers to do the work in the White House. Better yet... I see a new episode of Trading Spaces brewing between the Bidens and the Obamas.

When it is all done the White House will be featured on a new episode of MTV Cribs. This is perfect for our celebrity president.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
When it is all done the White House will be featured on a new episode of MTV Cribs. This perfect for our celebrity president.

And that is exactly my point, still people don't even get it, making the population fix on mundane things rather than focusing on the real problems facing our nation seems to be the topic of the day.

no offense to you Grover and your OP, I agree is a worthy topic.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

So, you are saying that them decorating with their own money is a pr stunt. Though they haven't said what they are decorating with and how.
And this is a hollywood stunt.

Yet, your next statement is that they better have good taste.

So who is really concerned then about how it looks?

because none of us are, we could care less.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I swear for some of you it doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do you will find fault...

... They decide to use their own money... it's a PR scam...

... They used the 100K allotted and thousands more in donations... he's milking the American people...

... They decided not to do any renovations at all... how dare they let a national treasure fall apart...

... They decide to buy only from small retailers.... if they want to reflect America then why didn't they buy wal-mart...

... They bought wal-mart... how dare they not use American crafts people...

They exist and occupy the White House... How dare they!!!

Need I go on to make my point?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

you nailed it right on the head

"my team" politics swarms the moronic masses yet again.
It's sad that people are going to Bash to Obama's for doing things differently and trying to make things change.

Priceless.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

My friend my answer to you . . . Toché

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Oh Goody [soft clapping], the Obama's are paying to decorate with their own money!
Wow, now that is some pretty important and impressive news!

You know what makes me not give a crap? I just painted the kitchen, living room and dining room - wanna know who paid for the paint? ME! I put new carpeting in the upstairs last fall - paid for by ME! Put in some new light fixtures and cabinet hardware - all paid for by ME! Know what else? I paid TAXES on all of those items!

Moving forward, I find it hard to believe that the media continues to wonder why they're tanking. I've got some insight for them - News stories like this, THAT is why they're tanking! Enough with the fluff pieces on the Obamas!
Start covering the news that matters to REAL Americans, not the brain-dead Obamabot drones!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Well according to the current gallop website Obama's approval rating is still at 60%.

www.gallup.com...

And according to today's Rasmussen Report website Obama's approval rating is at 58%.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

AND both hold him as steady at that rate...

AND the current CBS poll has him up from 56% to 61%.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

... so plunging no... but the hard right who counts on people not paying attention want's them to think so.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

WTF are you talking about????????????????????????????

Did you know that Obama's "Ratings" are lower than Bush's at the same point in his presidency? I'm willing to bet that Smileys drop a hell of a lot faster than Dumbaya's did! The media is about the only thing holding his numbers up due to stupid, mundane crap news stories like this. I mean, they need to protect their investment after all - what with Chris Mathews "Tingly legs" and all!

Sadly for you Obamabots though, is that you are beginning to get left behind. Sure, there will be more fluff pieces like this garbage. But it is becoming increasingly difficult for "the one" to hide behind pansy journalism.

Some REAL journalistic coverage of Obama's decline:
Is The Nation Coming To Its Senses?
First 100 Days
Even ppoliticans are turning on him. His lustre is rapidly turning into tarnish. BUT... the leftist shills in the media will continue publishing BS fluff pieces without realizing that fewer and fewer people are paying attention to them.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Did you know that Obama's "Ratings" are lower than Bush's at the same point in his presidency?

Nope. Sure didnt. But it's funny that this is your second time making this statement, and also your second time not backing it up with anything other than your "Word"

Also, lets' just assume for arguments sake that you're correct about the approval rating.

So you're telling me that people are happier prior 9/11 than post 9/11 and find more trust in their president before Bush doomed us all to hell?

Wow. How can that be?

By the way - your immature name calling and repeated use of caps with "my keyboard stuck" punctuation marks is really a great way to get your point across

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

LOL.
speaking of hollywood, if those are your shoes those are really cute.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join