It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My city turns into fortress for NATO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Strasbourg is shutting schools, sending out up to 15,000 troops and police, and even sealing up the manholes into its sewers as the city readies itself to host NATO's 60th anniversary summit.

Anti-aircraft guns have been installed near the city, and there will be a temporary no-fly zone, while traffic on the Rhine will also be halted.

French daily Le Monde said every resident or shopkeeper would have to wear a badge, 13 schools would be closed along with sports fields, while manholes would be sealed.

link

The city has now 2 zones, orange and red, you need a badge if you want to enter in this zones, there is military personnel in various locations, constant helicopter sound even if the summit is in 4 days.

I didn't ask for a badge so i'll not be allowed to walk at the end of my street for 2 days. Oh and the police told to some people to remove their anti-nato flag from their windows. Even homelessness people are not allowed to be in the city during the summit, they told them to move. It's completely crazy.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I thought Germany was progressive.
That is a police state mentality for NATO!

I'm so sorry for you!
Is this on the news at all?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
I thought Germany was progressive.
That is a police state mentality for NATO!

I'm so sorry for you!
Is this on the news at all?

Strasbourg is in France (just at the border with Germany)

But the summit is also in Germany so if think they must be in the same situation.

It's on the news, but not a lot on tv, or only on local.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gechan

Sorry about that, need geography refresher!
Here's one of the only things I can find on the lockdown; Here

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by gechan

Sorry about that, need geography refresher!
Here's one of the only things I can find on the lockdown; Here

In my first post the quote i use is from reuters. It's a lot on the internet, you can search "strasbourg nato" on google news.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
www.dailymotion.com...

Sorry it's in french, but the images speak for themselves.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
So in the report, they are saying that they are expecting 60.000 anti-NATO protestors and that this type of police state/security is the biggest so far for a NATO conference...

More police state, and NATO, the alliance that want to control the world... NO to NATO, NO to SCO.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Would also like to add to this post that the NATO missile defense shield has been on full operational level as of 48hrs ago. It spans from North to South and West to East(East being countries who have an active nato missile defense system.

edit: Almost forgot to mention the AWACS. Oh i do feel sorry for those airman who wont be landing until the summit finishes.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by tristar]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Oh i do feel sorry for those airman who wont be landing until the summit finishes.

??? It's impossible. The summit is taking more than a few hours... What are you talking about?

And why would they turn on the missile shield... seriously, they think that Russia or China would launch a missile at them? HAHAHAHA That seems ridiculous. Even if the NATO meeting place was wiped out, NATO would still counterattack with nuclear weapons.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Oh i do feel sorry for those airman who wont be landing until the summit finishes.

??? It's impossible. The summit is taking more than a few hours... What are you talking about?

And why would they turn on the missile shield... seriously, they think that Russia or China would launch a missile at them? HAHAHAHA That seems ridiculous. Even if the NATO meeting place was wiped out, NATO would still counterattack with nuclear weapons.

What exactly do you think is impossible the air refuel or that they wont be landing. In the off chance you choose either one, keep in mind this is as high as it gets. No expense or human resources is spared.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

What exactly do you think is impossible the air refuel or that they wont be landing. In the off chance you choose either one, keep in mind this is as high as it gets. No expense or human resources is spared.

Yeah but what is the purpose of those planes? Stay in the air while their passengers are at the summit? Or are you talking about the F-18/F-22 enforcing a denial zone for planes around the summit?

They are really afraid of everyone... and anything. And those are our generals... what a bunch of cowards.

They are good for sending our people being killed, but for themselves, they spend everything WE'VE got to protect THEMSELVES from inexistant threats.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yep it sure is absolutely crazy, it is a us and them thing.

no one liner.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Aircraft can stay up for a very long time, the USA used to have a program called "Looking Glass", pre spy satelites. They would keep a AWACS in the air 24 hrs a day. It'd be 3 awacs in 8 hr shifts. Now with UAVs. they can monitor and stay in the air 24 hrs at a pop. Can saturate the air with several if not 100's of them. You would never know.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The standard protocol if my memory serves me correct as when ever such a level summit is held all NATO nations must have and they all do have 6 or so fully armed and fueld on a under 2min scramble and airbone time limit. Now if they are using f-18 or f-22, not sure, but im sure the f-16's are ready to rock n roll.

Also agree with you on looking glass and yes global hawks are widely used and for the benefit of the doubt, one could even be flying right about your home this very minute and you would have no idea about it.

www.fas.org...

But then again what do i know.

top topics

join