It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the movie you just watched

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ishtar (1987)

www.imdb.com...

Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman star in one of the worst comedies ever made. I had heard many critics slam this movie and others state how bad it is, but I still had to give it a try. Warren and Dustin play two terrible singer songwriters, the one joke that this entire movie is. The opening credits have them trying to sing and write a song and it wasn't funny. Multiply it by the 90 or so minutes and you have a truly wretched movie. I tried to watch it all the way through, but I finally turned off this piece of s#!%. One of the worst movies I have ever seen and a total waste of talent to all involved. F

Politist, adjectiv (Police, Adjective 2009)

www.imdb.com...

A different sort of movie about a police officer who is following a teenage boy who he at first thought was a drug dealer and is now just a pot smoker. Does he turn in the boy (who will go to jail for seven years), or does he turn his back on it? The movie follows the slow and tedious process of real life police work. There are no chase scenes or much action, and even lengthy scenes of the police officer just eating his lunch. I think the director wanted us to know this, but it does not make the most interesting film subject at two hours. C

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A few recent views include...

The man from Earth

Very interesting little movie.
No special effects, no jaw-dropping cinematography or explosions.... just a great story and fantastic dialogue.

A lot of ground covered and a very ATS film.

Thoroughly enjoyed.

8/10

Event Horizon

I loved this film when it came out and always remembered it fondly, so when I watched this the other day I was really looking forward to it.... oh dear.
It's not awful and the actual idea is ok..... but the acting is poor and apart from the stunning sets and FX, It looks and feels very B-movie-ish.... and that's not even a bad thing in itself, B-movies are fine...

If you haven't seen this for a long time and remember it fondly.... do not watch this.

5.5/10

Dig

A fantastic documentary that tells the story of two bands, The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
And whether you've never heard of these bands or are a die hard fan of either, the documentary is extremely engrossing... which is a feat in itself.
Some great music, the highs and lows of the bands, including drugs, fights, breakups and so on.

7.5/10

The Talented Mr. Ripley

An absolutely fantastic movie..... great story, stunning cinematography, gorgeous sets and scenery and great acting.
It's also a very dark story and is fascinating if you're a people person.... great characters and great dialogue too.

Been a while since I'd seen this but I'm glad I re-watched.

A timeless, classic movie.

8.5/10

[edit on 12/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Crash (1996)

www.imdb.com...

David Cronenberg's movie that gives an all new meaning to the term auto erotica. David Spader plays a movie director who gets into a car accident and finds himself aroused by it. He meets fellow people who are into the same and stage car crashes for such purposes. Holly Hunter and Rosanna Arquette are also in this independent movie. Not for the squeamish, and definitely one of the stranger movies made by the man who brought us such fare as "Scanners" and "Videodrome". This movie also has critics and the like in an uproar over the meaning. Controversial and morbid, this movie is a great conversation piece for adult viewers. I can't say I really liked this movie, but I found it fascinating. C+

Quelques jours en septembre (A Few Days in September, 2006)

www.imdb.com...

Juliette Binoche stars as Irene, a woman who is mixed up in the spy business. Taking place just before 9/11, she takes a a young couple to meet their father (played by Nick Nolte). Since the young man is only his stepson, he falls in love with the daughter in this predictable film. Not an ounce of chemistry between them makes that part of the film boring. Only Juliette is interesting as Nick Nolte has only a brief appearance in this movie. C-

Movers and Shakers (1985)

www.imdb.com...

Walter Matthew plays a movie exec who promises the dying studio chief (Vincent Gardenia) he will make a sex manual into a hit movie. Charles Grodin also stars as the writer who is picked to do the script, with character actor Bill Macy playing the crazy director. This is another attempt at a comedy that just isn't funny. Mr Grodin did his deadpan stuff in the dreadful "Ishtar", and this is not much better. The only interesting and somewhat funny scene is Steve Martin and Penny Marshall as an aging movie star and his young wife. D

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I just watched an interesting movie called 11:14.

It's starts off with a car crash. Then there are several story lines that occur with different
perspectives and it eventually ties everything together at the very end. Not top notch acting
but it will keep your interest.

I really enjoy movies that intertwine multiple storys and
connect them as was done with the movie Crash or The Nines.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Pulp Fiction (1994)

www.imdb.com...

Samual L Jackson and John Travolta are Jules and Vincent, two hitmen in Quentin Tarantino's classic masterpiece. This is still Quentin's best movie, and it is one he probably will never top. All his movies get compared to this one, whether that is fair or not. There are so many classic scenes, from Harvey Keitel as the fixer to Frank Whaley as the unfortunate young man who double crossed Marsellus. A great film to watch, and one that has to be in its original widescreen presentation to really appreciate. A+

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wristcutters: A Love Story

This movie was amazing. And not emo as you would think. From start to beginning theres never a dull moment. Right in the beginning it shows a young guy comitting suicide. He goes to a sort of...I wouldnt call it heaven...but a place specifically where suicides go. Its exactly like earth except there are no bright colors, no flowers, everything looks in shambles.

But its an adventure from there and I recommend watching it. I found it on Hulu.com

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A Little Trip to Heaven (2005)

www.imdb.com...

Forest Whitaker stars in this indie flick made in Hastings Minnesota by an Icelandic film group. He plays an insurance agent investigating a suspect death in a crash that pays out a million dollar policy. We kind of figure out the mystery that who died in the crash isn't the person who is claimed. I really like Forest Whitaker, but the end of the movie is so contrived and silly that it takes away the independent feel. I am guessing the makers did not know how to end this. C-

Advise and Consent (1962)

www.imdb.com...

Charles Laughton and Henry Fonda head an all star cast in this political movie about a controversial nominee for Secretary of State. If one loves politics, this is a movie they might like. Otherwise it can be quite boring for others. However, after two thirds of the movie a strange plot of blackmail is used that really mars this movie. One senator goes to a gay bar (laughably dated) after meeting a stereotypical gay man (effeminate, obese man with a dozen cats). It was so unintentionally funny that it took away any seriousness this movie began with. The actors are all good, but the ship was sank and they needed to bail. Still many fine moments in the early parts that show how the Senate worked in the early 1960s. Betty White is also in a small role as a senator from Kansas. C-

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Watched some Pacino flicks this week.

Dog Day Afternoon - 6.8/10

As much as I loved this as times, I was equally bored at others. But considering the simplicity of the setting and the plot, they did quite a bit in telling this story. Done without explosions or gunfire, that you'd likely see in a film with a similar plot, the audience does stay entertained on the sheer acting strength of Pacino and Cazale.

Serpico - 6.6/10

Another great character piece for Pacino. It is crazy to think of the characters this guy played over the years and didn't get an Oscor for any of them. Michael Corleone, Frank Serpico, Tony Montana, Sonny Wortzik, etc. This movie has a great story but again, I found it got dry at times. Overall, I do recommend it though.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Big Trouble (1986)

www.imdb.com...

Peter Falk and Alan Arkin (who were in "The In-Laws" together) team up again in this comedy from director John Cassavetes. Mr Cassavetes finds out the hard way that dying is easy and comedy is hard in this unfunny mess of a movie. Alan plays an insurance salesman who wants to send his three boys to Yale, and Peter plays a rather strange man who wants an unusual accident policy. The movie tries to make fun of the classic noir film "Double Indemnity" (including using the train part), and then has an ending that is totally ridiculous. I like the cast, but they all over did it with the slapstick and the acting. Some laughs here and there saved it from being another Ishtar. D+

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Inception:

11/10

What can I say... I loved this movie. It was the best movie experience that I have had in a long time. I think it scored extra for me because I have an unusual interest in dreaming. Anyways, it was fantastic. Great acting, great plot, great ending. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Big Jake (1971)

www.imdb.com...

John Wayne stars as Jacob McCandles in this family affair of a western. His grandson (played be Wayne's real life grandson) is kidnapped and his wife calls him back to home after he left ten years ago to bring the boy back. Many of John Wayne's family members have roles in this movie, and Maureen O'Hara plays the matriarch of the family. Just like many of Wayne's later movies this one is entertaining but no masterpiece. The humor makes it go by quicker, and John Wayne loves these types of roles. C+

Surrogates (2009)

www.imdb.com...

In the not to distant future, people can have robots who look like them go outside while they control them from the safety inside their own house. These robots are called surrogates, and that is the premise of this story that is a commentary about our addiction to the internet. Bruce Willis is an FBI agent (who uses his surrogate at work like everyone else) on a case that starts out as a routine vandalism case that morphs into something bigger (in the future, the FBI is in charge of cases involving surrogates). A very interesting movie with good visual effects. B

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)

www.imdb.com...

Bette Davis and Ann Sheridan star in this comedy about a mean critic (Monty Woolley) is invited for dinner and ends up hurting himself in a fall. He ends up staying at the house and getting involved with everyone else' life. Cute movie from the 1940s that boasts some very good performances. Quickly paced for its two hour run time. B

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Forbidden Planet (1956)

www.imdb.com...

Walter Pidgeon stars as Dr Morbius and Leslie Nielsen stars as Commander J J Adams in this classic science fiction movie. Cmdr Adams lands on a planet 20 years after the first crew landed to see how things are going and to send out a report. He learns all of them died, except for Dr Morbius and his daughter, Altaira. Soon, an unseen monster starts to terrorize the crew and sabotage the ship. Excellent effects for its time and a great plot makes this movie one of the best ones made in the 1950s and 1960s. Robby the Robot made his debut here, and many ideas in this movie have been used in science fiction movies since. The movie is also needs to be appreciated in its original widescreen format, which Turner Classic Movies presents it in. A

[edit on 8/21/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Salt

Predictable, and kinda like a 80s cold war thriller.

The cast except joie were all terrible, including Liev, who I normally like.

Ummmm She is Challenging DEATH.....(inside joke)

6/10

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The Informant!

It wasn't bad. If you enjoy the corporate espionage/conspiracy type stuff, definitely check it out.

8/10.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)

www.imdb.com...

Paul Newman stars as Chance Wayne, a young drifter who returns home with dreams to become a big Hollywood star. Geraldine Page stars as Alexandra Del Lago, an aging movie star on the comeback trail. This movie is an adaption of the Tennessee Williams play, and it is served with high ham. Ms Page is the best thing going in this movie, and the many subplots border on the ridiculous (Chance's girlfriend is daughter of a political boss who hates him; he is trying to blackmail Alexandra with her drug use to sign his contract; etc). One of the weaker movies made from Tennessee Williams' dramas. C+

Ryan's Daughter (1970)

www.imdb.com...

David Lean's epic drama set in Ireland during WWI and the Irish Rebellion won a best supporting actor Oscar for John Mills as mute Michael. Robert Mitchum plays middle aged school teacher Charles Shaughnessy, a widower who marries Rosy Ryan, the daughter of a pub owner. She finds herself very bored with him and has an affair with a British major who is in command of the small occupied force. Soon everyone learns of the affair, and she becomes the town pariah. Well acted and beautifully filmed, this movie clocks in at 209 minutes. B+

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Looking For Eric

Excellent British film... full of humour and also very touching at times.
Even if you're not a fan of Man Utd or Eric Cantona, and I'm certainly not, this film is still well worth watching.

7/10

Triangle

Fantastic "Rubber-reality" movie and one that really got me thinking throughout.... kept my attention and delivered some great WTF? moments.
Wasn't expecting too much from this flick but really enjoyed it.

Any fans of Moon, Donnie Darko, Stay or similar themed films should enjoy this movie.

7.5/10

Piranha 3D

LOL... yes, I really did go and see this today.... and if ever the saying "So bad It's good" applied to a movie, then this is it.
It is actually very gory and also pretty funny... and intentionally so.

If you like B-Movies and like water-based horror flicks.... or you want to see loads of babes in Bikinis, including an hilarious underwater ballet scene featuring two naked women, then go watch this film.

Pure entertainment and please.... leave your brain at the door.

6.0/10 (not a great score but the film is well worth a watch in 3D)

[edit on 24/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

www.imdb.com...

Elizabeth Taylor has the role of Martha and Richard Burton plays the husband George in this filmed version of the stage play. They are a married couple who constantly fight and play vicious mind games with each other. George Segal and Sandy Dennis play Nick and Honey, a couple who come over that night for some drinks. Definitely a drama one has to be in a mood to see, as this one is a very dark look at a marriage that is coming apart. The movie also was very controversial when it was released due to the strong language of Martha, which is rather tepid nowadays. Very good performances by all involved. B+

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Extreme Movie

If you like messed up movies, you'll like this. Have to like something like "Amazon Women on the Moon" and cheesy flicks like "Not Another Teen Movie"....

This one is about dating (and more specifically, sex).

The weirdness of the cast is part of the strangeness. Malcolm from Malcolm in the middle, and Michael Cera from Zombieland, for example. It was entertaining, and really was like watching a mind twitching trainwreck, but in a good way. Was it a great movie? No...but very unique and interesting.... (we're talking Little Person in ass-less chaps kind of weird here.....)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
ZARDOZ very bizzar movie 8 out a 10 crazy shiat

Zardoz is a 1973 science fiction/fantasy film written, produced, and directed by John Boorman. It stars Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling, and Sara Kestelman. Zardoz was Connery's second post-James Bond role (after The Offence). The film was shot by cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth on a budget of US$1 million.

In the year AD 2293, a post-apocalyptic Earth is inhabited mostly by the "Brutals", who are ruled by the "Eternals" who use other "Brutals" called "Exterminators", "the Chosen" warrior class. The Exterminators worship the god Zardoz, a huge, flying, hollow stone head. Zardoz teaches:

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth . . . and kill!

The Zardoz god head supplies the Exterminators with weapons, while the Exterminators supply it with grain. Meanwhile, Zed (Sean Connery), an Exterminator, enters Zardoz, hidden in a load of grain, and shoots (and apparently kills) its pilot, Arthur Frayn (Niall Buggy) (identified as an Eternal in the story's prologue), and travels to the Vortex. The Vortices are hidden communities of civilization where the immortal "Eternals" lead a luxurious but aimless existence.

Trailer for Zardoz (1974)

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join