It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the movie you just watched

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ma and Pa Kettle (1949)

www.imdb.com...

TCM had a Marjorie Main marathon for July 3rd, and featured this popular movie. Ms Main played the title character in this one (and about a dozen other movies). I remember watching these types of movies when I was a kid and loved them. Not sure why now, although the slapstick humor is probably the best reason at that age. Harmless fun for the family, these older comedies let people see the world before TV and the mass media took over.

The Long, Long Trailer (1953)

www.imdb.com...

Ms Main had a small appearance in this movie featuring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz playing the same types of characters they did on TV. They play a young couple who buy a trailer and take a long road trip. Silly slapstick comedy ensues, and Desi curses in Spanish a lot. Another cute movie that is only funny if one is very young. Still, it is nice to see a colorful movie that shows what the landscape looked like before the interstate system and a golden arch place at every town.

Cradle Will Rock (1999)

www.imdb.com...

Having a large cast can be a great thing, and it also can be bad for a movie. This is a case where it is not so good. There are a lot of great actors in this movie about the Federal Theater Program under the FDR Administration. The plot has Orson Welles directing a left leaning play about workers and attempts to censor it by the Government and others. John Cusack plays Nelson Rockefeller who is trying to start an artistic program that will not question things.
Too many plots and characters run around this movie, and even though it runs at over 2 hours, very little is given to any one group. The musical shown is dull and boring (it doesn't help when the cast can't sing a note), and Orson Welles is just a side character. Cutting back and focusing on a few players would of made this movie a standout. C-

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Surfer, Dude (2008)

www.imdb.com...

Matthew McConaughey stretches his acting chops by playing a surfer who is constantly high in this look at selling out. Other known pot heads such as Willie Nelson and Woody Harrelson star in this rather dull movie. It seems like a version of Beach Blanket Bingo, with pot, swearing and topless women added. They just forgot the humor. D

This Is It (2009)

www.imdb.com...

Michael Jackson's concert is shown via the practice sessions he had with his dancers and other crew. Interesting to see how it all comes together, including the directions and changes as the show progresses. The majority of the music is from past albums, with a few new ones. Although thrown together from what would of been a film of his concert (basically we are seeing the extras for a DVD), it still is an entertaining film to watch. Love him or hate him, one cannot deny Michael Jackson was a major talent. B

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Superstition (1982)

www.imdb.com...

This horror movie from the 1980s deals with a witch who haunts an old house after putting a curse there. I would think the people would not even move in there after the first three murders that happen at the beginning, but then we would not have a movie. People get killed in the usual gory R-rated manners, and the audience yawns. Kind of silly, but not scary at all. D

Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)

www.imdb.com...

A young farm hand is plowing and unearths a strange looking skull. After that, the younger men and women of the village start acting strange and following a girl named Angel. While the style of the horror movies from Britain was quite different as the audience tastes changed, they still have their quirks. The beast at the end of the film looks like a person in a bad outfit, and we are supposed to think it is the Devil. Still, a fun horror movie from that era. C

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I just watched the "Hurt Locker"

Was absolutely awesome, ist about the guys that disarm IED's in Iraq...one of the best movies Ive ever seen

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It is a fantastic film, full of tension and so realistic too.
It deservedly battered Avatar at the oscar's, although I liked that too.

But yeah, Hurt locker.... Excellent movie.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
True Romance

Just watched it for probably the sixth or eighth time. One of my top 50, definitely and one of my top 25 depending on what mood I'm in. Watch it if you haven't seen it.

9.5 out of 10.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Torture Garden (1967)

www.imdb.com...

Burgess Meredith plays the mysterious Dr Diablo in this quartet of horror tales. He has four different people look into the shears of the Goddess of Fate to see what their future holds for them. The first tale has a greedy man helping his uncle die to find out the sinister way he made his money. The second tale follows a young aspiring actress who hooks up with a producer and actor with a secret. The third tale is not a very good one about a haunted piano named Terpsichore. The fourth one has Jack Palance as a collector of Edgar Allan Poe's works who meets another collector and finds out how far his collection goes. A lot of humor and hammy performances in this one make it fun to watch. B

Judy Berlin (1999)

www.imdb.com...

Madeline Kahn had her last movie role in this quirky black and white movie about the citizens of a small town in Long Island. The action happens on a day an eclipse happens, and many characters come to decisions about their lives. At least that is what the filmmaker seems to have intended. While this is an interesting movie, I was expecting a lot more with the great cast of actors including Anne Meara, Barbara Barrie, Edie Falco, Julie Kavner and Bob Dishy. Not a bad film though, but one leaving me wanting to learn more about the characters. B-

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Harry Brown.

Good movie. It's like a wet dream for the popular English Press. Teenagers are drug dealing, gun carrying psychopaths who all wear hoodies. The Police are stupid, political stooges. The only thing wot can save our great nation is for honest men to rise up and deal vengeance. Yeah, it was BS. Still enjoyed it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Invictus

I just this movie a couple of days ago. I thought it was a great story with a great cast. too bad it did poorly at the the theaters.

I'd recommend it for a good story.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

www.imdb.com...

This is the first and best movie from the Monty Python troupe about King Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail. Outrageously funny most of the time with the rudest French guards ever, this movie is highly recommended for not only lovers of Monty Python, but the zany comedy. From the opening credits to the end, many laugh out loud moments from this gem. A+

Edited to add:

Minstrel: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away...
Sir Robin: *No!*
Minstrel: [singing] bravely ran away away...
Sir Robin: *I didn't!*
Minstrel: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
Sir Robin: *I never did!*
Minstrel: [singing] Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out.
Sir Robin: *Oh, you liars!*
Minstrel: [singing] Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Robin.

[edit on 7/13/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Smile (1975)

www.imdb.com...

Bruce Dern and Barbara Feldon star in this satire of beauty pageants and pop culture. This movie does not spare the vapidness of the main characters and it still holds true today, although reality shows are what people will do anything for instead of beauty contests. Good performances from the entire supporting cast, this often ignored little film is recommended for anyone who wants to remember or learn what the 1970s were about. A

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I can still watch the Holy Grail and crack up, even knowing most of the lines by heart... (it's a geek thing, and required by geek law)....

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Shes Out Of Your League.

The movie was pretty funny, I laughed a few times through out. But I have to say, it was pretty predictable. You can always tell whats going to happen in these type of movies. But it wasnt horrible.

The Room Across The Hall.

I actually never even heard of this movie until I stayed the night at my sisters house and she suggested we watched it, and she said it was one of the best movies she ever watched. Brittany Murphy gave a good perfmorance as her last movie since her passing. You really have to pay attention because the movie cuts from Middle, To End, To Beginning alot. All in all, it was a good suspense thriller, and you'll never guess the end.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Requiem For A Dream.

This was a movie I watched about a month ago, was one of Justins favorite movies and I just got around to watching it. I have to say the movie was fantastic, but disturbing. It follows a handful of people through there life as drug addicts. A very raw and real movie, to show that not all stories have happy endings. Enough to scare anyone out of taking drugs, thats for sure.

Jared Leto's performance was amazing and it was nice to see Marlon Wayans playing a serious part for a change, and I hope he picks up roles like this more often because I didnt expect him to be able to act in a drama so good.

This movie is definetly worth watching, if not a few times.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"Inception"

One of the few original movies I've seen in a long time. Well written and directed by Chris Nolan, great cast, characters you could care about and mind blowing CGI, great sets and locations, set dec, a very well crafted film. I found it a bit to complicated and found myself going whaaa? a few times.

Also I'm not a big fan of MTV style of filmmaking with a cut every 3 seconds but this is a must see movie for ATSers.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yes, saw Inception yesterday too...... WOW.
Fantastic movie and not what I expected.
They've been very tight-lipped with the script and to be honest I haven't wanted to find out too much.

So I went along on the opening day, paid my money and sat down to watch it.

I thought it was great, what the cinema was made for... and although it wasn't as action-packed as i thought, that was certainly not a bad thing.... I went in not hoping for too much and came out pleasantly surprised.

Loved the ambiguity of the ending too.... although It could be seen as not ambiguous, the more you think about it, it was very odd indeed.... not just the totem but a few other details.

Great movie and my fav kind of movie to be honest, The good 'ole "Rubber Reality" movie.

8/10...

To be fair that's pretty high for me.... not many get above that and Only those in my top 10-20 movies ever get a 9 or a 10.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Circus of Horrors (1960)

www.imdb.com...

The title is great but very misleading. A doctor with homicidal tendencies changes his name and becomes the head of a circus. He still performs plastic surgery, transforming young women who were scarred into beautiful women who join his circus. He just won't let them leave, and the ones who want to end up dying. I thought this movie would have our dear doctor transforming people into freaks, but that is not what happens. Not even a horror movie, but a strange one anyways. D+

Berserk (1967)

www.imdb.com...

Joan Crawford plays the owner of this circus where people start getting murdered. The first 15 minutes have a little bit of mayhem in them, but the next hour nothing happens. Then we go back to more murders. Not really a horror movie but a murder mystery that most people should have solved about half an hour before the movie ends when they introduce the red herring. This was Joan's second to last movie (Trog was her last one), and she is at least professional still. Kind of sad her final roles were to second and third rate horror type movies. D+

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Barton Fink (1991)

www.imdb.com...

Joel and Ethan Coen's satire stars John Turturro as a play writer who is brought in to Hollywood by a studio mogul in 1941. The writer then gets writer's block and meets all sorts of quirky characters. The problem with this weaker Coen movie is that it is one of the dullest movies out there. There is no feeling for any of the characters in this movie, and we don't care what will happen with them. It is a stylish looking movie and has a great cast, but it never takes us in the world it is trying to create. C-

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Wackness (2008)

www.imdb.com...

Josh Peck stars as a young man who just graduated high school and tries to figure out what he wants out of life. He also deals pot on the side, and talks with his customer/shrink who becomes his friend. Not a bad movie, but nothing really special either. It is interesting to see young Josh Peck break out from his children's TV show and try an adult role. Ben Kingsley plays the shrink, who seems crazier than any of his patients. C+

La belle et la bête (Beauty and the Beast, 1946)

www.imdb.com...

A beautiful telling of the story by filmmaker Jean Cocteau. This masterpiece has wondrous effects in it and stunning make-up. Both Jean Marais and Josette Day are perfectly cast as the Beast and Belle. For those who do not want to see the singing teacups version, this is a masterful movie that shows how they used to make them. A+

Greta Garbo after seeing this movie: "I vant my beast back!"

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Knight and Day: 8/10

A good movie, easy to watch.

A little overdone

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join